Enforcement on the Bridgewater

DeanS

Featured Posts

?..but the lifestyle, location and boat you have chosen do not add up for a carefree life.

I'm not sure anyone ever achieves a carefree life. I've not met Dean but I admire his enthusiasm in trying to balance his and his families life. It's might not be easy but I'm guessing they are enjoying a lot if it despite the issues. Dean?

• Greenie 2

I'm not sure anyone ever achieves a carefree life. I've not met Dean but I admire his enthusiasm in trying to balance his and his families life. It's might not be easy but I'm guessing they are enjoying a lot if it despite the issues. Dean?

To be honest, family life has far more other challenges to it, than...this small issue...which of course becomes a big issue when it's on a forum thread. Sorry Gazza for the "mate" comment...it was knee jerk. The purpose of this thread...I've said a few times, is not to have a woe is me party, but to let people know how enforcement on the Bridgewater has changed...and interestingly a few other boaters have posted confirming this (I thought they were only after the big purple boat, but it's nice to know they're enforcing across the board. We all love cruising...so these changes impact us ....and as the head of my lovely family, it's also my job to stand up to Peel, the council, and CRT and say,,,,,"have you thought this through properly..."....."why hurt good boaters".....because you are trying to snuff out PTakers .

To be honest, family life has far more other challenges to it, than...this small issue...which of course becomes a big issue when it's on a forum thread. Sorry Gazza for the "mate" comment...it was knee jerk. The purpose of this thread...I've said a few times, is not to have a woe is me party, but to let people know how enforcement on the Bridgewater has changed...and interestingly a few other boaters have posted confirming this (I thought they were only after the big purple boat, but it's nice to know they're enforcing across the board. We all love cruising...so these changes impact us ....and as the head of my lovely family, it's also my job to stand up to Peel, the council, and CRT and say,,,,,"have you thought this through properly..."....."why hurt good boaters".....because you are trying to snuff out PTakers .

No worries Dean, it can't be easy.

For the record I meant no offense at all, shame another poster decided to be offended on your behalf.

No worries Dean, it can't be easy.

For the record I meant no offense at all, shame another poster decided to be offended on your behalf.

I will get offended by anyone who brings someone's ability as a husband or father into a thread where someone is simply highlighting the problems of cruising and using their boat for the purpose it was intended to enjoy life. Edited by cotswoldsman

.... stand up to Peel, the council, and CRT and say,,,,,"have you thought this through properly..."....."why hurt good boaters".....because you are trying to snuff out PTakers .

I think this sentence sums up my feelings very well. Whether you've got a home mooring, or a CC'er, we've all been affected adversely by over policing and fear tactics where CRT are using a few P takers as the excuse. Not to mention the funds they are wasting in the process.

I will get offended by anyone who brings someone's ability as a husband or father into a thread where someone is simply highlighting the problems of cruising and using their boat for the purpose it was intended to enjoy life.

Read it again I MEANT NO OFFENSE AT ALL.

You ever thought about doing jigsaws? Its usually a solitary pursuit but I understand it can give hours of enjoyment. It would save a bit of wear and tear on your keyboard....

Read it again I MEANT NO OFFENSE AT ALL.

You ever thought about doing jigsaws? Its usually a solitary pursuit but I understand it can give hours of enjoyment. It would save a bit of wear and tear on your keyboard....

So now you want to turn it onto me because I live on my own. Don't worry I have plenty to do that dies not include making personal remarks

chill chaps..please...very close to derailing a nice thread :)

What a pity you cannot do that with Peel Holdings, for all our sakes.

I fancied a theatre trip (Ghost Train at the Exchange) but no availability until after our 72 hours is up.

Still, I save £50 on tickets

Rog

If i understand it, Dean's situation is almost unique in that he has a residential mooring where he wants it, but it's almost unendurable in summer when the yobs come out because of vandalism and other problems. So he wants to cruise about a bit, but not too far as he still needs to get to work etc. And, in addition, is limited because of living on a wide-beam. If CRT have any sense, then will see that his is a "one-off" and accept a reasonable compromise.

But the purpose of this thread, as he keeps plaintively reminding us, is that the new enforcement regime on the Bridgewater affects all of us, including leisure boaters like me who like pottering up to Lymm or Sale for a few days to visit the folk clubs, and then pottering home again - which I will no longer be able to do without incurring penalties. It makes the Bridgewater purely a transit ditch, which is a shame. 7 days is really not very long - maybe CRT could negotiate this up to 14 which would be better all round.

If i understand it, Dean's situation is almost unique in that he has a residential mooring where he wants it, but it's almost unendurable in summer when the yobs come out because of vandalism and other problems. So he wants to cruise about a bit, but not too far as he still needs to get to work etc. And, in addition, is limited because of living on a wide-beam. If CRT have any sense, then will see that his is a "one-off" and accept a reasonable compromise.

But the purpose of this thread, as he keeps plaintively reminding us, is that the new enforcement regime on the Bridgewater affects all of us, including leisure boaters like me who like pottering up to Lymm or Sale for a few days to visit the folk clubs, and then pottering home again - which I will no longer be able to do without incurring penalties. It makes the Bridgewater purely a transit ditch, which is a shame. 7 days is really not very long - maybe CRT could negotiate this up to 14 which would be better all round.

