Gongoozlers ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

If the curtains or blinds are open just look in if you want to. Assuming its a public right of way the boats are part of the scenery :)

If people don't want others looking in there are curtains and blinds available and other activities to partake in which provide more privacy ;)

Boating is a very public activity. I don't advocate stopping and staring for long as that is just rude but looking in windows is normal.

If the curtains or blinds are open just look in if you want to. Assuming its a public right of way the boats are part of the scenery smile.png

If people don't want others looking in there are curtains and blinds available and other activities to partake in which provide more privacy wink.png

Boating is a very public activity. I don't advocate stopping and staring for long as that is just rude but looking in windows is normal.

I don't mind people glancing in as they pass. It is only natural and something they would do when walking down a road, even if that doesn't accord with boating etiquette which they do not know.

However, I do object if they stop and press their noses to the glass. I'm sure they wouldn't expect to get away with that on the street.

George ex nb Alton retired

Edit to add, owning an historic boat, I have become accustomed to people peering in the cabin and cooing at the lace and plates, "ere Ethel, come and 'ave a look at this". If I don't want it, I shut the doors.

Edited by furnessvale

We were on the Thames last year filling up at a water point at a lock where lots of people congregate on Sundays to picnic, barbecue etc. (can't remember which one). There were a couple of ladies having a good look through the side hatch and windows which was fine, but then they asked if they could possibly use our toilet!

We thought that was a step too far!

Bet there aren't many boat owners who don't look at other boats for practical ideas they can adapt to their own. I'd be a little startled but not annoyed if inside and a face appeared at the window and quite happy to chat to anyone about boats if I'm outside just doing odd jobs. It helps on the canal if you get along with people as it is such a public environment. Most owners will be happy to chat, just don't let the grouchy ones put you off.

We were moored at Ellesmere Port Boat Museum once - got used to visitors (to the museum) wandering around but our lunch one day was interrupted by a childish squeal "Mummy, Mummy, there's live people on this one!". Parents went slightly pink but we offered them (and their child) a quick guided tour of our hire boat [Off Topic - I'm guess Chas Harden has long gone now?}

I don't mind people glancing in as they pass. It is only natural and something they would do when walking down a road, even if that doesn't accord with boating etiquette which they do not know.

However, I do object if they stop and press their noses to the glass. I'm sure they wouldn't expect to get away with that on the street.

Edit to add, owning an historic boat, I have become accustomed to people peering in the cabin and cooing at the lace and plates, "ere Ethel, come and 'ave a look at this". If I don't want it, I shut the doors.

Very well put :)

Very well put smile.png

+1 for that, its bound to happen.

We were on the Thames last year filling up at a water point at a lock where lots of people congregate on Sundays to picnic, barbecue etc. (can't remember which one). There were a couple of ladies having a good look through the side hatch and windows which was fine, but then they asked if they could possibly use our toilet!

We thought that was a step too far!

sick.gif Thats taking the piss a bit and cheeky, you should of said can i have half your lunch.banned.gif

. If I don't want it, I shut the doors.

+ 1 exactly my feelings

We are at Stratford upon Avon at the mo , always find it a hoot with people staring in the windows . No problem with it, wave and smile and if we want too pull the curtain closed. Get the usual ' look mum there's a kitchen ' . Dogs tend to pop their heads through the side hatches, because they can smell the rabbit . Tourists do here, because they think it a restaurant boat when I'm cooking dinner.Bunny.

We are at Stratford upon Avon at the mo , always find it a hoot with people staring in the windows . No problem with it, wave and smile and if we want too pull the curtain closed. Get the usual ' look mum there's a kitchen ' . Dogs tend to pop their heads through the side hatches, because they can smell the rabbit . Tourists do here, because they think it a restaurant boat when I'm cooking dinner.Bunny.

do eat rabbit

sorry ignore me i must of read it wrong lol

The steam engine causes some to want to peer into our boat, and incorrage that. I often invite people on to look, and am also typically happy to extent the tour to the cabin, but maybe I'm an unusual. Well I am, but yes...

That said, peering into the cabin uninvited would be a bit odd.

Daniel

I like engine rooms A'Lot tongue.png

I might have to buy a Clip Board and a Blue Caghoulwacko.png

Did once given some teenageers near aintree a tour and got my phone nicked in the process which as a bit crap, but heyho.

Daniel

omg thats just sick daniel, their are some numptys about for sure.

We were moored at Ellesmere Port Boat Museum once - got used to visitors (to the museum) wandering around but our lunch one day was interrupted by a childish squeal "Mummy, Mummy, there's live people on this one!". Parents went slightly pink but we offered them (and their child) a quick guided tour of our hire boat [Off Topic - I'm guess Chas Harden has long gone now?}

No, still there ...........

Chas Hardern Boats