Reading what a s**t hole

Phoenix_V

Featured Posts

Used to like stopping in Reading and spending my money with the good shopkeepers of that town but I fear this year will be the last!

The 24 hour mooring by Thames Water building has gone all the mooring rings ground off so impossible to use, the scant goosesh**t covered, bang your own pins into the almost solid ground moorings in the park are now apparently £9.25 (max 24 hrs)

sorry needed to get that rant over.

Really, they expect you to pay £9.25 to moor? What do they give you for that?

Paying to moor on the Thames is common, the land is private so what they are giving is the right to moor on their proprty, seems fair to me. If you compare the Thames with other rivers there are a lot of mooring oportinites even if you do have to pay for some.

Good mooring by Tesco and round by the prison. Both free

fairpoint though often full

Paying to moor on the Thames is common, the land is private so what they are giving is the right to moor on their proprty, seems fair to me. If you compare the Thames with other rivers there are a lot of mooring oportinites even if you do have to pay for some.

It was £4.80 last year with mooring posts this year it is a building site no posts no other facilities

Really, they expect you to pay £9.25 to moor? What do they give you for that?

naff all (apart from some geese shit)

Edited by Phoenix_V

You've got me lost now.

The Thames Water building moorings are temporarily out of action for construction of the new Thames foot and cycle bridge crossing. No idea what you mean by the park moorings, other than that the space by the kiddies play park was full the other day with piss-taking CMers paying nothing.

No idea what you mean by the park moorings, other than that the space by the kiddies play park was full the other day with piss-taking CMers paying nothing.

upstream of Caversham Bridge on the South side?

anyway, apparently a few mooring problems makes the place a sh*thole.

I haven't lived there since leaving school but I loved it then.

Thanks, I've never been on the Thames, or any other river come to that, so this is a whole new scenario to me. How do you pay, is there a pay and display machine, does a warden come round, what's the system?

Thanks, I've never been on the Thames, or any other river come to that, so this is a whole new scenario to me. How do you pay, is there a pay and display machine, does a warden come round, what's the system?

If it's near Henley, the first knock of the lump hammer brings a mooring warden on your case before you can tie up.

• Greenie 2

Used to like stopping in Reading and spending my money with the good shopkeepers of that town but I fear this year will be the last!

The 24 hour mooring by Thames Water building has gone all the mooring rings ground off so impossible to use, the scant goosesh**t covered, bang your own pins into the almost solid ground moorings in the park are now apparently £9.25 (max 24 hrs)

sorry needed to get that rant over.

Yes,Reading is a Tip!

Tescos is always full of Rodney boats,so no good to stop and shop.

Helmsman's instructions are to increase speed until Mapledurham/sonning lock is in sight.

CT

Mostly someone comes round in the morning, but it varies. The only place I know with pay and display machines are Henley on the Thames and Worcester on the Severn, no doubt there are more.

Mostly someone comes round in the morning, but it varies. The only place I know with pay and display machines are Henley on the Thames and Worcester on the Severn, no doubt there are more.

Where in Worcester please, we are heading that way and they didn't exist last time we stopped

Where in Worcester please, we are heading that way and they didn't exist last time we stopped

Racecourse, there are owned by the council, £4 a day max 2 days or at least it was last year. There is also a CRT pontoon between the W&B and Diglis lock, which of course if free.

Good mooring by Tesco and round by the prison. Both free

Depends what you call good - I wouldn't leave my boat there unattended for long, right across the river from the ramshackle crowd of boats that have become a permanent fixture there. Unsurprisingly there were few nbs moored there went we went past last month.

The building of the new pedestrian bridge has meant the hopefully temporary disappearance of some moorings around there - we managed to squeeze into a slot and jack-hammer a couple of pins into the ground so we could stock up at the nearby Aldi.

Apart from Aldi, there's no other reason I'd want to stop in Reading anyway: it's a depressing dump. Sorry.

We ignored the 'no mooring' signs and overnighted a mile further up at Caversham which was okay.

• Greenie 1

The mooring rings on the EA/TW wharf have all been removed looks permanent and not related to the bridgeworks as the buoyed off area only extends halfway along the wharf.

The moorings in the park opposite have no mooring posts any more that bit is all occupied by the tea boat are covered in shit and cost £9.25 for a night. A small increase since last year when it was £4.80

For reference of those who dont know the Thames Henley is about £9 but there is a tap and rings, Windsor £8 but you get rings and a good discount in the leisure centre, Wallingford £5 but the moorings are fine purpose built ones and on the council side you get a discount at the pool.

Abingdon, Oxford, Kingston, Staines, all have good free moorings and there are many free 24 hour moorings up and down the river

Edited by Phoenix_V

upstream of Caversham Bridge on the South side?

anyway, apparently a few mooring problems makes the place a sh*thole.

I haven't lived there since leaving school but I loved it then.

The town is fine but the moorings are literally full of shit and priced to keep out visitors

Depends what you call good - I wouldn't leave my boat there unattended for long, right across the river from the ramshackle crowd of boats that have become a permanent fixture there. Unsurprisingly there were few nbs moored there went we went past last month.

The building of the new pedestrian bridge has meant the hopefully temporary disappearance of some moorings around there - we managed to squeeze into a slot and jack-hammer a couple of pins into the ground so we could stock up at the nearby Aldi.

Apart from Aldi, there's no other reason I'd want to stop in Reading anyway: it's a depressing dump. Sorry.

We ignored the 'no mooring' signs and overnighted a mile further up at Caversham which was okay.

A rather ill informed posting here.

Keith

A rather ill informed posting here.

Keith

Why? I have boated through Reading four times in the last two years, including last month.

I wouldn't want to leave my boat at Tesco unattended for a length of time - the boats opposite look decidedly disreputable.

The pedestrian footbridge and repairs to the road bridge have meant the disappearance of some moorings for the time being.

The towpath edge that remains is pretty much concrete under the soil.

Aldi is close by and useful.

The remainder of Reading I find dispiriting and soul-less, full of dreary office blocks.

• Greenie 1

The remainder of Reading I find dispiriting and soul-less, full of dreary office blocks.

I never appreciated the attraction of Milton Keynes until I visited Reading. I am sure that it has its pleasant areas, but I found that it was physically unattractive and that the atmosphere in the town centre was not welcoming.

Why? I have boated through Reading four times in the last two years, including last month.

I wouldn't want to leave my boat at Tesco unattended for a length of time - the boats opposite look decidedly disreputable.

That bit mostly, just because you consider someone's home unsightly,you automatically think they're thieves.

As I said, ill informed.

Keith