Lock bollards by Antony Gormley

DJW

Featured Posts

I quite like it..and i don't see it as obstruction, hopefully it will avoid being vandalised but I doubt that something as noticeable as that will be safe from some members of our society.

If you read the article linked to in the first post, you'll see that the sculptures were commissioned by the Landmark Trust to mark their 50th anniversary. All five statues are by Landmark Trust properties -- in this case the lock cottage.

I can't believe how negative people are being about this. Anthony Gormley is without doubt one of our greatest living artists, and it should be welcomed that he's chosen a waterways location for one of his pieces of work. Apart from anything else, it will attract visitors who may just discover the joys of the canals while they're there.

And talk of putting a rope around it and pulling it over -- that's vandalism, which boaters should generally be against, I'd have thought. A pretty bad idea to encourage people to damage stuff, especially around locks, whatever it is.

Good post which sums up in a much better way what I posted last night but removed as I didn't think it was worth the effort..

Gormley is a respected artist, particularly up north where he is generally well regarded because of his work to create the angel of the north at Gateshead. When you compare his work to some other so called modern artists he stands out by a country mile.

Ex to remove a bit which you'd covered already

Edited by MJG

And talk of putting a rope around it and pulling it over -- that's vandalism, which boaters should generally be against, I'd have thought. A pretty bad idea to encourage people to damage stuff, especially around locks, whatever it is.

I completely agree. The stink of hypocrisy once again rises on this forum.

Suddenly it's fine to vandalise what one doesn't agree with.

Can I ask these people whether they consider it OK to vandalise CRT signage that one disagrees with?

I can't believe how negative people are being about this. Anthony Gormley is without doubt one of our greatest living artists,

It's a striking sculpture. But it is too near to the lock's edge. If they moved it back three feet, I'm sure everyone would be positive about it.

I completely agree. The stink of hypocrisy once again rises on this forum.

Suddenly it's fine to vandalise what one doesn't agree with.

Suddenly it's not fine to make a joke?

It's a striking sculpture. But it is too near to the lock's edge. If they moved it back three feet, I'm sure everyone would be positive about it.

But if it was moved back three feet, it would no longer be looking into the lock. "Man staring at daisy" doesn't have quite the same effect.

It's great peeps, stop stressing.

MP.

BTW, we talked about this already here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75964

Edited by MoominPapa

But if it was moved back three feet, it would no longer be looking into the lock. "Man staring at daisy" doesn't have quite the same effect.

MP.

Daisy told me that she found it quite flattering.

I like it.

It makes everybody Happy! Those who like art are Happy. Those who are never Happy unless they are miserable and grumbling have something to grumble and be miserable about, so they are Happy too!

• Greenie 1

IMG_10142_zpsfanoj1my.jpg

We arrived the morining after they placed the statue. It is well anchored so no danger of it being pulled over.

I must say I like it and with it being on the off-side I think it is not a great obstacle for boaters.

Helen

Thanks for that - yes, the installation looks a lot more solid. It's good to have something to - perhaps- raise the profile of the canal system and the Stratford gets a lot of visitors (?).

I was interested in what you were wearing as your Ensign? Doesn't look like 'anything Dutch'?.

So what is it, please?

I like to see folks wearing / flying any sort of colours (other than 'bones'). They make a conversation piece - if anyone can be bothered (to start one).

Edit:

Could the ensign be Zeeland?

Edited by OldGoat

Edit:

Could the ensign be Zeeland?

Well spotted, Sir! It is indeed Zeeland.

We (Dutch couple) fly the flag of the Dutch province of Zeeland as we live in its capital, Middelburg.

We often get asked what the flag is and are happy to explain. It always amazes us to hear that so many English people have acgtually been in our home town, often visiting with sailing boats.

Helen

Well spotted, Sir! It is indeed Zeeland.

We (Dutch couple) fly the flag of the Dutch province of Zeeland as we live in its capital, Middelburg.

