Fishermen rights

pendle

Featured Posts

Indeed they do.

All features that make them IDEALLY suited for a boat to come alongside, whilst sections that don't have those features are less suitable.

Do those features make it easier to drown maggots?

While some anglers delight in hiding behind the undergrowth so that you can't see them as you approach, I am sure a number prefer to sit where they have a view over the water and somewhere firm to set down their kit. And where better than a lock or visitor mooring?

While some anglers delight in hiding behind the undergrowth so that you can't see them as you approach, I am sure a number prefer to sit where they have a view over the water and somewhere firm to set down their kit. And where better than a lock or visitor mooring?

And of course, anglers MUST have jsust what they want, even if they COULD have fished somewhere else and their right to do as they please means that a boater can't get in to the side at all.

Perhaps because, on the whole, lock and visitor moorings have a firm bank and the grass cut up to the edge?

I suppose that must be it, but because I think of angling as something traditionally done beside natural water features like rivers and ponds, I don't see how it can be that much of a hardship to use a slightly 'wilder' patch of canal bank/towpath. It feels a bit like heading out for a picnic and setting up in the middle of a layby because the ground there is so nice and flat.

We are on the Great Ouse system.

A couple of weeks ago we went to Ely and found a space on the park! Yippee! This area is dedicated to 48 hour moorings and spaces are, at times, like gold dust.

The gap was approximately 90ft long and our boat is 60ft. There was an angler about a third of the way between the other two boats. As we prepared to go in he stood up and shouted that we could not moor there and should "f*** off* somewhere else. We ignored him and continued the mooring up operation.

What ensued was beyond reasonable. He shouted, screamed and hurled obscene abuse at us, threatened violence and insisted that he had priority over the 90ft of riverbank.

We ignored the ranting and moored up. The abuse and threats only stopped when I started to take photographs of the mooring and the positioning of his gear and our boat. All he needed to do was move his keep net out of the way so that it was not in danger of being damaged.

Our experience of anglers has always been pretty good...live and let live from both sides goes along way to promoting harmony. This man was not taking part in a match. He seemed to think that he could commandeer 90ft of busy riverbank moorings and that boaters should accept this.

He gathered up his gear and stomped off, still yelling threats of retribution against us, our boat, our dog, our parrot and future descendants unto the 7th generation.

He was probably in his late seventies. I just hope I have that much energy at his age.

On that note, does the closed season exist to give the fish a chance to breed or the fishermen?

You would think so but there are large numbers of deeply committed anglers whose priorities are different and they merely move their activities to waters where the close season is either different or non-existent.

As an older angler I can accept that this is reasonably tolerable but, when younger, I happily did my bit to ensure that the species did not die out on British waters.........

wink.png

Edited by tidal

Well I must say I hadn't realised quite how much I should be despising fishermen until this thread. I clearly need to review my attitude and stop getting on with most people I meet.

I've had a quick look and the sh#t list appears to include: fishermen (obviously), anyone with a bicycle, all CRT employees, shiny boats, ramblers, moorers of any type, people in hats..... Oh dear, I've just realised how long it's going to take to type this list on a phone!

Too much like hard work - I know it's lazy of me, but I'm just going to continue deluding myself that most folks are ok and it's only a small minority in every group that spoil things.

• Greenie 3

I have nothing against Anglers and my Dad is a keen one, my jokes were just harmless humour nothing more.

I just wish some would move their rods to let people pass, thats all.

Theirs nothing wrong with a bit of harmless humour, the world would be miserable without it.

please dont take any offence at anything ive said in this thread.

Edited by grumpy146

Well I must say I hadn't realised quite how much I should be despising fishermen until this thread. I clearly need to review my attitude and stop getting on with most people I meet.

I've had a quick look and the sh#t list appears to include: fishermen (obviously), anyone with a bicycle, all CRT employees, shiny boats, ramblers, moorers of any type, people in hats..... Oh dear, I've just realised how long it's going to take to type this list on a phone!

Too much like hard work - I know it's lazy of me, but I'm just going to continue deluding myself that most folks are ok and it's only a small minority in every group that spoil things.

You forgot to mention toilets !!!

:)

please dont take any offence at anything ive said in this thread.

None taken Grumpy :)

My point is a general one, if we look for the worst in people, we'll find it and it brings us down - so many threads here are like that. The reverse is also true though, and I prefer to view the canal as a really a happy place with just the odd curmudgeon or criminal. :)

Eta missing word.

Edited by Sea Dog

None taken Grumpy :)

My point is, if we look for the worst in people, we'll find it and it brings us down - so many threads here are like that. The reverse is also true though, and I prefer to view the canal as a really a happy place with just the odd curmudgeon or criminal. :)

Cool, thats what I am hoping to find living on the canals. :-)

cant wait.

Have you seen the photo on Facebook of the Nottingham canal festival where CRT taped off the moorings especially for fishing.

11132331.jpghttp://www.nottinghampost.com/images/localworld/ugc-images/276368/Gallery/images/27962433/11132331.jpg

So, that's CRT's new plan, squeeze out the boaters and let the other interest groups have priority. Probably less hassle and certainly less maintenance to do.

Bobhelp.gif

Have you seen the photo on Facebook of the Nottingham canal festival where CRT taped off the moorings especially for fishing.

11132331.jpghttp://www.nottinghampost.com/images/localworld/ugc-images/276368/Gallery/images/27962433/11132331.jpg

I would point out that there seems to be a particular reason in this case. The fishermen in question appear to be wheelchair users.

Walking my dog along the towpath last year during a fishing match, I stopped to talk to a few of the men fishing. I found it quite interesting to learn about their sport, even though it seems quite cruel. Most of the contestants in the match were very friendly and happy to move their rods to let me and my dog pass.............But one very grumpy middle aged git refused. His rods were too high to jump over without taking a run at it and risking my dignity, I couldn't walk round or crawl under, he turned very nasty. So I smiled sweetly and said "if you don't move your rods I will go and get my boat and sail up and down for the rest of the day" He moved his rods double quick!!! YES!

Am I correct in thinking that the rods that are not getting moved are infact poles. Very different tackle. If so they are poles then it should only be in whilst baiting up. Unused lengths are.well should be along the banking on canals.

Am I correct in thinking that the rods that are not getting moved are infact poles. Very different tackle. If so they are poles then it should only be in whilst baiting up. Unused lengths are.well should be along the banking on canals.

Rods and poles? Are they catching perch(es)?

Edited by David Mack