CRT Customer Announcement - Mooring Pins No Longer Allowed

matty40s

Featured Posts

9 July2015

CANAL & RIVER TRUST ANNOUNCE NEW MOORINGS INITIATIVE TO REDUCE BANKSIDE DAMAGE

The Canal & River Trust Head of Customer Services Manager, Ian Rogers,has announced itr's latest initiative to reduce bankside damage and erosion, along with protecting the flora and fauna of our waterways.

This initiative supports the Trusts 10-year strategy to improve the environment for cyclists and dog walkers, and is part of a renewed focus on improving the service the charity offers to customers for voles, earthworms and nettles.

From the start of August, mooring pins will no longer be allowed on any bankside on CRT waters.

From extensive research conducted in the last two weeks, it has been concluded that mooring pins cause structural damage to our canals more than any other cause.

Our partners the chandlerys have been given advance notice to run stocks down.
Richard Parry, chief executive of the Canal & River Trust, said: Im delighted that initiatives such as nappy pins, bollards and other things to tie up to have been introduced to all our visitor moorings. Our future success requires us to continue to change how we do things; to generate income with all those who use or visit our waterways, or live alongside them, in a different way, and to make customer service and community involvement central to how we operate. There is no need for people to moor out in the countryside, our 48 hour moorings are of excellent variety and we are increasing their number every month. If you want to stay longer, you can easily pay our extended stay charge by invoice, although we cannot provide a book in advance service yet"

Our partners the chandlerys have been given advance notice to run stocks down of the mooring pins..
Boaters will be encouraged to buy the CRT "Restitute the Bank" packs at a small cost of £9.99, which includes enough hardcore to fill 4 mooring pin holes. If you do get stuck somewhere and have to use these historically defunct implements, we do consider that you should respect the enviroment and purchase several packs to enure the towpaths longevity for all users.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:
Moo R E Pins, national press officer, Canal & River Trust
m 07796 127737 e spoof@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

I think that's very remiss of you Matty from some of the seemingly implausible so called changes to t&c's giving them (C&RT) an idea such as this could lead some office bod that's possibly never seen a rural canal, to think what a good idea & possibly try to implement it, under the premise that a boater brought it up so it must be an idea worth looking into to implement clapping.gif

Edited by X Alan W

Actually I think that's quite a good idea, its so easy to trip over the things, I suggest boats should carry some really long pins and drive them into the canal bed and tie to them instead, no more unsightly holes in the towpath.

Ooooo lolol i spent all yesterday googling *springs* and proper knots after reading loads of posts about being chucked here theer n alover by speedys then read this n thort ohhh nooo what have i got to learn about now ??

Matty very good.

The worrying thing from your OP is that we have got to the stage where a post like yours could almost be believable.

I think the first tactic is to make the towpaths so unwelcoming that people just do not want to stop. CRT will soon be able to create more 48 hour mooring because simply there will be nowhere else to moor.

When will the C&RT announcement be published saying,

"Boats over 2'3" draft to stop moving due to silt and low water levels"

No need for an announcement. We already know. A friend has tried getting up to Hebdon Bridge from Manchester this week....had to stop 3 times, get in the water, and spend 2 hours each time cutting away sofa springs, bedsprings, you name it. I think it's because his boats low and drags everything into the prop. On the same stretch, I had to spend an hour cutting away a spring metal liner for a portapool...impossible to cut....impossible to bend....a nightmare it was....

smiley_offtopic.gif Just achieved 400 lock miles since setting off and first time down weed hatch at Rodley on L&L to remove length of rope 5FTish and a black bin bag .

This is the boating record to beat as I have done some shallow canals .

Edited by b0atman