Enforcement on the Bridgewater

DeanS

Featured Posts

Thanks for the information, we were considering coming down onto the Bridgewater for a week at the end of the month, but want to be in Worsley for a wedding mid July; so it looks as though our plans are going to have to change now.

Just buy a short term licence....I think.

My issue is I'm in this area all year, and I can't afford buying numerous short term licences at the inflated price. I've sent a mail to them asking about the new monthly licences...I was told £240 per month, but that was something to include a Castlefield mooring of some sort, so I'm hoping for some clarification soon....(although all my previous mails have gone unanswered...) I may make a phone call tomorrow to see if I can get someone to spill the beans over the phone as to the new monthly licence price....

I was told today that the enforcement guy on The Bridgewater thinks my boat is a liveaboard because I have 2 TV aerials, a radio aerial and a 4G aerial. ("all those aerials "was what was said). Nothing official, but who knows what might happen :(

I dont live on the boat, but it is kitted out in such a way that I could if I wanted, and my mooring and license allowed.

Gotya its a bit of a bugger to say the least. Jayne loves doing manual locks so we go up sheffield every couple of months which is 14-15 locks and a mornings work if all goes well. I dont know anyway out for you other than an area change with better cruising conditions, I get fed up of doing the same area so hopefully as long as the business is sold its CCing for me 6-7 months of the year and then France or a sailing boat and the Med icecream.gif

Peter

No you don't I go to Sheffield every Month, I never see you on the visitor moorings

Edited by Northernboater

No you don't I go to Sheffield every Month, I never see you on the visitor moorings

You have a real problem a while ago you had everyone on here having a go at you over Marcus you constantly have a go at me i think you need to go and get a life. For your information I stop at johnathon Wilsons moorings only stayed a few times on CV moorings and also you need to read my post few months not every month. I was there yesterday having a drink with friends didnt see your boat there either

Peter

I was told today that the enforcement guy on The Bridgewater thinks my boat is a liveaboard because I have 2 TV aerials, a radio aerial and a 4G aerial. ("all those aerials "was what was said). Nothing official, but who knows what might happen sad.png

I dont live on the boat, but it is kitted out in such a way that I could if I wanted, and my mooring and license allowed.

Apparently the enforcement guy was thrown into the canal by someone recently.

I've also discovered that he's being ultra selective with me, while leaving other boaters alone...so I'm beginning to wonder if it's anti-widebeam, anti-liveaboard or....gulp...God forbid....anti-immigrants on the Bridgewater......you really can't help thinking these things when it seems the rules aren't being enforced the same for everyone.....

according to the bridgewater site a weekly license is £40 so how come they want £240 a month when 4 x £40 = £160, thats just crazy dean.

there never was an actual monthly licence...only weekly....and you couldn't buy 4 weeklys....but it seems things may have changed...the £240 was a price for a mooring in Castlefield basin...but again....I haven't been able to get that confirmed, because a lot of the boats in Castlefield are currently living free..so it's all very confusing...I'm going to call them tomorrow, and put on a false voice and ask...do monthly licenses exist...and how much :)

I've also discovered that he's being ultra selective with me, while leaving other boaters alone...so I'm beginning to wonder if it's anti-widebeam, anti-liveaboard or....gulp...God forbid....anti-immigrants on the Bridgewater......you really can't help thinking these things when it seems the rules aren't being enforced the same for everyone.....

May well be the case on the wider network soon , now that overstaying charges are at the whim of volunteer mooring Rangers.

I've also discovered that he's being ultra selective with me, while leaving other boaters alone...so I'm beginning to wonder if it's anti-widebeam, anti-liveaboard or....gulp (snip)

Or maybe just because you haven't thrown him into the canal??cheers.gif

Iain

Unfortunately its something you can do nothing about. Its similar to a speeding motorist saying "you've let lots of other cars go past, why stop me". A lot's been already said on the thread but obviously you are non-compliant with the rules as they stand, as I see it a sensible way forward is to change the rules but you need to be realistic in that they might not see it in the same way and feel no need to change their rules. Definitely worth trying to talk to them properly though.

Or maybe just because you haven't thrown him into the canal??:cheers:

Iain

Apparently, Peel have said that he hasn't been assaulted physically in any way, it's just a rumour. I would expect that if he had been thrown in the canal, or beaten up, somebody would be arrested and charged...

Unfortunately its something you can do nothing about. Its similar to a speeding motorist saying "you've let lots of other cars go past, why stop me". A lot's been already said on the thread but obviously you are non-compliant with the rules as they stand, as I see it a sensible way forward is to change the rules but you need to be realistic in that they might not see it in the same way and feel no need to change their rules. Definitely worth trying to talk to them properly though.

I don't usually get involved with these discussions, but, Dean is a customer of CaRT who wishes to cruise on a privately owned canal, but not comply with the reciprical arrangements as they stand. Why should this private company want to change their rules for another company's customer?.

I see Dean as being stuck in a small area as he wants the comfort of a wide beam, but from his chosen mooring he doesn't have a great choise of cruising area.

