Constantly cruising reagents canal and lea

Cara face

Featured Posts

What is it that makes people want to live in London? I can't stand the place!

Allegedly, outside of London there are no jobs, no culture, no entertainment, no 'life' - nothing.

You would have thought that there are a large number of jobs with 'transferable' ( outside of London area) skills everything from the 'service sector' ( there are McDonalds and even restaurants outside of the M25), to Doctors, Nurses, Police, etc etc, and, even teaches are in demand.

Allegedly, outside of London there are no jobs, no culture, no entertainment, no 'life' - nothing.

Quite right too - stay in London. It's cold out here in the north with only whippets for company

Richard

IF ( and its a big 'if') it is the one I linked to then it does have a diverter switch to a small pump-out tank.

However - I seem to remember that this is a BSS fail ( research needed) and it is probably only around 100 litres which would not last long and requiring pump out every 2 weeks or so at best.

It isn't a BSS fail as ours has one!

BSS Section 9.2.1 "Sanitation Systems"

As long as there is a diverter valve installed, and the pump-out tank cannot be discharged overboard then it is OK.

However the size of the tank would still remain a potential problem

Found your post now rolleyes.gif

Our BSS examiner this year asked if we had a holding tank as well as the sea toilet. We verbally told him we had and he ticked it off the list. As it happens we do have one, but he never even checked.

You would have thought that there are a large number of jobs with 'transferable' ( outside of London area) skills everything from the 'service sector' ( there are McDonalds and even restaurants outside of the M25), to Doctors, Nurses, Police, etc etc, and, even teaches are in demand.

Shh

Well you'd think that but those kind of jobs seem to get snapped up quicker outside of the capital, I have several friends ( with transferrable skills) that have left. The ambulance controller has finally got a job after four years, the fireman ( on my mooring) three years, the warehouse manager, two years. There are more of these jobs in London, for sure. Probably because no one can afford to live here to do them. No wonder there are so many teachers and firemen living on boats, here. And then there are those with the none transferrable skills, lots of people who work in the theatre and tv, their jobs are here, their pay is awful.

Found your post now rolleyes.gif

Our BSS examiner this year asked if we had a holding tank as well as the sea toilet. We verbally told him we had and he ticked it off the list. As it happens we do have one, but he never even checked.

Does that come as a surprise to you ?

Our boat has a BSS, it has sea toilets that can go into a holding tank and that tank can be either pumped overboard via a sea-cock, or, via a pump-out Vacuum machine.

Should be a BSS failure but when the examiner can pass fire extinguishers with a clear 'not to be used after date', dated 5 years before the exam, it might be a bit much to expect him to notice how the toilet works.

Well you'd think that but those kind of jobs seem to get snapped up quicker outside of the capital, I have several friends ( with transferrable skills) that have left. The ambulance controller has finally got a job after four years, the fireman ( on my mooring) three years, the warehouse manager, two years. There are more of these jobs in London, for sure. Probably because no one can afford to live here to do them. No wonder there are so many teachers and firemen living on boats, here. And then there are those with the none transferrable skills, lots of people who work in the theatre and tv, their jobs are here, their pay is awful.

I know we have had this 'discussion' before.

I have just done a quick google search for "Theatre Jobs" and in the 'Guardian' alone there are 37 vacancies of which 19 were in London. (everything from Director level jobs, to painting scenery and selling tickets)

There are 1729 jobs advertised 'in TV' on the "Indeed" website ( but I'm not counting how many are in London). The locations vary from London to Manchester to Birmingham to Southampton

I would suggest that very few skills are non-transferable.

Quite right too - stay in London. It's cold out here in the north with only whippets for company

Richard

Depends upon your personal situation. There is a cross section of London life - only the bad end ever gets winged about in here nearly exclusively by those that don't live in or work here.

Edited by mark99

Depends upon your personal situation. There is a cross section of London life - only the bad end ever gets winged about in here nearly exclusively by those that don't live in or work here.

Now, I know that is wrong. I've visited London a few times and it was always hot, lots of theatres and museums and shows and stuff. No-one ever needs to leave and come to the rest of the country.

It's rubbish everywhere else, honestly. You won't like it. I wouldn't leave if I were you.

Richard

It's rubbish everywhere else, honestly. You won't like it. I wouldn't leave if I were you.

Richard

Seconded. I'm sitting here with no other boats in sight, no traffic noise, no trains hooting, no footballs being kicked around, no cyclists racing to work and back, no aircraft going overhead all day.

I'm desperately bored and wish I was in London, with all the above much more readily available.

Edited by Loafer

Now, I know that is wrong. I've visited London a few times and it was always hot, lots of theatres and museums and shows and stuff. No-one ever needs to leave and come to the rest of the country.

Richard

I enjoy everywhere I visit London and outside London - there is always something positive if one opens the mind.

Incoming curved ball......

What about looking at boating on the Medway and commuting by train to SE London.

You will need a mooring .......

But you have all the nice tidal bits around the Swale to play with.

It's kind of plausible; Strood to Greenwich (change at Woolwich) is just under an hour, and I get the impression that a residential mooring there is a realistic possibility. Probably because of the commuting time and cost.