We often get asked what the flag is and are happy to explain. It always amazes us to hear that so many English people have acgtually been in our home town, often visiting with sailing boats.

Helen

There you are - started a conversation!

I had to look it up (cheat). Originally I thought it might be British Indian Ocean - only 'cos I have one, but the BIO has wavy blue lines.

Not been to Midelburg but I have been to Arnhem for a friend's wedding and in memory of 'Johnny Frost' who held the bridge until his ammunition ran out.

I can't abide spoiling natural beauty spots with modern art, and why is it always rusty metal ?

Antony Gormless is only a great artist in the minority that like modern art. Many people hate it. I like the form and function of a lock, apparently Gormless thinks its not good enough and needs a heap of Corten steel stuck on it. I like motorhead, but I don't inflict it on anyone else.

Who gave artists the right to blight everyone else's life with this junk ?

If you like it have in your garden, I don't want to see it.

Rant over.

Edited by onionbargee
  • Greenie 2

To me a lot of Gormley's work epitomises "municipal art" so it doesn't do much for me, but if it makes people stop and look then I think that's ok even if they don't particularly like it.

If some people on this forum had their way and nobody tried anything different, our world would be very grey, drab and utilitarian.

I could understand the negativity if these sculptures were popping up at every lock, but it's only one lock so let's keep things in perspective.

Edited by blackrose

I can't abide spoiling natural beauty spots with modern art, and why is it always rusty metal ?

I'm obviously not going to change your mind, but just to point out that:

- that's what they probably said about cave paintings and the White Horse at Uffingham.

- a canal is not a 'natural' beauty spot. It's man-made, like many of our 'natural' beauty spots.

- it's not always rusty metal e.g The Kelpies at Falkirk.

And if one of the functions of art is to stir the emotions, then it's clearly worked in your case. As Grayson Perry says, it's like Marmite. Love it or hate it. There's nothing worse than bland, 'please everybody' art.

Edited by Québec

I haven't reached a definite conclusion myself - canals are now for leisure and within limits that includes art. As someone who both professionally and personally supports arts and music (and artists and musicians) I should applaud this, but in this instance I can't.

I'm just not comfortable with where the statue is, right on the edge of a lock. For those who say it wouldn't work if it was set back 3 feet well, Gormley would have designed a different statue if he'd been told it had to be set back that far, he will have been give the location to work with.

I might be more comfortable if I was confident in CRT's assessment procedures, especially risk assessment but also heritage assessment. Direct experience suggests they are inconsistent at best and blimmin' awful at worst - has someone really done a through analysis and said that this statue is "safe" where it is? It looks fine when there is no boat in the lock, but what when there is? Can someone get trapped between a boat and the statue? Is the clearance adequate bearing in mind that boats rock? The answer may well be no and yes but have questipons been asked?

We've seen CRT fit handrails to footbridges in a way that could decapitate boaters - I've seen them (or their predecessors) casually take a crowbar or a spade to heritage to "enhance" appearance or to make things operationally easier. They don't always, or even often make a mess of things, but they do it often enough to make me concerned that they haven't really thought this one through.

I can recall some on here being very negative about ANOTHER PLACE at Crosby beach , rubbish not worth the money , money wasted ,lumps of iron and now millions of visitors later its still popular , as pointed out we can expect some great interaction from joe public who will decorate ,/ dress this fella up in various costumes tp provide fun giggles laughter and sometimes things more serious such as a poppy wreath around the neck , to float off at high tide at Crosby , love it.

I might be more comfortable if I was confident in CRT's assessment procedures, especially risk assessment but also heritage assessment. Direct experience suggests they are inconsistent at best and blimmin' awful at worst - has someone really done a through analysis and said that this statue is "safe" where it is? It looks fine when there is no boat in the lock, but what when there is? Can someone get trapped between a boat and the statue? Is the clearance adequate bearing in mind that boats rock? The answer may well be no and yes but have questipons been asked?

I agree that a view of the figure related to a high cabined boat in a full lock would give a better idea as to whether it is sensible, from the safety angle.

Tim