illegal to leave hose connected to tap - CRT letter

magnetman

Featured Posts

I got a letter from CRT. I pay them -enough- a year for the priviledge (sp) of a residential mooring with all services laid on as you would expect for a residential mooring.

It turns out I am illegal if I fail to remove my hose from the water supply after filling the tank. I know this is a law thing not a CRT thing but the letter came from them.

I don't use a direct connection to mains water supply as I like my boat to stay on top of the water but I didn't know it was actually illegal simply to leave the hose in place when the tap has been turned off. Does this also mean that Mr Bloggs watering his garden is not allowed to leave the 'ose attached? There was a chap round a while back looking at the water points so I guess he clocked my hose being attached to the tap on that day..

Text of letter:

IMG_20150915_145149316_zpsaiv3wbko.jpg

And its a bit of a headache for those without water tanks who use direct connection to achieve decent on board water pressure...

"This will include other means of piping" seems to imply that -any- direct connection of a boat to a water supply is illegal :unsure:

File under "spheroids".

Our garden hose has been connected to our outside tap all "summer". It will remain so until I put it away for the winter. Perhaps it refers only to water points owned by CART. In that case, at least one riparian in our mooring area has been breaking this supposed law all summer too. He does not look at all contaminated.

Does this also mean that Mr Bloggs watering his garden is not allowed to leave the 'ose attached?

As I understand the 'Regulations', all external taps fitted during the past 30 years or so should also be fitted with a non return valve in order to protect the Water Main. The first time I came across this 'Regulation' was 1987 when I had an external tap fitted to my new house, and this has been the case with each new house I have owned since captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

How many boats have no water tank and a direct connection? My guess is none....there may well be boats with an INDIRECT connection however - which is certainly achievable and legally okay if done properly.

OK can you explain that then please. I know more than one boat with no tank on board. Obviously not going to mention who they are :lol: as they might end up in the Clink judging by the letter..

I got a letter from CRT. I pay them -enough- a year for the priviledge (sp) of a residential mooring with all services laid on as you would expect for a residential mooring.

It turns out I am illegal if I fail to remove my hose from the water supply after filling the tank. I know this is a law thing not a CRT thing but the letter came from them.

I don't use a direct connection to mains water supply as I like my boat to stay on top of the water but I didn't know it was actually illegal simply to leave the hose in place when the tap has been turned off. Does this also mean that Mr Bloggs watering his garden is not allowed to leave the 'ose attached? There was a chap round a while back looking at the water points so I guess he clocked my hose being attached to the tap on that day..

Text of letter:

And its a bit of a headache for those without water tanks who use direct connection to achieve decent on board water pressure...

"This will include other means of piping" seems to imply that -any- direct connection of a boat to a water supply is illegal unsure.png

I thought you were happy about CRT being more proactive in enforcement.

That is certainly what your posts on a couple of other topics imply. I suppose you want one law for you and one law for everyone else.

Figures.

OK can you explain that then please. I know more than one boat with no tank on board. Obviously not going to mention who they are laugh.png as they might end up in the Clink judging by the letter..

Basically they'll have some kind of non-return mechanism or sufficient air gap to ensure that water can't be backsiphoned during typical fault scenarios. The air gap is specified in the regulations, and is easily achieved by having a float valve into a header tank. Of course, if this route is done, the pressure also falls so would need the tank to be installed high (as in a domestic house....the cold water tank in an indirect system is upstairs or in the loft...) or a pump is installed.

ETA: A typical fault scenario the water board want covered might be the boat sinking, taking the connected hose down with it.

File under "spheroids".

Our garden hose has been connected to our outside tap all "summer". It will remain so until I put it away for the winter. Perhaps it refers only to water points owned by CART. In that case, at least one riparian in our mooring area has been breaking this supposed law all summer too. He does not look at all contaminated.

yea would think so. As to riparian moorings Mid Levels Comm's bit short staffed so possibly not on case yet, let's not do there job for them eh.

File under "spheroids".

Interesting, do the regs apply when the tap is a private one like that, I too have the hose pipe permanently connected at home, and never gave it any thought, and it you think about it Joe public is not going to be aware of this at all. I will ask Sally when she gets home, she works for a water company.

I was aware about the rule applying to CRT's taps, there are notices up in some elsans, and the short hoses that used to be on the tap by the elsan (for cassette rinsing) have been removed.

The interesting thing that struck me when on the Thames over the summer is that their water points all have a hose permanently attached, and their elsans still have the short hose for rinsing the cassette, so the legislation must not apply to the Environment Agency.

Basically they'll have some kind of non-return mechanism or sufficient air gap to ensure that water can't be backsiphoned during typical fault scenarios. The air gap is specified in the regulations, and is easily achieved by having a float valve into a header tank. Of course, if this route is done, the pressure also falls so would need the tank to be installed high (as in a domestic house....the cold water tank in an indirect system is upstairs or in the loft...) or a pump is installed.

ETA: A typical fault scenario the water board want covered might be the boat sinking, taking the connected hose down with it.

Yes but I know of boats -directly- connected to the mains supply. A bit ridiculous but people do do this.

Wander out to your tap and see if it has BS6282 written on it.

If it does it should have the relevant backflow protection.

I'm not a plumber (not even nearly) but I know that we all had to check the taps on the local allotments a couple of months ago to ensure that the taps complied. So I got the letter out f the file

Wander out to your tap and see if it has BS6282 written on it.

If it does it should have the relevant backflow protection.

I'm not a plumber (not even nearly) but I know that we all had to check the taps on the local allotments a couple of months ago to ensure that the taps complied. So I got the letter out f the file

It says BS6282 on it yes.

I am sorry, the impression I got from your posts that you are pleased with the extra enforcement in London is wrong?

Not particularly happy with it personally but I can see the point of it. Thats another topic ;) Edited by magnetman

It says BS6282 on it yes.

Not particularly happy with it personally but I can see the point of it. Thats another topic wink.png

It will still have standing water in pipe that needs flushing out before filling boat tank .this applies whether connected or not so not relevant for letter if it is to BS6282 then inspector needs training.

In which case Magnet you can decide if it is worth querying with CRT or not.

Personally if I didn't need a permanent connection I wouldn't bother. To much hassle for no real result

I have a massive water tank and 12v pump anyway which is handy for when we are off the mooring - was just a bit surprised to find a letter claiming that it was criminal to leave the hose attached. I suppose its just CRT covering themselves in the event of silliness. Edited by magnetman