Enforcement on the Bridgewater

DeanS

Featured Posts

I cannot believe the flack you're getting Dean, just because you write a helpful post letting people know that Peel Holdings have increased there enforcement.

This forum does make me chuckle sometimes.

Good luck with you plans & the "shout-out" is a good idea :-).

Cheers, Brian

• Greenie 2

I cannot believe the flack you're getting Dean, just because you write a helpful post letting people know that Peel Holdings have increased there enforcement.

This forum does make me chuckle sometimes.

Good luck with you plans & the "shout-out" is a good idea :-).

Cheers, Brian

LOL...I know...very amusing sometimes...;-) ....that Weaver idea is looking more and more enticing .;-)

But I thought it did not matter every time he leaves the marina the clock is reset

I wander if the boat has to go back to the marina or just me....I'm there nearly every day doing all sorts....just without the boat...LOL

LOL...I know...very amusing sometimes...;-) ....that Weaver idea is looking more and more enticing .;-)

I wander if the boat has to go back to the marina or just me....I'm there nearly every day doing all sorts....just without the boat...LOL

Don't you have to do battle with Peel to get there as well?

Don't you have to do battle with Peel to get there as well?

If I decide to leave my CRT marina, and move out of Manchester, there are all sorts of solutions. The only reason the current issue affects me, is because I'm a CRT boater . with a CRT residential mooring, at the wrong end of the flight of locks.

If I decide to leave my CRT marina, and move out of Manchester, there are all sorts of solutions. The only reason the current issue affects me, is because I'm a CRT boater . with a CRT residential mooring, at the wrong end of the flight of locks.

Is your marina at the other end of the 9 from BW if so what's in the other direction away from the 9?

Obviously the Ashton and the Rochdale, is there nowhere nice up the Rochdale to cruise to?

Dean, just wondering if anyone has thought of "strong arm" tactics with the scum brigade. A baseball bat can be a real persuader. Someone rocking a boat could accidently fall in the water.

Bob

Dean, just wondering if anyone has thought of "strong arm" tactics with the scum brigade. A baseball bat can be a real persuader. Someone rocking a boat could accidently fall in the water.

Bob

The number that seem to get fished out there already would anyone notice? Remember once you start that you have to watch your back 24/7 and the powers to be will not officially be on your side

Is your marina at the other end of the 9 from BW if so what's in the other direction away from the 9?

Obviously the Ashton and the Rochdale, is there nowhere nice up the Rochdale to cruise to?

I said to a fellow boater today...my wifes got a weeks leave, so I'm thinking of heading up past Oldham...on the Rochdale...bit of a discovery cruise....he says...."wouldn't leave my boat alone round there...."

I've always considered the area between Rochdale and Manchester an area you wouldnt leave your wife and kids on a towpath alone at night, while I'm off to work etc. ...whereas on the Bridgewater/Castlefield/Trafford/Sale/Worsley....it seems to be ok.....and one of the reasons that's where I need to cruise......apparently above Rochdale it's beautiful.....(I remember coming over the summit...lovely).....so perhaps when I buy a car, my reliance on the Bridgewater might fade away....I'm also keen to buy a 40ft narrowboat, and keep it moving around the Cheshire ring permanently, every weekend.....and use it as the cruising boat, while the widebeam stays at home base...

Edited by DeanS

I said to a fellow boater today...my wifes got a weeks leave, so I'm thinking of heading up past Oldham...on the Rochdale...bit of a discovery cruise....he says...."wouldn't leave my boat alone round there...."

I've always considered the area between Rochdale and Manchester an area you wouldnt leave your wife and kids on a towpath alone at night, while I'm off to work etc. ...whereas on the Bridgewater/Castlefield/Trafford/Sale/Worsley....it seems to be ok.....and one of the reasons that's where I need to cruise......apparently above Rochdale it's beautiful.....(I remember coming over the summit...lovely).....so perhaps when I buy a car, my reliance on the Bridgewater might fade away....I'm also keen to buy a 40ft narrowboat, and keep it moving around the Cheshire ring permanently, every weekend.....and use it as the cruising boat, while the widebeam stays at home base...

Wouldn't running a car be more expensive than buying a BW licence for the summer?

Wouldn't running a car be more expensive than buying a BW licence for the summer?

I was about to say that he already has a BW licence, it's a Bridgewater licence that he wants..

Please, please, don't use BW as an abbreviation for Bridgewater!

Tim

Bob

Getting heavy with the local "needle" community can be a slippery slope. There's always one or two who will go out of their way to defend their reputation as the tough guy, you're likely to attract more trouble as they exercise their "need" to reinforce their reputation as the local hard man. Losing face could be as damaging to them in their screwed-up little world as losing your boat would be to you!

Don't use a baseball bat or any form of dedicated weapon at all if you've any sense, if you find yourself going down this path use a heavy mooring pin, big maglite or windlass because you can claim to have instant-armed in the face of a perceived threat rather than having carried out a premeditated assault with the deadly weapon of your choice! Certainly don't use anything with a blade (eg a spade) or you might find yourself doing mandatory jail time as a result of "zero tolerance".

After my experiences on the Rochdale I'm taken with the idea of using a high pressure pump and fire hose to repel the local troublemakers, I'm still undecided if that should be pumping canal water or toilet tank!

• Greenie 1

..I'm also keen to buy a 40ft narrowboat, and keep it moving around the Cheshire ring permanently, every weekend.....and use it as the cruising boat, while the widebeam stays at home base...

