Cost of pump out toilet installation

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

Thanks for posting that - some people have very closed minds.

ps - Aldi were selling stair-climbing trolleys a few months ago

Not in the winter you wont.

Although C&RT do very little maintenance these days they do have a Winter stoppage programme - you will need to be very careful to ensure that you don't get trapped between two locks with no services in between.

When the canal freezes you will be going nowhere - a cassette can be taken out and taken along the towpath on a trolley and emptied, with a pump-out you are totally snookered. With a pump-out you need to invest in a porta-potty as well for those times that your tank is full, the pump-out machine is broken, the canal is frozen or just someone has put down something that has blocked our system.

You will probably spend more time getting close and personal to your 'waste' with a PO than a cassette. (at least if our friends and neighbours are anything to go by)

Not if its 10 miles to somewhere were you can empty said cassette sick.gif

Peter

Our pump out was a wrong 'un from day one, the tank was actually designed for another boat and modified to fit ours. It would never empty properly, in the end we fitted the tank with a new outlet but it didn't make a big difference. Two years ago we discovered a seam that had started leaking, we had it welded up but I realized that we would always chasing the weld, which was getting close to going around the corner to where it was inaccessible so I decided to rip it out and (temporarily) fit a cassette. Next job is to fit a composting loo.

Thats the one a nice composting loo only empty mine every 3 months Perfik clapping.gif

Peter

A question I have always wanted to ask. When emptying the cassette, does it not pong?

Its just something you get used to..the thought is worse than the deed for some people...

Ive never considered it an issue carrying and emptying cassettes though they can get heavy.

If i moor up near disposal place I empty..no hassle..just ensure stand back bit as can splash.

A question I have always wanted to ask. When emptying the cassette, does it not pong?

Never used a cassette on a boat but in 30 years of caravanning I would say no with the added condition that you get whatever chemical/additive you are using in the correct quantity.

In answer to the OP's question the cost depends on many things but I guess if you get a mid-range system from Leesan and a professional to fit it you would be looking at around £1800 - £2000 and up to £3000 for a top-end system

I can recommend a vacuum system - we have had one for over 12 years and had no trouble but a macerator IMO is equally as good and probably less expensive.

I would go for the biggest custom made tank possible to fit the available space - if under the bed you should be able to fit something around 6ft x 4ft x height allowing for fittings.

When we finally get free from work and can cruise all summer the only upgrade I am planning is a bigger holding tank. I'm not too worried about listing as I have a mate who has an under- bed-sized tank about 18inches high and just moves a 56lb weight around to keep the trim.

If you can only find room for a standard sized tank, a self-operated pump-out is essential to keep costs down. They are expensive (£300ish for an electric version) but you will soon get your money back with pump-outs now costing around £15. They're also slow and take a bit of getting used to if you wish to avoid the occasional spillage. I connect mine to a 38mm waste pipe with elbows so I can hang it over the bowl with the outlet under water.

Boat toilets are a very personal choice. Each to his own but we wouldn't entertain a cassette system after the luxury of the porcelain bowl and infrequent emptying.

I connect mine to a 38mm waste pipe with elbows so I can hang it over the bowl with the outlet under water.

Boat toilets are a very personal choice. Each to his own but we wouldn't entertain a cassette system after the luxury of the porcelain bowl and infrequent emptying.

The self pumpout outlet is under water? This suggests something a bit rude to me but I may have the wrong end of the stick :unsure: (eta it suggested to me that your were pumping out into the surrounding waterway but I very much doubt that)

You can get porcelain bowl cassette systems :)

I am quite interested in the incinerator bogs but they are very expensive ! Ok one could chuck solids in the fire but that's not ideal.

Used food handling. The boaters favourite topic :rolleyes:

Edited by magnetman

Oof that is a bit on the expensive side but could be worth it. How do you empty compost toilets?

Actually it's probably your cheapest option and by far and away the least hassle. If I wasn't based in Scotland I'd quote you a price to fit one and with 3 - 6 months between emptying the freedom it introduces into your life is quite unbelievable.

