The End & The Beginning

Featured Posts

The End & The Beginning

The end of an era.

After about 13 years of narrow-boating the pleasure has gradually diminished, the locks become harder, the bottom gets closer to the top and the ‘moaning’ brigade are slowly taking over. C&RT have taken over from BW and made the situation worse.

We have just concluded a 6 week cruise from Newark to our old stomping grounds on the Llangollen, sold the boat “en-route” on condition we could finish our cruise.

Well – yesterday we arrived back into Newark and removed all of our possessions, gave the NB a last ‘hoover’ and handed over the keys.

Goodbye “Muddy Ditch”

The beginning of a new era.

Before our narrow boating days we had 20 odd years ‘on the Sea’, no licence, no enforcement, no ‘overstaying’, very few rules, just total freedom, it was with this in mind that we bought our latest “Sea Boat” a few months ago.

We have purchased a boat that was built in 2002 on a new Trawler hull, has two Ford 6 cylinder engines, that have only 95 & 96 hours respectively ‘on the clock’ (using a total of 10 litres an hour at 7 knots) fuel tanks of 2850 litres giving a range of approaching 2000 miles, 1200 Ah of leisure batteries and an enormous water tank.

With a beam of just over 14 feet she seems absolutely enormous but I’m sure that with time I’ll remember how to drive a ‘big boat’.

Today is the start of our new life with the first trip beginning Newark to Cromwell, a short run but ideal for an initial ‘shake down’ cruise – the starboard engine does not appear to be charging the batteries, and the external helm position steering seems to be short of hydraulic oil these are the only problem identified so far. Tomorrows job – in the engine hole and spend some time tracing wiring, checking alternator etc. etc.

For the next few months we will be staying on the Trent, the Humber and maybe excursions to York (but with an air draft of 10 foot 9 inches with everything folded down) will need to be careful, however (maybe) next year could be Norway, Belgium, Germany. France or Spain the only limit is the cost of the fuel.

Hello (again) Lumpy-Water !!!!!

A couple of pictures taken today at Cromwell lock wall

CAM00008_zpstykto9ot.jpg

CAM00012_zpsrqkdooek.jpg

Versatility-35-42_zpst5wc7avy.jpg

Versatility-35-1_zpsohnkdzn9.jpg

Congratulations and commiserations.

They do say that the two happiest boating days are when you buy your boat and when you sell your boat; you seem to have achieved both in one fell swoop.

And that's a proper engine room and a fine looking boat.

I have a (single) 6 cylinder ford Lehman in my Dutch Cruiser, it has a bullet proof reputation and mine hasn't missed a beat in my two years of ownership. I expect it to break 2000 hours when I take it to the pub this evening.

I sailed half way across the world in a sailing yacht and I too am looking at them with loving eyes hug.gif my other half is worried. I spent a happy morning in Hull today looking around Hull marina whilst my prop was getting sorted at woodwards great job great price so yes I know where you are coming from. Enjoy that lovely looking boat

Peter

Looks proper that :)

I've known alternators to give up the ghost on plant that has stood idle for a long while, the low hours may well mean that you just need a service exchange alternator - hopefully its nothing too involved, the joy of a new boat is in using it :)

Happy cruising!

The End & The Beginning

The end of an era.

After about 13 years of narrow-boating the pleasure has gradually diminished, the locks become harder, the bottom gets closer to the top and the ‘moaning’ brigade are slowly taking over. C&RT have taken over from BW and made the situation worse.

We have just concluded a 6 week cruise from Newark to our old stomping grounds on the Llangollen, sold the boat “en-route” on condition we could finish our cruise.

Well – yesterday we arrived back into Newark and removed all of our possessions, gave the NB a last ‘hoover’ and handed over the keys.

Goodbye “Muddy Ditch”

Before our narrow boating days we had 20 odd years ‘on the Sea’, no licence, no enforcement, no ‘overstaying’, very few rules, just total freedom, it was with this in mind that we bought our latest “Sea Boat” a few months ago.

We have purchased a boat that was built in 2002 on a new Trawler hull, has two Ford 6 cylinder engines, that have only 95 & 96 hours respectively ‘on the clock’ (using a total of 10 litres an hour at 7 knots) fuel tanks of 2850 litres giving a range of approaching 2000 miles, 1200 Ah of leisure batteries and an enormous water tank.

With a beam of just over 14 feet she seems absolutely enormous but I’m sure that with time I’ll remember how to drive a ‘big boat’.

Today is the start of our new life with the first trip beginning Newark to Cromwell, a short run but ideal for an initial ‘shake down’ cruise – the starboard engine does not appear to be charging the batteries, and the external helm position steering seems to be short of hydraulic oil these are the only problem identified so far. Tomorrows job – in the engine hole and spend some time tracing wiring, checking alternator etc. etc.

For the next few months we will be staying on the Trent, the Humber and maybe excursions to York (but with an air draft of 10 foot 9 inches with everything folded down) will need to be careful, however (maybe) next year could be Norway, Belgium, Germany. France or Spain the only limit is the cost of the fuel.

