So What To Do Now?

kris88

Featured Posts

have you got any more pics of the rest of the Boat Kriss while it was in dry dock - looks interesting - my other question is if the boat cant move how did you get it to the dry dock and back to the same spot again, or did it break down after the work?

hows the new engine you put in?

whats not working?

Why change a habit of a lifetime? :-)

Just stick to your flawed, generalistic & 'whatever suits my opinion' views !

Many of my views have been modified thanks to those on this forum who put up a reasonable counter arguments rather than just throw up insults. Most of us come in here to debate, offer help and learn something. Others come on here to display their ego...

what does my head in on these threads is - genuine questions and interest, plus advice gets lost in the bickering posts, give it a break guys, its not good when your interested in a topic and come back from work to find 9 pages to go through to pick out the revevant posts.

• Greenie 2

Whilst certain members come on here with the view ' my way or no way' , 'I'm right , everyone else is wrong' and other such sanctimonious claptrap...

Yes, it seems that way...

what does my head in on these threads is - genuine questions and interest, plus advice gets lost in the bickering posts, give it a break guys, its not good when your interested in a topic and come back from work to find 9 pages to go through to pick out the revevant posts.

Maybe that's because it's an emotive subject...and you'll always get the odd troll...

Kriss........I know what it takes to restore an old boat that many think is beyond it. I would hate to see anyone who has put in as much work and care, as your pictures suggest you have, lose their dream. The cost of making your boat minimally moveable is minor......weld a cross bar to your rudder stock mount a very small outboard (and it can be very small, in the past I have seen a full length butty moved by an old Seagull) that will give you enough to cruise far enough to satisfy CRT. So this way it will take you lots longer to finish.....but what the hell, what's another year, it's better than losing your boat !!! You will not get anywhere saying "I am being hounded by officialdom" They ARE being reasonable (for the moment) so take advantage of that !!!

• Greenie 1

Here is some photos of the recent work.

3580309F-F1B1-4576-AC5B-B0A21872FBFD_zps

D9B49853-BF74-486E-B9A4-FABB023918C1_zps

E9AFBB28-2901-4028-9A46-CB0F90067D0E_zps

A27B441C-9E37-44C5-B1F1-C235B332E083_zps

7288184B-83FE-492B-9F2D-47010C5401A5_zps

88ED584E-DCB3-4F82-AC9D-A81FC7816EFB_zps

49AFA409-0931-4426-B4E3-35C355FD8FDE_zps

610866E8-8EB2-40C8-84F7-0747661F5952_zps

0E1003BF-F246-4DF2-AEB4-36A7DDF92980_zps

Hope these are linked to for the people who have expressed an interest in recent work on the boat

Can I ask why the plate between the hull flange & stern bush flange is some what larger in diameter? will it not have an effect on the water flow to the boss section of the prop by shielding the flow & possibly causing turbulence

Rope cutter by the look of it.

I fitted one to our boat, it was about 3" diameter, fitted behind the 14" prop clamped to the shaft.

Seemed to help with weed on the middle level although there wasn't a huge amount to test it in anger

I seem to recall this would not be an option because the OP cannot afford a mooring AND pay for the repairs their boat needs. It has been suggested previously ISTR.

Well, he's had nine months now to save up from his wages or salary; perhaps it's financial improvidence which is the root of his problem.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but where is the boat at the moment? Surely as a temporary stop-gap measure one of us could tow it a few miles along the cut which would at least buy 14 days of time to play with?

This option was offered to Kriss on his previous thread and also on this thread, it would appear he doesn't want to move.

Phil

As for Kris, having read both this thread and the one from April, I am genuinely sorry to hear of his problems. I accept that it was never his intention to remain on the towpath as long as he has, but that doesn't change the fact that the extent and timescale of the renovations he's faced with means he cannot realistically claim to be engaged in bona fide navigation. I fear he is going to be denied a further renewal of his licence and ultimately lose his boat unless he can find a way to either comply with his CC licence conditions, acquire a mooring for the boat or remove it from the water until he can complete the work and resume cruising.

Removing the boat from the water might actually be the best option. In fact, if he'd done this months ago, he could have saved himself the cost of a licence, and wouldn't be on the radar at all.

Removing the boat from the water might actually be the best option. In fact, if he'd done this months ago, he could have saved himself the cost of a licence, and wouldn't be on the radar at all.

And most yards offer discounted rates for long term storage ashore so the cost may well have been comparable with the licence cost he has been paying.

I then went on to suggest the 14 day law is rubbish and abolishing the act could save CRT a lot of our money on enforcement. Quite a few disagree. One of the objections was that the system woukd quickly fill up with live aboards.

Again it would be useful to look at the numbers before making any judgement opn whether removing the 14 day rule would be sensible or not. Do you know how much is spent on enforcing the 14 day rule, specifically, as opposed to enforcing all the other licence requirements?

Then what would be the effect of removing the blanket 14 day rule? Would all moorings other than those already designated as less than 14 days become time unlimited? Or, would some moorings which are currently not specifically time limited need to be designated as 14 days or some other time between 14 days and inifinity? If so what would be the one-off cost of establishing those restrictions (signage, publication) and what would be the ongoing cost of enforcing those restrictions?

Would the derestricting of towpath moorings create the possibility that a particular stretch of toiwpath could be nominated as a boat's home mooring, being a place where the boat can be kept when not being used for navigation? Given the way the Act isd written, it wopuld be hard to argue that it couldn't be so designated. If so, what effect would that have on those who currently pay for a home mooring, whether or not they are live aboards?

I ask the questions not to be argumentative, because like you I can think of many places where having boats moored for longer than 14 days would not cause a problem of any kind and there may be scope for relaxing or even removing the 14 day restriction in those places. But the devil, as always, is in the detail.

I once had a junior manager report to me.

He would regularly contact me with long winded tales of disaster and complicated issues that were tying him up.

I quickly learned to interrupt and ask him if it was now resolved.

Invariably it was and he was bigging up his part or painting a scenario to gain sympathy for what a hard day he'd had.

But Kris considers he has a perfect right to stay on the towpath IIRC.

He said in the previous thread he considers it reasonable under the circumstances to stay there indefinitely as he has broken down. As such he is relying on the bit in 17.3 © (ii) "or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances." This is where his view of the situation conflicts with that of almost everyone else including CRT.

In addition Kris also considers his efforts in saving a historic vessel should release his from the requirement to navigate. (Even though the law is silent on this point.)

Is this correct Kris?

I'm puzzled about where the boat is now though, given it has clearly moved into a dry dock. Is it still in there Kris?

Nice engineering by the way.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

And most yards offer discounted rates for long term storage ashore so the cost may well have been comparable with the licence cost he has been paying.

The difficulty for Kris is that my understanding is that he is not simply looking for storage, but for a place he can have the boat while continuing to live on it. Otherwise he will be faced with the cost of finding an alternative place to live as well as a place to store the boat.

The difficulty for Kris is that my understanding is that he is not simply looking for storage, but for a place he can have the boat while continuing to live on it. Otherwise he will be faced with the cost of finding an alternative place to live as well as a place to store the boat.

Speak the several yards, some are happy for this arrangement. Ours certainly is. There are several people who lived on their boats ashore over the winter whilst we were out.

Thje difficulty as I understand it from Kris's posts in the previous thread, is that he currently Kris is paying nothing for his towpath mooring meaning he can afford to work on the boat. If what little spare cash he has is spent on mooring (or hard standing) this will prevent him doing work on the boat.

Living on it while doing the work is a secondary hurdle...