Reading what a s**t hole

Phoenix_V

Featured Posts

I wouldn't call Reading a dump or as others have described it.

It's not a place I would look forward to visiting, nor a place I would avoid.

Fence sitting? Too right. It's not that bad a place.

Its not the town I have an issue with its their mean spirited council and the lack of moorings, as said the TW wharf is unavalable as are many of the moorings in the park as the whole area is currently a building site, whats left has been jacked up to £9.25 for a mooring where you need a jackhammer to set pins, full of geese shit and no facilities whatsoever - and they have erected no mooring signs along the stretch above Caversham Bridge.

We have moved up to Wallingford, nice purpose built moorings with rings, no gooseshit and use of showers and toilet on the campsite all for £5.per boat

Its not the town I have an issue with its their mean spirited council and the lack of moorings, as said the TW wharf is unavalable as are many of the moorings in the park as the whole area is currently a building site, whats left has been jacked up to £9.25 for a mooring where you need a jackhammer to set pins, full of geese shit and no facilities whatsoever - and they have erected no mooring signs along the stretch above Caversham Bridge.

We have moved up to Wallingford, nice purpose built moorings with rings, no gooseshit and use of showers and toilet on the campsite all for £5.per boat!

Depends what you call good - I wouldn't leave my boat there unattended for long, right across the river from the ramshackle crowd of boats that have become a permanent fixture there. Unsurprisingly there were few nbs moored there went we went past last month.

The building of the new pedestrian bridge has meant the hopefully temporary disappearance of some moorings around there - we managed to squeeze into a slot and jack-hammer a couple of pins into the ground so we could stock up at the nearby Aldi.

Apart from Aldi, there's no other reason I'd want to stop in Reading anyway: it's a depressing dump. Sorry.

We ignored the 'no mooring' signs and overnighted a mile further up at Caversham which was okay.

What's the depth of water like round by the prison and more especially on the approaches?

N

That bit mostly, just because you consider someone's home unsightly,you automatically think they're thieves.

As I said, ill informed.

Keith

No I don't. It's not just what they look like - I've moored among many 'unsightly' boats and often the nicest of people live on them. But from what I saw of the behaviour of some of those in that area when we last stopped I wouldn't choose to moor there. True, I can't back it up with facts but I'd rather err in the side of caution.
  • Greenie 1

I remember once spending a night moored on the small island near Tilehurst when the festival was on (because the park was out of bounds). Oh my that was grim. Seems its only used by fishermen. It was basically a fisherman toilet, there was even a loo roll in the tree. :D

But yeah, Reading. It's a pitstop for us to stock up - trip to Costco, Supermarkets etc.

Better Boating in Reading is worth a visit . We filled the diesel tank there yesterday and got 5p per ltr discount by mentioning Towpath Talk free paper. 83p per ltr is good for the Thames.

Andy