CAM00008_zpstykto9ot.jpg

CAM00012_zpsrqkdooek.jpg

Good luck Alan...and welcome to riverboatworld.net

The End & The Beginning

The end of an era.

Goodbye “Muddy Ditch”

CAM00008_zpstykto9ot.jpg

CAM00012_zpsrqkdooek.jpg

Who are the marinisers of these units? I tell you why I ask, when & if I find out whose unit they are

"They" do say buy the boat, not the story - but - the story as told to me (and the invoice / paperwork in the file) :-

The person who had her built knew exactly what hull he wanted (he had seen it on a Trawler and it was manufactured by "Versatility Boats"), he chased down the manufacturer to find they had gone 'bust'.

He purchased the moulds from the receivers and had them shipped to 'Shooter Boats' in 1999.

Shooter Boats then moulded the Hull and made several changes ( the main one being the change from single engine to twin engines, twin rudders etc etc.

The Hull was completed and shipped to W Castle & Sons (Boatbuilders) of Benfleet, Essex who were to undertake the fit-out.

The owner had in mind exactly which engines he wanted and could not find them in the UK, so went on a shopping expedition across Europe. He was looking for the 7.5 Litre 6 cylinder naturally aspirated Ford engine as used in the "D Series Ford Trucks". Having found the engines the owner shipped them back to the UK

A company called WC&S Contracts rebuilt the engines (info from invoice) "....... To strip down the two engine units, renew all internal bearings, rebuild engine units and fit marinisation kits, high output alternators and reconditioned starter motors.... for the sum of £9622.83 + VAT - Total £11306.82 "

The completed boat was launched in 2002.

The proud owner was Mr B Castle (the owner of Castle & Sons Boat builders)

In 2010 it was old to a gentleman who lived near Newark - he appears to have used it as his "retreat" and it never 'went out'.

We purchased her in May 2015 with 95 / 96 hours on the clocks.

We have not yet used her, as our summer cruise started middle of May

Having just come back from our last narrowboat cruise (6th July) we decided to have a shake down cruise and go down the Trent for a few days.

We have gone the other way. Just sold our beautiful 130 year old ex steam tug (converted to cruising liveaboard) and moved onto a narrowboat. We will miss the lumpy stuff and Cornwall and the lack of officialdom but an old boat weighing over 70 tons and needing so much maintenance was just too much for us now.

So we have retired to the fens and the less stressful life of the inland waterways.

I wish you well Alan and hope the new boat is everything you want.

• Greenie 1

...however (maybe) next year could be Norway, Belgium, Germany. France or Spain the only limit is the cost of the fuel.[/font][/size]

It sounds like it may have been some years since you were mooring your boat at continental coastal harbours. From what I hear, these days the costs can be quite astronomical.

A friend on a boat in France tells me he often sees seagoing boaters far inland complaining because they've been priced out and can't afford to be anywhere near the coast.

Edited by blackrose

It sounds like it may have been some years since you were mooring your boat at continental coastal harbours. From what I hear, these days the costs can be quite astronomical.

A friend on a boat in France tells me he often sees seagoing boaters far inland complaining because they've been priced out and can't afford to be anywhere near the coast.

Quite true if you want the facilities, however, if you are self sufficient, anchoring up in a 'quiet cove' can be achieved at minimal cost.

I don't know how often you use the (UK) Inland waterways marinas - they are not all cheap !!!

York Marina - overnight charge

£3.00 per metre with a minimum charge of £21.

A 20 metre (66 foot) narrowboat would be £60 per night.

York Marina - 7-day mooring

£11.00 per metre

We've just paid 12 months at a marina, water, electric, showers, the lot, private with a card thingy to open the gate, all brand new, 12 months for a 10 metre x 3.4m boat - 600 euros, a bit less than £450 . Valenciennes, Northern France.

Fine boat sir, and all the best to you. Know what you mean about the moaning brigade; a certain "type" seem to be taking over on the cut, and it is worse for it. Still some great folk out there though.

• 3 weeks later...

The End & The Beginning

The end of an era.

Goodbye “Muddy Ditch”

Sorry you have become unhappy with the canal network. I suppose it is all how one sees things. From my view point things have greatly improved since boating from 1967.

To name two things, Birmingham centre, K&A canal.

Great looking boat you now have and I'm sure you will be very happy with your new adventure.

:)

Thanks for the good wishes.

Enjoying personalising the new boat and getting her how we want her.

Removing one of the toilets (she has 3 'heads') re-plumbing, remove sink and cupboards, and convert it into a wet-room.

One heads to be converted to cassette, other to remain as a pump-out.

Replaced old freezer and fridges with new 'modern' economical ones (220v Freezer and 12v Fridge)

Getting to grips and re-organising the charging systems and general 12v wiring (nothing labelled and all 'orange Black & Decker' 2-core cable.

Re-wiring the 6 x 230 AH batteries.

Re-wire and replace GPS aerial, nav lights, anchor light etc, after not realising that Radar Arch does not go under Trent Bridge ( we are about 15 feet air draft)

Just to say i like your Boat very much and it looks really nice, i hope you can start enjoying it now away from all the silly rules and gossip on the canal system.

All the best with your new Boatsmile.png

Its stunning.

Edited by brassedoff