Waterway idiots

dave moore

Featured Posts

Just over a week ago I took Resolute from Glascote to Huddlesford for the L H CT rally, the first bit of boating I've done for a while. I pass moored boats on tick over and was pleased to be thanked by the owners for so doing. So far, so good. Shortly afterwards a boat approached from the opposite direction at full throttle, water boiling over the offside bank. I moved over slightly, as I have done for many years, giving us both the benefit of deeper water in the channel. He didn't slow, waved to me to move over further, which I ignored.

" You're on the safe bank! " he screamed as he passed....I've never heard the inside or towpath side called that in many years of boating.

" You could ease off! " I replied.....

" Others have told me that! " he yelled, without putting the offered advice into practice.

A boat's length away, his final shot was to accuse me of being a self abuser....the pot calling the kettle black, methinks....what's your view?

Cheers!

Dave

Somehow I guess he wasn't a professional helmsman. I can happily dance the boat round the local trip boat on a bend, because we both know the shuffle, but some folks go full revs without any thought of what happens if they can't get round. Ps safe bank, etc wtf is he yelling about?

Personally I approach oncoming boats at a little more than tickover, and expect them to do the same, especially in narrow or shallow sections, that way we can avoid any last minute problems caused any excessive displacement of water. If a boat comes at me full speed, I do not move over very much, like Dave we have a deep hulled boat, and I have been pulled onto the mud far too many times to risk it happening again. If they don't like it, it is their problem, they should behave with a little more respect for other boats.

In the old days there was a 15 foot ash pole with a boxing glove on just for these occasions. If a lippy barsteward give it the biggun after thinking he was safely past you, you could give him a quick box round the ears. :)

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 2

I've no idea who he was, boat wise, other than a first class foreskin tugger. The more I see of this kind off behaviour, the less I want to bother....those of us with long memories of bygone eras are all similarly minded, there is a new class of tosser abroad that are welcome to the cut....I still enjoy boating, preferably in quiet times when they are moored up. Sorry..

Dave

I've no idea who he was, boat wise, other than a first class foreskin tugger. The more I see of this kind off behaviour, the less I want to bother....those of us with long memories of bygone eras are all similarly minded, there is a new class of tosser abroad that are welcome to the cut....I still enjoy boating, preferably in quiet times when they are moored up. Sorry..

Dave

'Foreskin tugger'

Brilliant.

In the old days there was a 15 foot ash pole with a boxing glove on just for these occasions. If a lippy barsteward give it the biggun after thinking he was safely past you, you could give him a quick box round the ears. :)

Now there's a thought. Line up before they pass and you could engage in a bit of narrowboat jousting.

Somehow I guess he wasn't a professional helmsman. I can happily dance the boat round the local trip boat on a bend, because we both know the shuffle, but some folks go full revs without any thought of what happens if they can't get round. Ps safe bank, etc wtf is he yelling about?

With regard to 'safe bank', many do hold that there is greater depth on the towpath side.

I think it is a case of showing respect for other boaters by slowing down and taking into account the depth of your boat and the perceived depth and maneuverability of the approaching boat.

Of course you do get the occasional septic tankers (and I don't mean those across the pond) ...

Now there's a thought. Line up before they pass and you could engage in a bit of narrowboat jousting.

Here's some jousting by my crew this summer. We needed the boathooks to close the gates at Cowbridge lock, Boston - it has no balance beams... Boston golf course in the background

dscf6047.jpg

With regard to 'safe bank', many do hold that there is greater depth on the towpath side.

I think it is a case of showing respect for other boaters by slowing down and taking into account the depth of your boat and the perceived depth and maneuverability of the approaching boat.

Of course you do get the occasional septic tankers (and I don't mean those across the pond) ...

They obviously haven't ever been on the widened sections of the Northern Oxford, we canniot get to within three feet of the towpath where those huge slabs are still present.

Dave

Don't be sorry Dave and don't let one twerp get to ya. I'm out today perfect weather on the GU in an idyllic spot and hardly seen a boat pass. :)