As it is I suggest you talk to Richard of Ecotoilets, near Rugby, who will quote for fitting and/or supply - 01327 844442. Go and have a look at his selection of models and I think you'll realise that it really is the way to go ........... !

• Greenie 1

with 3 - 6 months between emptying the freedom it introduces into your life is quite unbelievable.

As I understand the device there will be liquid waste to empty more frequently won't there? How often is that necessary?

As I understand the device there will be liquid waste to empty more frequently won't there? How often is that necessary?

Depends on the size of the container that pee is pumped into 25 litres in my case just pour it onto the waste grass near boat

Peter

Depends on the size of the container that pee is pumped into 25 litres in my case just pour it onto the waste grass near boat

Peter

So even if you take the just pour it onto the grass route (which incidentally I am not sure I like the idea of coming across patches flooded by stale Pee) there is more work than just emptying the solids every few months.

25L must weigh quite a bit for manhandling.

Peter

What is "waste grass" ?

Urine kills grass - we used to have ponies and dogs on the lawn (oh dear) and if one of the ponies passed water my mother or sister would be out in a flash with a bucket of water otherwise there would be a big brown dead grass area.

I really don't think you are allowed to empty containers of old urine on the towpath :huh: its bordering in pisstaking imo.

Why not tip it in the water?

(I know, just trying to provoke discussion on this important topic)

What is "waste grass" ?

Urine kills grass - we used to have ponies and dogs on the lawn (oh dear) and if one of the ponies passed water my mother or sister would be out in a flash with a bucket of water otherwise there would be a big brown dead grass area.

I really don't think you are allowed to empty containers of old urine on the towpath huh.png its bordering in pisstaking imo.

(I know, just trying to provoke discussion on this important topic)

Neither are acceptable in my view - the only way is to take it to a proper disposal site, but quite frankly I don't see that happening amongst the ever increasing band of CMers and perhaps others.

Some do it because they don't understand the issues, others maybe because they care less.

A quick tiddle behind a hedge may not cause a problem but a jerry can full is another matter. It's a problem of scale.

But I suppose a "quick tiddle behind the hedge" by a residential CMers could fairly quickly add up to 25 litres ;) so that is also probably technically out of order as well. Depending on rainfall of course

I agree that disposal of bulk solid or liquid waste directly into the waterway or surrounding land areas is a bit dodgy.

If you are collecting waste in containers then the only place to dispose of it is in facilities designed for that purpose.

But I suppose a "quick tiddle behind the hedge" by a residential CMers could fairly quickly add up to 25 litres wink.png so that is also probably technically out of order as well. Depending on rainfall of course

I agree that disposal of bulk solid or liquid waste directly into the waterway or surrounding land areas is a bit dodgy.

If you are collecting waste in containers then the only place to dispose of it is in facilities designed for that purpose.

Sensibly it's a matter of degree a tinkle by an individual but the equivalent of a pub bar at closing time is more and a container of 10 to 20l is worse. Multiply that by any number of boaters on lengths of moorings (approved or not) doing the same thing - then you run the risk of a serious pollution incident. On a canal there's not a lot of flow so nature's system doesn't get much chance to dilute or clear its system of pollutants.

OTOH how do sewage works 'clean' their effluents? Solids are easy to remove and anything biodegradable can be processed, but there are some thing that can't be removed - This output can and is dumped into our rivers and probably canals as well...

From another recent thread:

From http://www.littlehouse.co/help-faqs/regulations-concerning-disposal-of-waste-from-compost-toilets/ is this brief note relating to urine disposal:

Liquid Waste

For individual toilets

Discharge direct to watercourse is not permitted.

Discharge to a soakaway is permitted provided that the soakaway is not

Within 10 metres of any watercourse

Within 50 metres of any well or borehole or spring

No consent would be required from the Environment Agency.

• 1 month later...

I really don't think you are allowed to empty containers of old urine on the towpath huh.png its bordering in pisstaking imo.