From 1997-2002 we had a second boat one lived on its moorings, the other had no home mooring and we covered just about the whole system just at weekends. Sometimes took winter mooring sometimes not. Meant some long drives in two cars on a Friday night and Sunday evening, longest was London to Northwich via Audlem.

So if you get another boat don't limit yourself to the Chesire ring there is lots more out there.

Also join an AWCC affiliated club it will enable you to leave your boat at other AWCC clubs for up to 2 weeks for free.

Edited by Loddon

From 1997-2002 we had a second boat one lived on its moorings, the other had no home mooring and we covered just about the whole system just at weekends. Sometimes took winter mooring sometimes not. Meant some long drives in two cars on a Friday night and Sunday evening, longest was London to Northwich via Audlem.

So if you get another boat don't limit yourself to the Chesire ring there is lots more out there.

Also join an AWCC affiliated club it will enable you to leave your boat at other AWCC clubs for up to 2 weeks for free.

Yep, a second boat is definately in the plans.. and it would make sense to have it on a leisure mooring on the Bridgewater...and leave the widebeam on CRT waters/marina ....and do the Macclesfield..Peak......Bridgewater.....stunning cruising areas.....

ok, so my thoughts were correct. Avoid the lower reaches of the Rochdale into Manchester :)

I don't do violence of any sort...if the area is violent, I don't stay there.

Dean I have done it a couple of times and found it no problem I moored for 3 days above the locks and the natives were very friendly

ok, so my thoughts were correct. Avoid the lower reaches of the Rochdale into Manchester smile.png

I don't do violence of any sort...if the area is violent, I don't stay there.

It's nice everywhere above Lock 64, only really nasty up to a mile or two above Failsworth. At Lock 68 we had thieves on the roof, at Tesco in Failsworth we had idiots shooting at us, at Lock 64 we had nice local man welcoming us, complaining that they don't get enough boats through despite locally sponsored attempts to beautify the area, and complaining that CRT had restricted their clean-up efforts.

Quick trip down the weed hatch in Lock 65 as the boat wanted to go sideways instead of forwards.

http://i.imgur.com/KuPIy73.jpg

yes all that really did come off our prop!

The number that seem to get fished out there already would anyone notice? Remember once you start that you have to watch your back 24/7 and the powers to be will not officially be on your side

In deed. Quiet approval by the 'powers that be' of you keeping scumbags on the move soon turns to the 'powers that be' climbing on your back to protect theirs when (not if!) a complaint is made. I won't explain how I know.

Thank's for starting this thread DeanS. I have an eye on a boat in your area and the info has been very usefull.

Thank's for starting this thread DeanS. I have an eye on a boat in your area and the info has been very usefull.

as long as the boat you are "watching" isn't mine :)

It's nice everywhere above Lock 64, only really nasty up to a mile or two above Failsworth. At Lock 68 we had thieves on the roof, at Tesco in Failsworth we had idiots shooting at us, at Lock 64 we had nice local man welcoming us, complaining that they don't get enough boats through despite locally sponsored attempts to beautify the area, and complaining that CRT had restricted their clean-up efforts.

Quick trip down the weed hatch in Lock 65 as the boat wanted to go sideways instead of forwards.

http://i.imgur.com/KuPIy73.jpg

yes all that really did come off our prop!

Anyone know if there are easy bus links from near lock 63 and above into Manchester....a MegaRider Stagecoach bus pass is my friend....

The new T&Cs expect me to return to my mooring often if I'm cruising a small area, however, to get back to my mooring I have to do the Rochdale 9...so I dont. (I'm moored at the bottom of the 9 now). Unfortunately I can't go lower than the Rochdale 9 because it's BW water and they'll slap me with a £250 fine after 3 previous warnings (due to me being 5 days over). So I'm currently enjoying the smell of Dukes 92 restaurant, and wondering where I'm going to / can afford to/ cruise next.....don't fancy above Ancoats......most boats coming down the summit side to Manchester hop through all of that section pretty sharpish...so I'm not considering that my long term "cruising area".

Gotya its a bit of a bugger to say the least. Jayne loves doing manual locks so we go up sheffield every couple of months which is 14-15 locks and a mornings work if all goes well. I dont know anyway out for you other than an area change with better cruising conditions, I get fed up of doing the same area so hopefully as long as the business is sold its CCing for me 6-7 months of the year and then France or a sailing boat and the Med icecream.gif

Peter

I've moored in Rochdale. Few rough looking people about but most are ok if you speak to them and don't turn your nose up. Don't leave stuff out or unlocked to be stolen and its fine.

sounds just the place to be ;-)

Rose of Lancaster and upwards felt completely safe to us with good rail connections. We had no trouble below there but there were shady deals going on in the shadows and the odd person we talked to were not right, I would not stop anywhere downstream of the Rose of Lancaster. Above there bits of Rochdale seem very deprived but the people we chatted to did not have derelict minds, they were decent folk, we moored there with no trouble and had no worries about leaving a car there for a few days. Talking to the Red Bull Office I got the impression that it is completely safe everywhere except below the Rose of Lancaster.

I have to say it looks really tight for a widebeam, there are widebeams and all sorts at Hebden Bridge but they probably came up from the east. if you don't know anyone who has done it then I would suggest asking CRT for assistance as they still offer that service as far as the top of the Manchester flight (at least that is how far they went with a single hander we talked to the other day). Going further is really worthwhile apart from probably the train fare but you need to get the floating pontoon moved just below Rochdale. Thinking about it do go further, it is stunning

Thanks for the information, we were considering coming down onto the Bridgewater for a week at the end of the month, but want to be in Worsley for a wedding mid July; so it looks as though our plans are going to have to change now.