illegal to leave hose connected to tap - CRT letter

magnetman

Featured Posts

I dislike the weed

That's just as well, I bet you'd be in more trouble if you were partial to weed than leaving a hose connected....

Private water supplies are inspected by the local authority. We are on a private water supply shared between 6 houses, and the Council come round periodically and sample the water - usually only from one house. I can't recall exactly how often, but only every 2-3 years I think.

I lived in our old house for 17 years, 16 houses in a cul-de-sac built mid '60s where everyone seemed to live in each others pockets, I can't remember anyone testing anybody's water.

Current house, 20 in a close - new build where we were one of the first in, been here 5 years and no testing.

Where in the country are you? Have you old lead pipes or something?!!

We are in Northants BTW.

This gives me an excuse to post a photo of my favourite water point.

dscf3472.jpg

You're not helping either.....

Incidentally, we stopped there for water on the way home, it was a sod to get in with the low river levels we have had of late.

The fact I'd only got 12m of hose and had to get the stern close to the tap (tank at the rear) didn't help at all.

We had a drive by from the farmers, it doesn't take much for him to jump in the 4x4 :)

You're not helping either.....

Incidentally, we stopped there for water on the way home, it was a sod to get in with the low river levels we have had of late.

The fact I'd only got 12m of hose and had to get the stern close to the tap (tank at the rear) didn't help at all.

We had a drive by from the farmers, it doesn't take much for him to jump in the 4x4 smile.png

Talk of being shot at by farmers with a shotgun should put people off this particular river...

That's just as well, I bet you'd be in more trouble if you were partial to weed than leaving a hose connected....

I lived in our old house for 17 years, 16 houses in a cul-de-sac built mid '60s where everyone seemed to live in each others pockets, I can't remember anyone testing anybody's water.

Current house, 20 in a close - new build where we were one of the first in, been here 5 years and no testing.

We are in Northants BTW.

He said he had a private water supply so likely it is from a spring near by or a well. So not on the water mains system. These have to be inspected on a regular basis to see if the water is for for consumption. Your mains water is tested too of course but at the waterworks.

There are many properties that have private water of some kind in the UK either directly from a spring or well or via some kind of filter system by cartridges of charcoal or similar and UV lights.

When we were looking for houses in North Wales around half of them had their own water supplies.

He said he had a private water supply so likely it is from a spring near by or a well. So not on the water mains system. These have to be inspected on a regular basis to see if the water is for for consumption. Your mains water is tested too of course but at the waterworks.

There are many properties that have private water of some kind in the UK either directly from a spring or well or via some kind of filter system by cartridges of charcoal or similar and UV lights.

When we were looking for houses in North Wales around half of them had their own water supplies.

Ah right, I missed the private water supply bit, that makes perfect sense now :cheers:

Given that on the Thames (run by the Environment Agency no less) Wey and no doubt other waterways they seem perfectly happy to provide hoses permanently connected to the tap whilst crt may be technically correct it does rather smack of an organization run by jobsworths and not the slightest bit interested in dealing with the very real issues their waterways have.

Given that on the Thames (run by the Environment Agency no less) Wey and no doubt other waterways they seem perfectly happy to provide hoses permanently connected to the tap whilst crt may be technically correct it does rather smack of an organization run by jobsworths and not the slightest bit interested in dealing with the very real issues their waterways have.

Whereas here on the Nene and Great Ouse (also EA) no hoses are left connected.

The only exception being the knackered Peterborough City Council embankment water point (its a horrid old fire real - since been temporarily fixed to a normal 1/2 tap fitting by pearly of this parish)

So not all clear cut c&rt bashing as it may seem.

We are in Northants BTW.

We are on a PRIVATE water supply, not the mains. When we moved in it was just water coming out of an ageing cast iron pipe, the exact location of the spring being unknown. That has now been augmented by a borehole, paid for by the households it serves. The water is completely untreated (although I have thought about adding a UV treatment unit), and when the Council test it it is well within the allowable limits.

This is near Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire. There are many properties around here on spring and borehole water supplies.

Is it possible CRT have had this drawn to their attention by somebody outside the organisation with a request to ensure their customers comply?

Not everything that boaters find illogical or don't agree with is the fault of the CRT.

We are on a PRIVATE water supply, not the mains. When we moved in it was just water coming out of an ageing cast iron pipe, the exact location of the spring being unknown. That has now been augmented by a borehole, paid for by the households it serves. The water is completely untreated (although I have thought about adding a UV treatment unit), and when the Council test it it is well within the allowable limits.

This is near Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire. There are many properties around here on spring and borehole water supplies.

As said above, I missed the private bit originally.

I couldn't get on with the mains water when i worked up in Wakefield - Tea didn't taste right at all!

Is it possible CRT have had this drawn to their attention by somebody outside the organisation with a request to ensure their customers comply?

Not everything that boaters find illogical or don't agree with is the fault of the CRT.

I would have thought it was entirely possible

I know that the letter I referred to earlier was generated in response to a county-wide initiative by the regional water supplier who'd had problems with non-domestic water point being substandard and a minor contamination event.

It could just be that the issue was flagged to CRT at some point and they are passing on the info as they see it

since they never explain we will make our own assumptions yours are more charitable towards them than mine but no more likely to be right

C&RT have a duty of care to warn customers that there is a risk if leaving a pipe connected, so their expensive lawyers will have advised a letter to those found offending. I thought the letter reasonable but some will always find fault with the trust.

Other organizations appear not to have thought it necessary though dare i suggest because they waste less time on such trivialities

Perhaps peeps should recall the event where a farmer on a hill left a hose running into his slurry (cowshit) pit, and the pressure dropped in the main. The hose syphoned several hundred gallons of slurry water into the public mains.

CRT and the water company have no control over the hygiene, or lack of, in your water tank. It can be a major public health problem; compliance should not be questioned, wherever the advice comes from. Potentially it is certainly not trivial.

Edited by Murflynn

I realise it is not trivial but I must say I had assumed there was a non return valve in the water outlet anyway. I am now complying with the requirement by having my hose disconnected when not in use. Its not too onerous ;)

I think the letter was about my safety and not the safety of others using the water main :)

So thanks go to CRT for looking after the safety of me and my family. . I realise my op sounded like a winge - it was the criminal bit which bothered me but that is outside the control of CRT anyway.