Sold My Scrap Batteries

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Having bought some Trojan T105s, I had 3 cheap 110Ah batteries that have been on deck for about 3 years, and the 3 x Varta Hobby Leisures just replaced.

Took them to a local scrap yard, weighed in at 175kg for the 6, and got 40p per kg = £70.

Had to provide ID, (photo driving licence), proof of address, (utility or bank statement), and bank account for online transfer - no cash anymore.

Called a few yards on Tuesday and 40p is the rate at each of them. Process fairly straightforward, although I hope I wont be going again for many years.

But they have to drain them to a hazard waste tank and pay for disposal then open the case and dispose, then remove lead plates. This all has a labour content so not as much profit as first seems to you.

Neil

Beat me to it Peter.

Neil

The current price of lead is USD1,784 per tonne, and it has been rising for some time.

That equates to £1.12 per kilo.

Not a bad deal - for the buyer.

They are welcome to it! It took me three years to get round to this. Imagine how long it would have taken me to dismantle them safely, extract the lead, acid, plastic, and find somewhere to sell it at that price!

Having bought some Trojan T105s, I had 3 cheap 110Ah batteries that have been on deck for about 3 years, and the 3 x Varta Hobby Leisures just replaced.

Took them to a local scrap yard, weighed in at 175kg for the 6, and got 40p per kg = £70.

Had to provide ID, (photo driving licence), proof of address, (utility or bank statement), and bank account for online transfer - no cash anymore.

Called a few yards on Tuesday and 40p is the rate at each of them. Process fairly straightforward, although I hope I wont be going again for many years.

Can you tell us where these yards are? Manchester? Names of yards? I ask because we have a number of AGM and normal lead acids to weigh in. A collection service would be really good , though less dosh for them then I expect.

Can you tell us where these yards are? Manchester? Names of yards? I ask because we have a number of AGM and normal lead acids to weigh in. A collection service would be really good , though less dosh for them then I expect.

J. Davidson in Broadheath, Altrincham, is easiest to find, just behind Halfords, in between Navigation Road lights and Sinderland Road lights, although they might have other yards nearby. 0161 928 9981

I went to Bennett Bros. in Old Trafford, Cornbrook View, Cornbrook Road, M15 4WB. Bit of a convoluted process - checkin and get batteries weighed in the yard on the right under the railway bridge, then back to the office on the main road to get paid. 0161 848 7126.

When I called they said £0.40 per kilo for open lead acid, so I don't know if things are different for AGM.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Richard10002

J. Davidson in Broadheath, Altrincham, is easiest to find, just behind Halfords, in between Navigation Road lights and Sinderland Road lights, although they might have other yards nearby. 0161 928 9981

I went to Bennett Bros. in Old Trafford, Cornbrook View, Cornbrook Road, M15 4WB. Bit of a convoluted process - checkin and get batteries weighed in the yard on the right under the railway bridge, then back to the office on the main road to get paid. 0161 848 7126.

When I called they said £0.40 per kilo for open lead acid, so I don't know if things are different for AGM.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that's interesting, Davidson's used to be? in the arches at Broadheath next to the canal and Bennett Bros used to be in Castlefield under the arches later at Cornbrook.

I'm thinking delivery by boat might be possible, though the latter is several feet above the towpath behind a high fence so not very accessible.

Bill

Thanks, that's interesting, Davidson's used to be? in the arches at Broadheath next to the canal and Bennett Bros used to be in Castlefield under the arches later at Cornbrook.

I'm thinking delivery by boat might be possible, though the latter is several feet above the towpath behind a high fence so not very accessible.

Bill

The arches at Broadheath are just behind Halfords and, with a trolley, you may be able to get them to the yard as there is access from the canal. I'd check with Davidsons that this is the right yard for batteries, and with Google Earth that there is a way through.

Bennett Bros. is also by the canal in Cornbrook, as you say, but I don't think there is an easy route through, although I'm pretty sure there is a route to the Metro Station which I think is on the opposite side of the canal. EDIT: the metro is on the same side and, whilst there seems to be a slipway from the towpath up to the road, I recall it being gated off at the scrap yard side, so probably no way through.

Edited by Richard10002

Does anyone know of a place on/near the GU between Uxbridge & Milton Keynes that take old batteries? We don't have a car, so Dave would be walking, using our little trolley to take our 4.

Would love to be rid of them and for £30 - £40 I might just be able to convince him it would be worth the effort frusty.gif

Does anyone know of a place on/near the GU between Uxbridge & Milton Keynes that take old batteries? We don't have a car, so Dave would be walking, using our little trolley to take our 4.

Would love to be rid of them and for £30 - £40 I might just be able to convince him it would be worth the effort frusty.gif

Most scrapyards will take them. I don't know any within trolley distance of the canal there but someone's bound to.

although I'm pretty sure there is a route to the Metro Station which I think is on the opposite side of the canal. EDIT: the metro is on the same side and, whilst there seems to be a slipway from the towpath up to the road, I recall it being gated off at the scrap yard side, so probably no way through.

Are you suggesting I take several cwts of batteries on the tram!?! There is a route vaguely from origin to destination but no ticket available for goods as far as I know. Also, changing tram at Piccadilly could be fraughtsad.png

Most scrapyards will take them. I don't know any within trolley distance of the canal there but someone's bound to.

Just as a point of interest, I disposed of an old washing machine whilst in Birmingham and took it to the scrap yard on a trolley as I don't have a car. There was quite a palaver involved since they insisted that they needed to take my car registration number for their records. Eventually accepted a variety of proofs of ID and paid by bank transfer. This isn't a complaint as I do know what they are up against and they are expected to make every effort possible not to buy stolen scrap metal.

The current price of lead is USD1,784 per tonne, and it has been rising for some time.

That equates to £1.12 per kilo.

Not a bad deal - for the buyer.

Is that the buying price for contaminated scrap lead, or the selling price for pure lead ingots?

ASM have a yard between Kings Langley and Nash Mills, though I have never used them, I'm told others have weighed batteries in there.

However, whilst "as the crow flies" it is very near to the canal, I suspect carting a load of lead filled batteries from the nearest road bridge over the cut might be considerably less appealing!

I got £400/tonne for scrap lead/acid batteries a year ago. Mostly cheapo 110Ah leisure, a couple of (very heavy) 135Ah and a couple of 90Ah starter batteries averaged ~£10 a piece. Took me two trips in my Clio to transport sixteen batteries! The whole lot (0.4 tonne) would have been fine in the back of my Kangoo van.

If you cannot take them to the scrapyard yourself there will be a local, hard-up boater who will pay you ~£2 or £3 each even if they have to transport them for a mile or two in a wheelbarrow.

Some scrap batteries end up being 'rejuvenated' and sold as 'good, secondhand' but not those sold to a reputable dealer.

Alan.