But you can still do it - you just have to pay now.

Yes exactly. At the end of the day it is a privately owned canal. At present if you have a CRT licence you can use the canal without paying anything towards the maintance. Peel Holdings have a duty to ensure that those that pay for a licence have a hassle free experience and that is helped by keeping down the number of boats using it, seems fairly simple to me.

Yes, but the amount you pay compared to a moorer on the Bridgewater is about 4 times as much ..or more......so if you want to do a month, or 6, it's beyond what most would be able to pay....so in my mind building a 40berth marina in Manchester and then not letting them get some deal with the Bridgewater, is unfair. (but so is life sometimes...before someone says it..lol)

Yes exactly. At the end of the day it is a privately owned canal. At present if you have a CRT licence you can use the canal without paying anything towards the maintance. Peel Holdings have a duty to ensure that those that pay for a licence have a hassle free experience and that is helped by keeping down the number of boats using it, seems fairly simple to me.

Good points,

What's the incentive to keep down the number of boats? Apart from a handful of hotspots (possibly just one - Castlefields) there is no pressure on moorings, and there are no locks so no queueing at locks on busy days. I'd have thought the "capacity" of the canal was many times more than the current number of boats using it in terms of use. Private moorings may be an issue on the Bridgewater itself but the OP doesn't have one of these so that's a non-issue.

What's the incentive to keep down the number of boats? Apart from a handful of hotspots (possibly just one - Castlefields) there is no pressure on moorings, and there are no locks so no queueing at locks on busy days. I'd have thought the "capacity" of the canal was many times more than the current number of boats using it in terms of use. Private moorings may be an issue on the Bridgewater itself but the OP doesn't have one of these so that's a non-issue.

The incentive is the fact that Peel own the canal and can do as they please. I know a lot of boaters that moor on the Bridgewater and they like it the way it is and they are the only ones Peel have to answer to. I like the Bridgewater and and have spent many weeks on there and I like it not to busy great and we'll maintained towpaths etc.

Me too, though my sister lived in Manchester for many years so I know both places and I reckon Manchester is by far the more desirable place to live.

I had a delivery business in manchester and live most of the time in Rotherham and neither are desirable to me in Chesterfield at the moment and its a far nicer place clapping.gif

Peter

Peel are primarily a property company, does anyone seriously expect them to care about boaters from other canals and their wishes.

Over the years they have made it as difficult as possible for leisure boaters to navigate the ship canal this is just an extension of that attitude.

In fairness as its a privately owned canal they can do what they like.

Edited by Loddon

I had a delivery business in manchester and live most of the time in Rotherham and neither are desirable to me in Chesterfield at the moment and its a far nicer place clapping.gif

Peter

Well the Lowry does put on world class performances and for that reason alone Manchester gets my vote. Ooops just remembered it is in Salford

Peel are primarily a property company, does anyone seriously expect them to care about boaters from other canals and their wishes.

Over the years they have made it as difficult as possible for leisure boaters to navigate the ship canal this is just an extension of that attitude.

In fairness as its a privately owned canal they can do what they like.

Yes you are correct but in all fairness they did pump a few million into the Liverpool Link and have created a lot of employment in and arround Salford

I'm willing to bet that when I chip up to castlefield in a few days some of the boats there wil be the same ones that were there on all my previous visits both by foot and by boat over the last few years....I don't know if they have mooring rights there but I suspect not somehow.....

Cheers

Gareth

I think the point is Dean wants to go on to the bridge water periodically to avoid CRT objecting to him cruising a relatively small area when away from his mooring.

His problem is he wants to visit the Bridgewater more often than they want him to!

But I thought it did not matter every time he leaves the marina the clock is reset under the new rules. I think after reading the thread is that the CRT area he can cruise is problematic and he does not want to leave his boat there which is what I found when I cruised the area a few years ago

Peter

Well the Lowry does put on world class performances and for that reason alone Manchester gets my vote. Ooops just remembered it is in Salford

Yes you are correct but in all fairness they did pump a few million into the Liverpool Link and have created a lot of employment in and arround Salford

When you consider the main shareholder (75%) is worth an estimated £2.3billion a few million is a mere pitrance

But I thought it did not matter every time he leaves the marina the clock is reset under the new rules. I think after reading the thread is that the CRT area he can cruise is problematic and he does not want to leave his boat there which is what I found when I cruised the area a few years ago

Peter

The new T&Cs expect me to return to my mooring often if I'm cruising a small area, however, to get back to my mooring I have to do the Rochdale 9...so I dont. (I'm moored at the bottom of the 9 now). Unfortunately I can't go lower than the Rochdale 9 because it's BW water and they'll slap me with a £250 fine after 3 previous warnings (due to me being 5 days over). So I'm currently enjoying the smell of Dukes 92 restaurant, and wondering where I'm going to / can afford to/ cruise next.....don't fancy above Ancoats......most boats coming down the summit side to Manchester hop through all of that section pretty sharpish...so I'm not considering that my long term "cruising area".