Gongoozlers ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

I have the silver film which lets you make faces at the silly things people do or say. But I must remember that my friend does NOT have it on her rather large windows(have been caught out once)!!

It also makes me chuckle when people see the rather large hairy head stuck out of the cat flap at the back of the boat. Even though there is a notice explaining the circumstances, they still insist he is "stuck" or not real!!

Edited by Water Warrior

I will have a few giggles scaring the living daylights out of people.

You haven't made a bad start with that new avatar (ANOTHER new avatar? But then I've been away for three days, I am not sure how many you've got through in that time).

I hope the make-up classes are progressing well.

You haven't made a bad start with that new avatar (ANOTHER new avatar? But then I've been away for three days, I am not sure how many you've got through in that time).

I hope the make-up classes are progressing well.

I did quite well over the weekend and kept with the clown look.

What do you mean Athy is my makeup smudge? Lol

I'd forgotten about Ethel in The Streak, an important cultural figure who is inexplicably absent from the list of fictional characters here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel

The Wikipedia list of real Ethels does include two born after 1920, but only 1928 and 1929 so I wasn't too far out in calling the name old-fashioned.

As it happens I watched Vera Drake on TV yesterday evening, set in 1950, and her daughter in that was called Ethel, and probably supposed to be born after 1920.

Suddenly Ethels are everywhere.

Descending a lock at lunchtime in a holiday boat a ten year old 'gongoozler' shouted "Look, they are having sausages". I explained to the lad that it is considered to be rude to stare into the windows of someone's home. His plummy voiced parents then vociferously informed me that their son had done no wrong, I had no right to reprimand him and boat dwellers, like Gypsies, are the scum of the earth, all of them thieves.

I cannot avoid glancing into the windows of a moored or passing boat. Friendly boaters will wave or exchange a nod or a 'thumbs up'. If you are indulging in activities that a child, or I, should not witness, please close the curtains.

Alan

Descending a lock at lunchtime in a holiday boat a ten year old 'gongoozler' shouted "Look, they are having sausages". I explained to the lad that it is considered to be rude to stare into the windows of someone's home. His plummy voiced parents then vociferously informed me that their son had done no wrong, I had no right to reprimand him and boat dwellers, like Gypsies, are the scum of the earth, all of them thieves.

I cannot avoid glancing into the windows of a moored or passing boat. Friendly boaters will wave or exchange a nod or a 'thumbs up'. If you are indulging in activities that a child, or I, should not witness, please close the curtains.

Alan

My mum and dad both held the same opinion.

Both came from boating families, moved onto the bank.

I'd forgotten about Ethel in The Streak, an important cultural figure who is inexplicably absent from the list of fictional characters here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel

The Wikipedia list of real Ethels does include two born after 1920, but only 1928 and 1929 so I wasn't too far out in calling the name old-fashioned.

As it happens I watched Vera Drake on TV yesterday evening, set in 1950, and her daughter in that was called Ethel, and probably supposed to be born after 1920.

Suddenly Ethels are everywhere.

This is an ETHEL, there were originally 3 of them:

97252a.jpg

Image from here:

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/97252a

Train Heating Units

Three Class 25/3 locomotives were converted in 1983 for use as mobile generators to provide electric heating on trains where the hauling locomotive could not supply this. They were given departmental numbers 97250 / 97251 / 97252 (formally 25310 / 25305 / 25314). They were referred to as ETHEL units (Electric Train Heating Ex-Locomotives), and unofficially named Ethel 1, Ethel 2 and Ethel 3. They were originally painted in a blue/grey livery in an effort to match the coaching stock livery of the day, but this was not too successful. Ethel 1 was withdrawn in 1987, the other two in 1990. All three were scrapped in 1994.

Edited by Ray T

Never mind Ethel, I think EDITH is about the most elegant and evocative name possible for a narrowboat.

I wish I'd bought her, especially as the new owners renamed her 'Belly Button'. WTF were they thinking of?

Perhaps they were ex-navel types.