Dangerous obstruction, Stratford Canal

dunfixing

Featured Posts

I've just seen the picture of the Sculpture installed on the edge of lock 31 on the Stratford Canal.

It is a life size statue of a man by Antony Gormley, only inches from the waters edge.

This must surely be an accident waiting to happen.

Sorry can't include a photo. There is one in the July edition of Canal Boat magazine.

This topic was aired some time ago and I complained that it was potentially dangerous - only to be roundly 'attacked' by others on these fora.

I felt it could be easily tipped into the canal - then another replied showing details of the fixings - which are quite substantial, so round 1 to the 'others'

It was pointed out elsewhere - an interview on BBC radio by Mr. Gormley said it was where it was 'because of the light'.

It's only there for a few months and I'm becoming to quite like it - if you like A.G's work, that is.

Anything to increase the profile of the canals is a Good Thing in my mind.

This topic was aired some time ago and I complained that it was potentially dangerous - only to be roundly 'attacked' by others on these fora.

I felt it could be easily tipped into the canal - then another replied showing details of the fixings - which are quite substantial, so round 1 to the 'others'

It was pointed out elsewhere - an interview on BBC radio by Mr. Gormley said it was where it was 'because of the light'.

It's only there for a few months and I'm becoming to quite like it - if you like A.G's work, that is.

Anything to increase the profile of the canals is a Good Thing in my mind.

Why?

The cut is crowded enough already in my opinion. Do you/we really want more boaters, walkers, cyclists, anglers, etc filling it up even more? If so, why would you want this? Serious question.

MtB

I am whole-heartedly against it and the general trend to contaminate everything with arty-farty bits & pieces. The beauty of the canal system is in part the simple functional order of an old industrial system, it does not need this additional non-functional material.

The same goes for some walks where you go to see unmessed with nature at its best, only now it is cluttered with poetry carved in the rocks and such like.

The same goes for carving poetry on lock gates. It is vandalism, even if orchestrated by institutions and with the highest motives.

I am whole-heartedly against it and the general trend to contaminate everything with arty-farty bits & pieces. The beauty of the canal system is in part the simple functional order of an old industrial system, it does not need this additional non-functional material.

The same goes for some walks where you go to see unmessed with nature at its best, only now it is cluttered with poetry carved in the rocks and such like.

The same goes for carving poetry on lock gates. It is vandalism, even if orchestrated by institutions and with the highest motives.

You must be fun at parties.

• Greenie 4

I take art as I find it, sometimes it's a waste of space sometimes, as this piece, it enhances an area but I can't let this bit go about nature being unmessed with.

there is no where in this country where nature hasn't been managed in some way, everywhere has been messed with in some way, what we in this country consider as natural is a tightly managed landscape

Blimey, I like public art myself, statues, poetry carved in lock gates, artistic graffiti. As for non-functional material cluttering up the simple functional order of an old industrial system, that must include almost every boat on the system. After all, how many boats are using the system to transport goods around the country?

I take art as I find it, sometimes it's a waste of space sometimes, as this piece, it enhances an area but I can't let this bit go about nature being unmessed with.

there is no where in this country where nature hasn't been managed in some way, everywhere has been messed with in some way, what we in this country consider as natural is a tightly managed landscape

Exactly. Even this lock already has a lock cottage next to it, and a road over a bridge at the tail, so it's hardly a natural landscape. And I'd much rather a piece of Gormley art at a lock, than the huge great M40 bridge which thunders over the lock a few locks back.

Personally I like public art.

Here's our award-winning roundabout in Tewkesbury. Brilliant isn't it?

I rather like that too and the statue by the lock. It looks good to me and conveys a living being it looks like it is about to move away and is taking one last look.

I am rather interested in the old car that is in the background of your photo too. I wonder if it is a Rover I am not sure at the moment.

Edited by churchward