I think the chances of Peel changing their policy to accomodate him are fairly small

I don't usually get involved with these discussions, but, Dean is a customer of CaRT who wishes to cruise on a privately owned canal, but not comply with the reciprical arrangements as they stand. Why should this private company want to change their rules for another company's customer?.

For clarity, my position, and I think also an option Dean and others in a similar situation would be keen on, is to remove the requirement that to hold an annual (full) Bridgewater licence, you need to have a mooring on the Bridgewater. Fair enough if they want to insist on people having moorings, but there are adjoining canals where a valid mooring could be located so satisfy the "need a mooring" rule. The incentive to change the rules, from Peel Holdings' point of view, is they'd receive extra revenue via the licence. Dean (and others') boats would effectively be dual licenced just like Claymoore Narrowboats are dual licenced (they hold both full Bridgewater and full CRT licences - but critically their home mooring is on the Bridgewater - and CRT have no problems with that).

I see Dean as being stuck in a small area as he wants the comfort of a wide beam, but from his chosen mooring he doesn't have a great choise of cruising area.

I think the chances of Peel changing their policy to accomodate him are fairly small

I think they are nil, especially as he is now on their radar for breaking their rules when he does visit their waters.

but obviously you are non-compliant

ahem...I would be non compliant if I was on the Bridgewater canal, but I'm not.

I completely agree. All I'm trying to get to grips with is...

1. Can you buy multiple short term permits.... (the enforcer guy told me you cant.)

2. Are their such things as 1 month licences. (I've sent a mail to Peel and awaiting an answer later today)

3. Are the Castlefield moorings available yet or not. I was told yes, for £240/mth, but other boats in Castlefield are paying nothing, and not getting moved on

4. Can I buy a leisure mooring for my boat - sent a mail 3 days ago, and no response yet...I have a possible unused one available

5. Lastly, I do think that building a 40berth marina at the top of the Rochdale, and not allowing those boats onto the Bridgewater..or at least some sort of discount, is just plain mean, and there's no reason for it.

smile.png

I think they are nil, especially as he is now on their radar for breaking their rules when he does visit their waters.

In comparison to other boats who have moored in Castlefield for years, for free without a Bridgewater licence, my little 5 days over (4 days which were moored outside Trafford centre trying to arrange a meeting with Peel) does not make me a rule breaker....I wouldn't have thought. I think the enforcement officer saw my boat as a liveaboard (lots of solar panels etc) and decided I was definately not the TYPE they want settling in on their canal....;-)

and lastly, it seems I cant have 5 mins on the soapbox on Thursday, as they only allow 4 speakers, and they're booked up...Unless one of those folk are a widebeam owner at New Islington with no where to cruise...my case is a dead duck ..:))

Edited by DeanS

5. Lastly, I do think that building a 40berth marina at the top of the Rochdale, and not allowing those boats onto the Bridgewater..or at least some sort of discount, is just plain mean, and there's no reason for it.

Have you taken that up with whoever built the marina, Dean? It seems like a big flaw in their business plan

Richard

As a visiting boat to Manchester I would be less than happy if they start letting moorings out at Castlefield....it can be hard enough to moor there on a good day....it doesn't need help to fill it up!.....better enforcement of the boats that seem to doss around there might be a good start!

Cheers

Gareth

The enforcement officer told me 7 day permits have always been available but they are now giving 1 month licences as well, that should say selling lol

Edited by exfire

I think the enforcement officer saw my boat as a liveaboard

I think the enforcement officer saw a highly distinctive, purple widebeam and thought 'Dear God, there's no way I can ignore that'. I suspect that a less conspicuous boat would attract less attention - one anonymous green narrowboat looks much like another

Richard

smile.png

Probably nobody thought about it beforehand. You seem to be expecting special provision for a select band of people.

Oh, it's nowhere near the top of the Rochdale.

Have you taken that up with whoever built the marina, Dean? It seems like a big flaw in their business plan

Richard

I think you might stand more chance of success approaching your marina than Peel, unless you can somehow persuade Mr Whittaker that there is money in it for him wink.png

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Looks like I'll have to consider moving my boat to somewhere else.........or buy myself a small narrowboat project so I can cruise it round and round the Cheshire ring as a CC-er boat.......I can see the future....Bridgewater enforcement running behind me, AND CRT enforcement as well.........bliss.

As an alternative, is there any scope for NIM to become more secure? It isn't normal for marinas to have unfettered public access and clearly it is causing problems. If it's a council undertaking perhaps there is scope to get a pressure group together to have a rethink on the entire structure?

Moving the boat makes most sense. First and most important consideration is the place you live. That marina looks like a bad place to live with all the drugs etc. So that is your first priority because you know it won,t change. Second be nice to cruise away from home without the hassle of extra licence.

Forget a second boat because the home mooring will be the same and you might return from your narrowboat cruise to find your boat damaged or burnt.

Save your money to relocate suely you can see its the most sensible option.