Napton lock laser measuring

matty40s

Featured Posts

Whenever I mention my distaste for the usage of nouns as verbs to Mrs. Athy, she replies "But you butter your bread". Feminine logic can be so dispiriting at times.

Indeed so.

I am shocked beyond words to learn that Mrs Athy is not buttering your bread for you.

Is it ever possible to fix a lock by putting a collection of hydraulic whatsits and just pushing the walls apart?

Acroprop sort of thing?

Seems like it could work for a few inches in theory but I suspect it is more likely to result in damage than a positive outcome.

Is it ever possible to fix a lock by putting a collection of hydraulic whatsits and just pushing the walls apart?

I doubt on its own but I think there's a technique where they brace/push the walls outwards a little, then inject some kind of concrete. I think it only applies where the lock has sagged due to disruption of the material behind the wall. Not sure though....

I wonder what CRT will do if it is found to be banana shaped.

Will it be a full rebuild or a modification. I feel that a full rebuild may be in order or maybe they can simply alter the maximum dimensions able to pass that area safely and advise people with bigger boats not to attempt it.

Lock-ing. Lock (as in canal) is a noun.

Maybe they will alter the other side to match then it will be uniform width throughout - - - - - - - Hhhhm then we all have to make our boats banana shape clapping.gif

Has it ever been measured before?

IIRC it was measured using more stone age methods in 1968 how many times since I know not, then again IIRC it varied between 7'1" & 7'8" how much It has since changed I have no idea At that time my FMC motor used to just hesitate about half way in the lock going uphill no problems either emptying or exiting going down hill

Should not worry about the width, Lock 10 has note on Bottom gate Tow-path side, " Do not sit on this beam it is broken".

That's new, don't think it was there yesterday?

BTW, don't think you would have appreciated a knock, it was almost midnight.

I think you would have noticed as it is about six inches off the ground with a pronounced bend and feels loose when being pushed to open the gate.

Midnight, no probably not.

Edit: missing f

Edited by bottle

Short closure: lock nine 06:00 Hrs to 08:00 Hrs Monday 20th July for inspection.

No mooring in pound between lock nine and eight from 18:00 Hrs Sunday 19th July, as it will be drained.

Note: posted in stoppages.

Maybe they will alter the other side to match then it will be uniform width throughout - - - - - - - Hhhhm then we all have to make our boats banana shape clapping.gif

As long as you keep going round a ring route in one direction you will be OK.

Try to turn round and come back and you will be in serious bother.

I know of one (ex)working boat that can pass through a certain T&M lock in one direction only. Going the other way it has to use the Shroppie!

George ex nb Alton retired

As long as you keep going round a ring route in one direction you will be OK.

Try to turn round and come back and you will be in serious bother.

I know of one (ex)working boat that can pass through a certain T&M lock in one direction only. Going the other way it has to use the Shroppie!

George ex nb Alton retired

The same thing happened at Napton, they took it back down, winded and came back up the wrong way round and got through. That would have been about 10 years ago.

Today in Huddersfield I saw chalked on a pavement "I'll gone up home, I waited on you" which I translated as "I've gone home, I waited for you".

Lasers for Napton, eh, but no vacuum cleaners for sucking the sludge from the bottom of the Huddersfield Narrow.

Southerners getting the preferential treatment, as expected.

Wonder at the grandness of the town halls built by the Victorians, and then ponder why in the year 2015 it is beyond our skills to fix one stupid canal lock.

What has gone wrong?

Gordon Brown ;)