Winter Moorings - Planned to fail?

pearley

Featured Posts

On the winter mooring list is Sutton Bridge Tamworth. On the Fazeley side of the bridge are several hundred metres of piled edge with about 100 metres of rings, although not signed as a Visitor Mooring.

So if booking a Winter Mooring from the published list most boaters would assume that the designated Winter Mooring would be part of this length.

Not so! The canal bank on the Hopwas side is grass bank, about 12 inches high for several metres near the Bridge but falling away to just a few inches high further away, with irregular edge and shrubs growing in part of it.

So CRT in their wisdom have signed this bit as Winter Moorings. It is almost as if they want the whole scheme to fail. But CRT wouldn't want that, would they?

A sign has been erected, yesterday, indicating winter moorings at Rugeley.

However, they are not where you'd expect them to be, near the town, there are about half a miles away beyond the aqueduct. No water, no facilities at all. Quite near a main road bridge so you will have the noise of the cars to keep you company.

Perhaps CRT want them to fail. Just a thought.

Martyn

Well the winter mooring sign is where you would expect to be at Bourneville on the offside gated mooring....

But I understand from fb it seems to indicate that all the visitor mooring plus some extra bank (which is hard surfaced with no rings) is allocated to winter mooring. So much for 50%.

How do you know if the moorings are booked or not? If you are cruising as n I real and want to stop, and no one, or few, are moored, can you more for a few days anyway? This may have come up in another thread I have missed, apologies if so.

How do you know if the moorings are booked or not? If you are cruising as n I real and want to stop, and no one, or few, are moored, can you more for a few days anyway? This may have come up in another thread I have missed, apologies if so.

You can moor up but have to move if someone with a permit for that space turns up.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

I'm having problems getting into the winter mooring site - I'm going to have to phone them Monday. In the meantime can someone with access do us a huge favour and check whether there are spaces available at Westport Lake on the T&M pretty please?

I'm still not sure whether I've got work in the area but it'd be handy to know.

100m available - that is all of them! £10 per metre, £13.50 at Etruria.

We passed through this year and considered it for another year but I thought it was awkward for services. Back to Etruria for services and don't think there is winding hole nearby. Water at Harecastle Tunnel but again not sure about winding.

Val

We passed through this year and considered it for another year but I thought it was awkward for services. Back to Etruria for services and don't think there is winding hole nearby. Water at Harecastle Tunnel but again not sure about winding.

Val

There's water at Etruria too and you should be able to wind before the lock at the bottom of the Caldon.

Val

Thanks Val. Can do water, pump out and elsan at Festival Park Marina - I'm pretty sure you can wind before the tunnel but will check.

Does anyone know what the uptake is of these moorings?

Val

There is a winding hole before the Harecastle and one about half a mile towards Eturia at/near Br 127. At Eturia you enter the Caldon for the services and there is a winding hole a few hundred yards further up.

As I said, no uptake! No bookings on the site for either moorings. For me it does beg the question whether you could CC, if you have to move back to Etruria for services, although as I said there is water at Harecastle.

Or pay for a mooring for a month then 2 weeks one site, 2 weeks the other then another months mooring.

Val

As I said, no uptake! No bookings on the site for either moorings. For me it does beg the question whether you could CC, if you have to move back to Etruria for services, although as I said there is water at Harecastle.

Or pay for a mooring for a month then 2 weeks one site, 2 weeks the other then another months mooring.

Val

Thank you.

We spent the last two winters on the roving winter mooring scheme at Wedgwood and that was difficult with water being fetched by car. This would be far more convenient.

Val

If you don't need to moor over winter then don't. Cruising in winter is wonderful. Doesn't have to be daily just a small distance as and when.

I guess people have reasons for mooring up but personaly staying put for months would drive me nuts even more so when you pay extra to do it.

If you don't need to moor over winter then don't. Cruising in winter is wonderful. Doesn't have to be daily just a small distance as and when.

I guess people have reasons for mooring up but personaly staying put for months would drive me nuts even more so when you pay extra to do it.

I agree. We've had some lovely winters where we've cc'd all winter - it's a great time of year for cruising. Unfortunately we need to top the coffers up so both need to work through the winter to pay for next summer's cruising. That's when it gets arduous so we'll take a winter mooring and have a nice little cruise when we need to top up and empty stuff. Edited by Ange
added a bit for clarity

All the winter moorings on the K&A east of (closed) Newbury have long been sold.

Definitely a 'fail' there then!

I hope they've got huge water tanks and cassette toilets because, if the Kennet floods as it has a habit of doing in the Winter, they won't be able to get to any services from either location.

Keith

Edited by Steilsteven

A sign has been erected, yesterday, indicating winter moorings at Rugeley.

However, they are not where you'd expect them to be, near the town, there are about half a mile away

Have you been to Rugeley? I would rather be half a mile away from it than in the middle of it for any length of time.

Have you been to Rugeley? I would rather be half a mile away from it than in the middle of it for any length of time.

Yep! We're there now. Waiting for our GP surgery to get their act together and send a prescription to Boots here.

Not the best place we have visited. We are running out of water as well. Seems to be a shortage of water points.

Martyn