Boat at Whilton

bramley

Featured Posts

I guess we were just too trusting. We have learned our lesson and at the end of the day we are living the dream though its a bit cold, My last dig at Whilton is they have NO after sales service. As soon as we were ready to leave the marina it was *Out you go and don't come back* They didn't even show us how to drive it or open a lock. We were told we would be shown these things until our leaving day when they said that someone would give us a half day lesson costing x amount. This new shady character turned out to be the surveyors Dad.

Just so. When we bought our boat in 2008 we looked at quite a lot but when we saw the one we went for the immediate reaction was ultimately what made up our minds, despite all the objective analysis!

The main reason for buying from an honourable broker like Dom or a bunch of sh!tbags like Wilton is they have the boat for sale that has chosen YOU....

We have been to Whilton several times. Its a great day out. They just give you a bunch of keys and leave you to it. I do not know of anywhere else that lets you do that. Although I am pretty savvi with narrowboats, my wife is not, so it is really good for her to have a good poke around at all different layouts and designs.

The cafe does a mean Sunday lunch too!

I guess their sales might be a bit pushy but I wouldnt say underhand. That can work both ways. They are interested in selling volume so going in with a low offer could pay off.

If you buy a car from a dealership, you will get after sales service, warrenty etc. At a price.

If you buy a car from 'Honest John' round the back of the industrial estate you could get a good deal, but better take your mechanic friend along to have a look too.

Fair comment Old Peculiar but, and maybe this is all brokers, I do take exception when a boat is valued far above what it should be with the result being the survey identifies a basket case. Net result is hefty survey charges and of course the slippage charge which goes to Whilton. In such cases I believe the slippage charge should be refunded as by valuing the boat (or allowing it to be valued) at a greatly inflated price is misleading - and you cannot see the hull when the boat is in the water. In fact at Whilton they are so tightly packed it is hard to se the hull at all!

Quite a few people leave the seller's stickers on their cars too (ours still proclaims that we bought it from Hylton Gott in Downham Market). I think it's fairly standard practice.

Quite.

My Datsun still has Dixon stickers in the window and Dixons number pltes despite Dixon's not existing anymore and us not buying it from them in the first place (We bought it as a 12 month old demonstrator car from a local motor auction)

Quite.

My Datsun still has Dixon stickers in the window and Dixons number pltes despite Dixon's not existing anymore and us not buying it from them in the first place (We bought it as a 12 month old demonstrator car from a local motor auction)

I always normally take the dealer stickers off the rear window.

You often see in vehicle handbooks the words - 'do not affix anything over the elements of the heated screen' or similar - and what's the first thing dealers do? - stick something over the heated window elements.

You do of course need to be careful removing it so as not to damage the elements which would be slightly counter productive.

Plus in our last car (FIAT 500) the rear screen was quite small the sticker quite large so it did actually obscure quite a bit of the view in the mirror because of where they had placed it.

Edited by The Dog House

Bramley,

As you know, I met your Mum and Step-Dad when they were down our way looking at potential moorings for what they obviously hoped would be their pride and joy "new" boat.

They seemed nice people who I would have been happy to welcome onto the canals, and indeed even have as neighbours at our moorings, if things went that way.

You have told a very honest tale of you previous experiences of this broker, and even admitted naivety in dealing with them.

I feel desperately sorry for your Mum and Step-Dad, bur do wonder if you are that surprised by this broker's behaviour after your own experiences?

A salutary warning to anyone looking to buy a boat via a brokerage, I guess.

I do however think the money they have spent is lost, and it is time to move on.

Clearlt one place not to look at any more boats though, unless you are prepared to risk more of the same!!!

Good luck to them - I hope they find a better boat, a better place to buy it from, and soon!

I always normally take the dealer stickers off the rear window.

You often see in vehicle handbooks the words - 'do not affix anything over the elements of the heated screen' or similar - and what's the first thing dealers do? - stick something over the heated window elements.

You do of course need to be careful removing it so as not to damage the elements which would be slightly counter productive.

Plus in our last car (FIAT 500) the rear screen was quite small the sticker quite large so it did actually obscure quite a bit of the view in the mirror because of where they had placed it.

Absolutely, I always remove the dealer label asap from new and it comes off OK then. I once bought from a dealer that not only put the rear screen sticker on but also stuck their badge onto the rear hatch paintwork. I made it a condition of sale that they didn't do that, saying that if I was to advertise their operation for the life of the car that I would expect to be paid for it. In fairness they didn't put anything on the car at all as a result of my action but it was a fairly small dealership that 'cared' what their customers thought.