Going the other way, it's usually easy to find a spot to moor on the towpath in West London on the lower GU, if you cc out to there, but that part of your cruising pattern will leave you with a long commute to get to Greenwich. For a fit cyclist it's about two hours each way from say West Drayton; public transport would be just over an hour.

I live in London a lot.

There are things you must understand about London to live there.

Theatres. These are for visitors, not for residents. Residents do not pay silly money for these nonsenses. In 40 years I have only been to the Hackney Empire for a couple of Panto's and that for the children.

Jobs. Lower paid jobs require that you speak at least one foreign language. Speaking English is optional.

Jobs. Higher paid jobs require that you live outside the Capital and commute in, even if the job could perfectly well be done at home with suitable organisation by the Employer.

Transport. The best form of travel is by tube but these are packed so a very expensive extra service is being built to bring even more people in from the West. But this is alright because they are rich bankers.

Ken made the bus service exceedingly good, but this is being corrected by blocking them with bicycles and introducing Boris's Blunder Buses.

Housing. This is an interesting area as it is one where Market Forces are completely unable to operate. No matter how high housing costs get, pay rates do not rise. The solution is the hilarious concept of affordable housing. The popularity of boats for housing reflects the remaining market force which says that as the cost of housing goes up the size of the accommodation shall go down. Tip: The value of petite day boats will soon start to rise as their potential for London housing is realised. Invest now!

Health. Take care where you live in London if you are not in the best of health. Soon there will be just one enormous, supper efficient, permanently bankrupt, hospital, serving all of the Capital, which could be quite a journey.

Schools. Note that knives are required school equipment.

Marches. If you are keen on protest marches, being a resident can save you time and even allow you to do two marches in a single day.

The London as opposed to the National Anthem is simple to recognise as it only has two notes "Hoo" and "Haa" and is always accompanied by flashing blue lights. Legend has it that a true Londoner will pass away if heshe does not hear it at least once per day.

• Greenie 3

Don't be silly, we all know that if you go beyond the M25 you will either fall off the edge of the world, or if you manage to escape that you will be eaten by the cannibals!

If only!

Trouble is a fair few London boaters have got the taste for boating and also realised that London is crap, so a steady stream are moving to the Western K&A as the nearest "community", and sadly bringing their London culture with them. Mooring on lock landings looks pretty standard stuff this winter and the pubs are charging £3.90 for a pint. Where will it end?

and there's a load of diggers right next to me here, I think they might be building an underground railway!

.....................Dave

Heavy irony doesn't work for you, does it

Richard

Dunno what you are on about.

It's a very regular thing in here to see London slagged off with a dismissive sentence. Don't be surprised if someone who hails from there there, lives on the outside and works regularly in the centre likes it for what it is, one of the worlds greatest cities <for all it's good and bad> pops up to add an occasional positive for London. History, beauty, diversity, madness, ugliness, variety, it's all good.

Edited by mark99

Theatres. These are for visitors, not for residents. Residents do not pay silly money for these nonsenses. In 40 years I have only been to the Hackney Empire for a couple of Panto's and that for the children.

So right! When I lived in London many years ago people would say "Oh I couldn't leave London - I would miss the theatres etc." When queried as to when they last went to the theatre it was usually years ago. I left London in 1977 after living there for six years as a student. It was a great place to live as a student, but I have set foot on a London street only twice since. The only thing I possibly miss are the major museums. The Science and Natural History Museums were my second home.

So right! When I lived in London many years ago people would say "Oh I couldn't leave London - I would miss the theatres etc." When queried as to when they last went to the theatre it was usually years ago. I left London in 1977 after living there for six years as a student. It was a great place to live as a student, but I have set foot on a London street only twice since. The only thing I possibly miss are the major museums. The Science and Natural History Museums were my second home.

I still like the fact that there are districts in London I've still never been to even though I've worked in and around London since the 70's.

When going to a site visit in London, I take an hour or so to explore local bits either before or after the visit. Last week visited Canary Wharf cluster and was quite bemused to find out just how much is going on under street level there. At street level it looks pretty desolate.

Edited by mark99

I've no doubt that you should take all the warnings about enforcement seriously and think very carefully about the realities of CCing in London. Having said that, if anyone can do it, it's surely a teacher who (in theory) has the option of using school holidays to take regular trips well outside of her term-time cruising range. If you genuinely see yourself heading off along the Grand Union, the Thames, the K&A etc. several times a year, sometimes for weeks at a time, that really ought to mark you out as a "genuine" CCer in CRT's terms.

If only!

Trouble is a fair few London boaters have got the taste for boating and also realised that London is crap, so a steady stream are moving to the Western K&A as the nearest "community", and sadly bringing their London culture with them. Mooring on lock landings looks pretty standard stuff this winter and the pubs are charging £3.90 for a pint. Where will it end?

and there's a load of diggers right next to me here, I think they might be building an underground railway!

.....................Dave

Ahem. You've gorn too far west.

I've just enjoyed a couple of pints in The Red House pub at Marsh Benham for a paltry £3.80 each!

cheers.gif