So What To Do Now?

kris88

Featured Posts

Just a slight point the offer of a 3 month licence does not mean he can stay where he is until he gets his new licence. He needs to start moving tomorrow

And if he doesn't satisfy CRT during that three months period, then they won't renew his licence on a Ccing basis.

He really does need to get real now and get sorted out, otherwise in three months time he will find himself in an even more difficult situation and quite frankly it would be hard to see how any court would rule in his favour.

Edited by Naughty Cal

And if he doesn't satisfy CRT during that three months period, then they won't renew his licence on a Ccing basis.

He really does need to get real now and get sorted out, otherwise in three months time he will find himself in an even more difficult situation and quite frankly it would be hard to see how any court would rule in his favour.

"Get real now...."

He can't even bother to join in a thread he started asking what now.

Ok suppose there were 3. Suppose you had a representative sample of Londoners, all 8,000,000 of them. That would be 3 x 8,000 = 24,000. That is not a few. But that is a trivial point.

More importantly:

There isn't a PC way of saying it kindly so I'll be blunt. You don't have the necessary thinking skills to work out problems like these.

Ok, so how come there aren't 24,000 live aboards in London then? Just maybe because it's already reached saturation point and that in itself puts people off doing it.

I think if 1000 Londoners were asked if they'd like to live on a boat, 999 of them would say YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Or at least when I mention I used to live on my boat, people invariably respond with "How delightful" or "I am so jealous" or something along those lines. And usually followed by some close questioning as to why I don't any more.

Good to see the usual suspects out in force. Rachel and Mike can hardly contain there glee, to name but two. For those commenting on the fact I haven't replied fast enough, get real or should I say get a life? It's summer there's a world outside.

Thank good gurl for your concern about my boat. I have been back in the drydock and fitted the new stern gear since last post, I am making engine and gearbox mounts at the moment and working on alignment. If I can remember how to I'll post some pictures.

As for everybody else maybe you would like to remember that I am human being and this is my life situation before posting .

Regards kris

• Greenie 1

And according to your earlier generalisation... NONE of them choose to do it?

None of those I have spoken to, no. One person did get as far as looking at a couple of boats with the view of living on one, then gave up. There are many further steps to take before someone actually gets as far as living on one.

Good to see the usual suspects out in force. Rachel and Mike can hardly contain there glee, to name but two. For those commenting on the fact I haven't replied fast enough, get real or should I say get a life? It's summer there's a world outside.

Thank good gurl for your concern about my boat. I have been back in the drydock and fitted the new stern gear since last post, I am making engine and gearbox mounts at the moment and working on alignment. If I can remember how to I'll post some pictures.

As for everybody else maybe you would like to remember that I am human being and this is my life situation before posting .

Regards kris

I shall leave somebody else to post what lots are thinking.

Good night kris and good luck because you sure as hell need it now.

Regards kris

I take it the usual suspects in this instance are pretty much all of the forum members who have taken their time to respond to your post asking for advice?

With the exception of one person, who was just bleating their usual CRT are bullies routine, the forum is in agreement with what the course of action needs to be.

You can continue to bury your head in the sand if you like but it won't help your case. Unless you make efforts to move your boat or take a mooring you will lose your boat.

The choice is very much yours.

Regards kris

Indeed you are human and I hope you find an answer to your issues but I don't really understand why you would post a question I suspect you already know the answer to but become defensive about what would seem obvious replies.

There are many that will be sympathetic to what you are trying to do with your old boat and hope you succeed (as do I) and also willing to help you either move the boat or fix your engine/drive train. You also need to help yourself too ( I know you are working on your boat) by making sure sure you comply as soon as possible with CRTs requirements in order to keep your licence and the way of life you wish to lead.

So with respect I suggest you don't post OPs like this one where it just creates an argument and solves nothing but put your energy into a solution to what can only be a worsening situation if you leave it be without taking any action.

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 1

Regards kris

Kriss you asked what to do. Some have offered to help some have answered your question. You have not it seems liked the answers. My Dad advised me many years ago "if you don't think you are going to like the answer, don't ask the question" I wish you all the best and if I was you would practice another saying "Good morning Judge"

Good to see the usual suspects out in force. Rachel and Mike can hardly contain there glee, to name but two.

Well I've only made one short comment so far on the subject, and that was to correct a factual error rather than make any comment.

But seeing as you think otherwise I may as well add my opinion.

I think it suits you just fine to be moored there permanently, which is why you reject the numerous offers of help to move your boat, in both this thread and your previous thread on the same subject.

That's about it, really.

MtB

One of the problems seems to be the confrontational attitude.. It doesn't help. Admittedly it often comes from a repressed feeling of guilt - there's no way Kris can possibly think he hasn't broken the terms of his contract with CRT, however valid he thinks his reasons are. You really should only ever pick fights that you think you have a fair chance of winning in dealing with authority.

Regards kris

Kris, just a suggestion. If you can relate to anyone here (we all care I think) PM them. I'm probably too anti CRT to help you and that goes back to a very bad personal experience I had with BWB many years ago. Maybe time for me to forgive and forget.