Roger

Absolutely, I always remove the dealer label asap from new and it comes off OK then. I once bought from a dealer that not only put the rear screen sticker on but also stuck their badge onto the rear hatch paintwork. I made it a condition of sale that they didn't do that, saying that if I was to advertise their operation for the life of the car that I would expect to be paid for it. In fairness they didn't put anything on the car at all as a result of my action but it was a fairly small dealership that 'cared' what their customers thought.

Roger

smiley_offtopic.gif

I find increasingly that even if a car dealership doesn't stick something obscuring the rear view from a window, or some external logo on your new paintwork that they may still add their details to the number plate as free advertising.

It's the sort of thing I wish I was organised enough to ask that they don't do when ordering up a new car, (not something I do often!), but usually I'm not organised enough.

(One of my cars is certainly so treated, but as it was a company car that I then purchased on retirement, I wouldn't have had a choice anyway!)

I think it is now the law that the producer of the plate has their identity on it. In most cases the producer would be the dealer.

Is the result of government action to try to crack down on cut & shuts etc, but in effect make things hard for honest citizens.

We have been to Whilton several times. Its a great day out. They just give you a bunch of keys and leave you to it. I do not know of anywhere else that lets you do that. Although I am pretty savvi with narrowboats, my wife is not, so it is really good for her to have a good poke around at all different layouts and designs.

Braunston Marina and Sawley both let us wander around with the keys to look over boats by ourselves. It's very pleasant to be able to take our time and say exactly what we think of a boat!

I think it is now the law that the producer of the plate has their identity on it. In most cases the producer would be the dealer.

Is the result of government action to try to crack down on cut & shuts etc, but in effect make things hard for honest citizens.

Still smiley_offtopic.gif

Interesting! I thought I had heard that, now you mention it.

The strange thing is if I pull up discussions on things like "Honest John's" or various Car Club Forums I can find references to this.

But when I pull up DVLA / Gov UK stuff that details exactly what format a plate must be, I can't see it mentioned.

Anyone know a definitive government source that says name and postcode of person producing plates must appear, rather than 3rd party sites suggesting that? Seems inconsistent to me?

• Greenie 1

Quite.

My Datsun still has Dixon stickers in the window

Blimey Rachel, how old is your car? I don't think that Datsuns have been on sale in the UK since the 1980s - I thought they would all have fallen to pieces by now.

This is true to an extent.

They have to display who made it along with their postcode IIRC.

Some dealers take the pee though and ours actually have a 'tab' on the bottom edgae of the plate emblazoned with 'SG Petch'

Anyone know a definitive government source that says name and postcode of person producing plates must appear, rather than 3rd party sites suggesting that? Seems inconsistent to me?

Page 8
Edited by The Dog House

Have visited Whilton twice now, i agree that the fact you can wander round the boats at your own pace with nobody sitting on your shoulder is a good thing...

However i did feel some of the lower priced boats were not worth the money, very dated and smelly!

Rugby boats were really nice, but they did follow you round the boat, and every question i asked i didnt really feel confident the woman knew the real answer.

Thanks - failed to locate that.

Might be better if when they showed an example plate, (as they do in many documents), it included an example of everything they say needs including!

Anyway you have confirmed it, so little point in objecting to a supplying dealer getting a free advert on any new car I might buy, it seems!

Roger

I have seen a dealer who not only puts stickers on, but DRILLS HOLES in the boot lid to affix his advertising sign with pop rivets!

No names, no pack drill as they say in the army but, I will not be buying an Alfa Romeo in the Cheshire stockbroker belt any time soon.

George ex nb Alton retired

Isn't it the base of a boatbuilding firm? Braidbar?

I have no idea where it is geographically though.

Yep

Higher Poynton on the Macclesfield

Edited by Bazza2

Isn't it the base of a boatbuilding firm? Braidbar?

I have no idea where it is geographically though.

Google is your fried.....

From this site

Welcome to Braidbar Boats

Based on the Macclesfield canal in the rolling Cheshire countryside at the edge of the Peak District, Braidbar Boats have been building narrowboats for the discerning boater at historic Lord Vernon's Wharf for more than thirty years

Plenty of others of course, like many signed as from "Red Bull Basin".

It's those with a fake health registration of "Registered at Tamworth" that are the real worry, of course!.....

You have told a very honest tale of you previous experiences of this broker, and even admitted naivety in dealing with them.

I am to forgiving i am afraid. I really had forgotten so much about the previous dealing, would of assumed buying a boat is much easier than selling.

On another note

I found out when you search for whilton marina in google one of the suggestions is Whilton marina greedy. This made me LOL

I am to forgiving i am afraid. I really had forgotten so much about the previous dealing, would of assumed buying a boat is much easier than selling.

On another note

I found out when you search for whilton marina in google one of the suggestions is Whilton marina greedy. This made me LOL

Google Midland Swindlers, they come up as the first organic listing!