Running engines before 8pm

JamesWoolcock

Featured Posts

Not so. I always moor here when In Birmingham and I had a lovely weekend. I was in The Prince of Wales.

A more extensive range of beers, and some quite loud music too on some evenings.

I can be very quiet, but on other evenings it can get very busy later on. If its too busy then the dog prefers the Flapper!

...................Dave

Worst thing you can do for an engine, just start it and leave it for half an hour to make sure its OK. If you are going to start it you need to work it so it reaches full working temperature, I should just lay there for a year at least with no problem especially if it had an oil change before being put to bed.

not sure on leaving an engine unused for a year..however to clarify my earlier post I do under stand the importance of bringing the engine up to correct operating temperature otherwise I agree that it is a pointless exercise for short periods of time where you would do more damage then good.

Funnily enough the Flapper is my old pub I used to work at (back when it was a Firkin), its a lovely pub and I still pop in there when Im home to see the clan.

Anyway I digress. Im not sure how much Im going to have to run my motor on the Stroller as I havent spent much time on her yet, I know my dad put a solar array on and installed LED lighting before the work got too much for him so I'm hoping I wont have to charge that often but I wont know until I have it down here permenently.

I hope not to have to generate power that often, even though my motor is reasonably quiet it would bug me running it for hours on end.

I hereby declare that I will be running NC's engine after 8pm tonight.

Where are you away to this weekend?

Sadly i'm not boating, we are off visiting friends in Cricklade - which may well involve a spot of canoeing on the Thames and a pint or two in the Riverside Inn at Lechlade :cheers:

Where are you away to this weekend?

Sadly i'm not boating, we are off visiting friends in Cricklade - which may well involve a spot of canoeing on the Thames and a pint or two in the Riverside Inn at Lechlade cheers.gif

The Brownlow Arms at High Marnham on the tidal Trent.

First stop Torksey tonight though for a few pints at the White Swan cheers.gif

I often run my engine between 6-8 because I get home from work around 6. I wouldn't be able to run it in the morning on those days. Why do people assume boaters (especially liveaboards) are all OAPs or wasters? Just yesterday I was chatting to a gongoozler at a lock who seemed astonished that I had a job.

With 500w of solar it's rare that we need to run our engine when moored and haven't even had a working alternator for most of the summer. If we do run our engine just for charging it's normally after mooring following short days cruise, or mid afternoon, but I'd generally much prefer to go for a short cruise than just sit on a mooring with the engine going.

I also don't understand why some boats can't even go 24 hrs with out having to charge batteries but fully respect the right for them to do so. It is annoying though just settling down to a quiet evening when the boat in front starts their noisy/smokey engine right by where you're sitting then dissappear to the quiet end of their boat.

And although very very rarely do we run engine before 8am, we regularly run engine much later than 8pm - but only for moving the boat! Best time of day for cruising.

Tom

It's easy to understand why some boats can't go 24hrs without charging. They are not set up to do so or they use liberal amounts of sparky stuff. Not everybody wants or needs PV array so on occasions may need to run the lump. Our previous boat had 500w and our present has 320w, I first had solar about 13 years ago, other people are still to be convinced as to it's value.

Phil

I think it's more common to find the moorers who need to run their engines at all times of day and night are doing it for hot water rather than electricity.

Yes. Contrary to what by some is believed, boat owners do wash and shower daily (more often than not at the end of it).

Edited by jenlyn

I think it's more common to find the moorers who need to run their engines at all times of day and night are doing it for hot water rather than electricity.

That's generally why I run the Engine in the morning if we aren't moving as I think I may as well give the batteries a quick charge at the same time but if I'm moving later in the day I'll turn the Eberspacher on although I reckon that makes more noise.

I run my generator once a week from 6.30am when I leave to work till 7ish when I get back from work. Never had a complaint.

I have even had a nap in the back cabin whilst it is running in the engine room.

If people are going to use generators at unsociable hours they should really moor out of the way and also go to some lengths to silence the generator.

I run my generator once a week from 6.30am when I leave to work till 7ish when I get back from work. Never had a complaint.

I have even had a nap in the back cabin whilst it is running in the engine room.

If people are going to use generators at unsociable hours they should really moor out of the way and also go to some lengths to silence the generator.

This summer the owner of the boat moored in front of me came to enlist my help in challenging the person moored in front of himself to turn off their engine (it was about 8.30 at night but it wasn't very loud or smelly). I suggested that he give the chap a little slack, perhaps another half an hour (in fact the engine was turned off before 9).

Anyway, the point is that during a five minute conversation, on the towpath adjacent to my boat, the guy never realised the our engine was also running. I kept expecting him to catch on, if only from the shimmer above the exhaust pipe (mine is in the roof) but he never did.

Strictly I was breaking the rules but (like the tree falling in the forest) does it count if nobody knows?

Frank.

I think most of the problem isnt actually directly transmitted noise, irritating though that is. It's the fact that the water transmits the vibration (and the noise for that matter) , so if you start your engine at dawn, some poor sod trying to still be asleep gets it coming up through the floor and the bed into their eardrum.

It must depend on your power requirements. If folk have power taking gadgets on board, and everyone is entitled to live their life, then there will be a need to run engine if moored. On the other hand if you use hardly any power the need is removed. As long as the times arekept then as boaters we must accept engines will be run.

I do like to moor away from busy spots so we can run engine when we like. It is amazing how many times someone comes and moors real close when in both directions it is visibly empty for a long distance. We have decided they must be marina boats that feel the need to be close.

Pretty much agree. I don't like running the engine out of gear when moored, but will do so if the washer is running when moored (only once this summer.)

I accept others have the need to run engines more, as we used to do when we had several teenagers on board with all their gadgets. I have halved the size of my battery bank now :) My thoughts are that if the engine is running, one might as well move, but there are times when that is not convenient; different people have different needs.

I expect as solar gets cheaper we should see less need to run engines when moored, but in the meantime there will always be a need for some to do so.

We usually moor in the middle of nowhere because of the dogs, and often a boat will moor right next to us. I think it might be a security thing so never bother. We have made some nice friends this way.

I usually inform anybody who is close by if I need to run the genny for a while, quiet though it is. Most people claim they can't hear it when in their boats. I just feel it is courtesy to do so.

I don't think we can really complain if somebody is running their engine within the rules though; where does that end?

True it is not just about leccy. Our engine heats the cabin too.

Is a Diesel engine an efficient hot water heater ?

Is running a 30 HP engine to charge some batteries economical in the long term ?

My rule is I never run an engine or a generator if the noise will annoy anyone else. If in doubt I ask them. In return I ask everyone else does the same. ( Which they don't )

My solar panels are very quiet, sometimes you can't hear them at all !

Anyway, the point is that during a five minute conversation, on the towpath adjacent to my boat, the guy never realised the our engine was also running. I kept expecting him to catch on, if only from the shimmer above the exhaust pipe (mine is in the roof) but he never did.

Perhaps he was just being polite...?