None of those I have spoken to, no. One person did get as far as looking at a couple of boats with the view of living on one, then gave up. There are many further steps to take before someone actually gets as far as living on one.

And what percentage of this 'saturation point' of live-aboards have you spoken to to state categorically that no one chooses to live on a boat as you previously suggest?

Edited by andyberg

And what percentage of this 'saturation point' of live-aboards have you spoken to to state categorically that no one chooses to live on a boat as you previously suggest?

It's not a question I often bring up with live aboards as they are already doing it. It is something I tend to discuss with those who take an interest in my life style. That's about as far as it gets...particularly after they've been on the boat for a day or two. I'm being genuinely truthful, I've not met anyone other than those who already live on a boat who wants to do it. Some are attracted to the idea.

My gripe is how the 'London problem' gets expanded into a 'national problem'. There is plenty of space, just not in the heart of London and a few other hot spots. Point taken though, I'll leave the London problem to those who are living there.

I think if 1000 Londoners were asked if they'd like to live on a boat, 999 of them would say YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Or at least when I mention I used to live on my boat, people invariably respond with "How delightful" or "I am so jealous" or something along those lines. And usually followed by some close questioning as to why I don't any more.

That's certainly my experience. The "How delightful" is always followed up by "How do you keep warm in winter?"

N

I'm being genuinely truthful, I've not met anyone other than those who already live on a boat who wants to do it.

It's not a question of not being truthful, it's a question of sample size.

Of the roughly 30,000 pleasure boats licensed on CRT water, what proportion are live aboards? Is it as many as 1 boat in 10?

But even if it was as many as 1 in 3, that would be just 10,000 live aboard boats, which would mean maybe 15-20,000 live aboard boaters. That's basically the population of Barnstaple.

Now ask yourself how many of the people you've chatted to, tell you that they want to go and live in Barnstaple. Be truthful. Is it none, or hardly any? And what can you reasonably conclude from that, about the reasons why people actually do live in Barnstaple?

Actually I would be surprised if there were as many as 6,000 full-time live aboard boaters on CRT water. Roughly the population of Ventnor, IOW. If so, that would be less than 0.01% of the UK population and I suggest it is that, rather than the desirability or otherwise of living aboard a canal boat, which means you don't tend to bump into them, or those who aspire to be them, among the population in general.

As for Kris, having read both this thread and the one from April, I am genuinely sorry to hear of his problems. I accept that it was never his intention to remain on the towpath as long as he has, but that doesn't change the fact that the extent and timescale of the renovations he's faced with means he cannot realistically claim to be engaged in bona fide navigation. I fear he is going to be denied a further renewal of his licence and ultimately lose his boat unless he can find a way to either comply with his CC licence conditions, acquire a mooring for the boat or remove it from the water until he can complete the work and resume cruising.

It's not a question of not being truthful, it's a question of sample size.

Of the roughly 30,000 pleasure boats licensed on CRT water, what proportion are live aboards? Is it as many as 1 boat in 10?

But even if it was as many as 1 in 3, that would be just 10,000 live aboard boats, which would mean maybe 15-20,000 live aboard boaters. That's basically the population of Barnstaple.

Now ask yourself how many of the people you've chatted to, tell you that they want to go and live in Barnstaple. Be truthful. Is it none, or hardly any? And what can you reasonably conclude from that, about the reasons why people actually do live in Barnstaple?

Actually I would be surprised if there were as many as 6,000 full-time live aboard boaters on CRT water. Roughly the population of Ventnor, IOW. If so, that would be less than 0.01% of the UK population and I suggest it is that, rather than the desirability or otherwise of living aboard a canal boat, which means you don't tend to bump into them, or those who aspire to be them, among the population in general.

As for Kris, having read both this thread and the one from April, I am genuinely sorry to hear of his problems. I accept that it was never his intention to remain on the towpath as long as he has, but that doesn't change the fact that the extent and timescale of the renovations he's faced with means he cannot realistically claim to be engaged in bona fide navigation. I fear he is going to be denied a further renewal of his licence and ultimately lose his boat unless he can find a way to either comply with his CC licence conditions, acquire a mooring for the boat or remove it from the water until he can complete the work and resume cruising.

Of course the sample size is insufficient. That's why I brought up the point that even if you sampled 1000 Londoners you might only get a few who would actually go all the way through with it....maybe even zero.

I started with the hyperthetical question, woukd anyone object to what Kris is doing if there was no 14 day restriction law? I couldn't see much/any objection. I then went on to suggest the 14 day law is rubbish and abolishing the act could save CRT a lot of our money on enforcement. Quite a few disagree. One of the objections was that the system woukd quickly fill up with live aboards. I was trying to point out this is speculation and that maybe London has already reached saturation point so it's unlikely. As for most of the rest of the country, woukd it really fill up with live aboards? Maybe, maybe not. I personally don't think so. But of course I don't know.

Edited to clarify what I mean by saturation point. I don't mean the system being totally blocked up so there are no vacant VM''s and no navigation. I mean nowhere left that a CM'er can reasonably moor up.

Anyway, as I said, I'll try to avoid commenting on London and the K&A in future as there are far more qualified people on the subject. As suggested, maybe it's best to stick to what I know.

Edited by bassplayer