Sorry to come in late on this discussion (I have been too busy supplying compost toilets . . .)

I just wanted to correct this information;

1)Human urine does NOT kill grass. As long as you don't let your pony or dog use the toilet, it is quite safe!

2) Pure human urine is non-toxic. A University study concluded that it is less toxic to drink urine than tap water (though I don't personally recommend it.)

3) There is no hygiene issue with emptying urine in the canal, but when I asked BW (back then) for permission to recommend this, they thought about it long and hard and then decided that if we all did it there would be too much weed growth, so for that reason they said no.

4) Pure urine counts as grey water, so there is no reason why you can't empty it on the bank. Obviously pouring it onto concrete or ashphalt may not be a good idea, but onto earth is no problem as it is absorbed in to the ground quite quickly and is an excellent fertiliser for the plants nearby. Most people's concern about emptying their urine tank is that others may think they are emptying a chemical toilet, but if you choose the right place, it is easily achieved in a few seconds - so much easier than emptying a cassette and so much better for the environment as well.

5) If you are really fussy, then pour it down a drain, a pub toilet, or even an elsan point, but this isn't necessary.

If anyone wants more info, please call me on 01327 844442

• 7 years later...
On 10/09/2015 at 14:24, Canal Shop Man said:

Sorry to come in late on this discussion (I have been too busy supplying compost toilets . . .)

I just wanted to correct this information;

1)Human urine does NOT kill grass. As long as you don't let your pony or dog use the toilet, it is quite safe!

2) Pure human urine is non-toxic. A University study concluded that it is less toxic to drink urine than tap water (though I don't personally recommend it.)

3) There is no hygiene issue with emptying urine in the canal, but when I asked BW (back then) for permission to recommend this, they thought about it long and hard and then decided that if we all did it there would be too much weed growth, so for that reason they said no.

4) Pure urine counts as grey water, so there is no reason why you can't empty it on the bank. Obviously pouring it onto concrete or ashphalt may not be a good idea, but onto earth is no problem as it is absorbed in to the ground quite quickly and is an excellent fertiliser for the plants nearby. Most people's concern about emptying their urine tank is that others may think they are emptying a chemical toilet, but if you choose the right place, it is easily achieved in a few seconds - so much easier than emptying a cassette and so much better for the environment as well.

5) If you are really fussy, then pour it down a drain, a pub toilet, or even an elsan point, but this isn't necessary.

If anyone wants more info, please call me on 01327 844442

Can you provide the reference of the "university" study that stated drinking urine is safer than tap water? I think you are trying to say that tap water contains contaminants that urine does not. Depends on what the person has been ingesting. Urine is the waste product filtered out of your blood by your kidneys. By the time it hits the air and has gone through your urethra and touched your bits, it is not sterile. 

Please just follow the rules and don't pour urine into the canal or on the tow path. If everyone did this we'd all just be floating in a giant toilet, which would make us, well...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/go-boating/a-guide-to-boating/living-on-a-boat/what-toilet-waste-disposal-options 

9 hours ago, The Wind Lass said:

Can you provide the reference of the "university" study that stated drinking urine is safer than tap water? I think you are trying to say that tap water contains contaminants that urine does not. Depends on what the person has been ingesting. Urine is the waste product filtered out of your blood by your kidneys. By the time it hits the air and has gone through your urethra and touched your bits, it is not sterile. 

Please just follow the rules and don't pour urine into the canal or on the tow path. If everyone did this we'd all just be floating in a giant toilet, which would make us, well...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/go-boating/a-guide-to-boating/living-on-a-boat/what-toilet-waste-disposal-options 

You know you are replying to a 7 year old thread and the last time the 'Canal Shop Man' visited the forum was Feb 2017.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You know you are replying to a 7 year old thread and the last time the 'Canal Shop Man' visited the forum was Feb 2017.

That’s ok. I found this through google search so anybody else who reads archived threads for info might hopefully be persuaded against dumping piss in the canal. Archives are timeless.