So What To Do Now?

kris88

Featured Posts

I haven't time to read every post, but I wish Kris well with this boat; I remember these boats from being a kid, and the more of these that can be saved, the better. I would hate to hear of it being taken from you.

That said, I think your best bet is to move it on a bit and get some proof that you have done so. I would love to help but am moored at the wrong end of the L&L (away from even there at present.)

If it is of any assistance, I recall boats like your own being moved in the '60's with an outboard motor clamped to a bracket which was bolted onto the rudder. It didn't seem to need a huge outboard to get them moving, and I don't think you will need to be moving so far at a time? Could you borrow an outboard? If I had an outboard large enough I would gladly lend you it, so perhaps others might?

Either way, good luck and chin up, but I still maintain that you will be best trying to move the old girl somehow.

Could you arrange a charity pull at your local work/boozer/club/whatever and get volunteers to bow haul it a few miles and raise a few bob for a charity in the bargain? Just a thought?

Kris - Have I got this right?

During the past 9 - 11 months you've been broke down and whilst undertaking the repairs you have been moored in the same spot on the tow path.

During the past 9 - 11 months you have moved the boat on two occasions into dry dock / boat yard to have some of the repairs completed & upon leaving the boat yard have twice returned to the same mooring spot where you originally broke down.

If the above is accurate, then I don't understand why you've chosen to return to the same location when you've had the opportunity on two separate occasions to move the boat a couple of miles in the other direction or further on from where you've been; whereby you could have contacted CRT and let them know you've actually moved the boat. Albeit not very far, but it might have shown CRT you're at least trying to comply with the license commitment you agreed to abide by when getting the license in the first place.

Can I ask, how long were you broke down for before you contacted CRT to advise them of your situation? Was it during the first 14 days or did you wait for them to make contact with you after you were noticed overstaying on the first sighting?

Personally I don't really think it matters a toss whether your boat is a historically significant boat or a million pound cruiser or a 15 year old narrow boat.. And to be honest I don't think CRT should give a toss as to the age, design or style of the boat either. We all pay a license fee and all have to abide by the T&C's of our license as best we can.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that there are folks out there trying their hardest to keep some of the history of the old boats alive with maintaining and restoring them. I quite enjoy seeing and hearing them go past us & I would like to think it provides a chance of learning a bit of the history of what the canals were originally designed for.

• Greenie 1

Kris88, there is one option which people haven't already suggested: Sell the boat. Sell it NOW. Its quite clear that you can't afford its upkeep, if it has any historical value then you'll get that back in money, and if it doesn't......well so be it. If its a historically valuable boat give someone else, with the proper facilities and budget, the chance to restore it properly and do it justice rather than the 11 month long saga in replacing a few parts you've done.

With the money, you could buy another far more suitable boat (and if you really want to CC, move it around a bit?). If you can't afford that, then.......so be it.

Hello Kris, I have a lot of admiration for people that restore-and try to rescue historical boats from the breakers, and sincerely hope that you'll be able to do so too.

But.....with the seemingly never ending problems you're having with CART, it doesn't look very promissing I'm sad to say.

Reading through this (your) topic, I see that several people have offered their help to give you a tow to get you to a new place, and so maybe stop CART's actions against you, of course you'll have to repeat that move every 2 weeks to get a better name with CART, and if you manage one day, you'll be independent to move your boat yourself again, when everything you need to move her is in good working order.

There's one thing that worries me (a bit), and that is that all these kind people that have offered their help, may lose their friendlyness only because of the way you react (if you do react at all) unless you've let them know through PM's that you appreciate their very kind offers, and that you'll ask them for a tow maybe at a later stage.

Of course that's something between you and them, and other forum-members don't have to know about it, but if you haven't done that, it may be a good thing to do.

For the rest all I can say is that I wish you the very best, and all the luck to finish this big projet.

Cheers, Peter.

I think on that note, it might be a good idea to lock the thread. It's had it's share of comments from both sides, and I think it's now time for Kris to concentrate on dealing directly with CRT instead of managing comments on here (even though it's another thread he started...which is probably not that wise in the first place.)

I'm sure we all wish him well, and hope it turns out ok. For now, I feel the right thing to do is probably lock it. (rightly or wrongly).

I'd suggest that Kris does PM those who've offered help, as Peter suggests above, and if anyone wishes to offer further help, would suggest they PM Kris directly.

Edited by DeanS