Lock bollards by Antony Gormley

DJW

Featured Posts

I might be more comfortable if I was confident in CRT's assessment procedures, especially risk assessment but also heritage assessment. Direct experience suggests they are inconsistent at best and blimmin' awful at worst - has someone really done a through analysis and said that this statue is "safe" where it is? It looks fine when there is no boat in the lock, but what when there is? Can someone get trapped between a boat and the statue? Is the clearance adequate bearing in mind that boats rock? The answer may well be no and yes but have questipons been asked?

Having boated through the lock in question, past the statue in question, I can set you mind at rest on the clearances. They're more than adequate, and much greater than for the arched bridge across the tail of the lock.

MP.

The thing that bothers me about this sort of thing is I can imagine the avalanche of objection from CRT, if Magpie Patrick or I applied to put a statue on the lockside.

But when Anthony Gormley applies all objections are steamrollered out of the way, CRT being starstruck at the thought of a Gormley work on their manor.

The thing that bothers me about this sort of thing is I can imagine the avalanche of objection from CRT, if Magpie Patrick or I applied to put a statue on the lockside.

But when Anthony Gormley applies all objections are steamrollered out of the way, CRT being starstruck at the thought of a Gormley work on their manor.

To the best of my knowledge, the scores for "art works around the canal" are

A. Gormley 1

M. Boilerman 0

Others lots and lots

which suggests that Gormley doesn't have much of an insider advantage, and that you (or Patrick) are in with a chance. Go for it!

MP.

• Greenie 1

You miss my point!

If Magpie or I applied to put up the self-same statue that Mr Gormley erected, we would have our application denied. It isn't the quality of the statue that counts, its the fame of the name applying.

MtB

Gormley didn't apply. He was invited/commissioned by the Landmark Trust who own/manage the five sites involved, though no doubt CRT were involved at some stage. Whether you like or dislike the project, here's what Gormley himself writes about it...you might as well have ' informed dislike'.

http://smedmorehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/LAND-Artist-Statement.pdf

Edited by Québec

You miss my point!

If Magpie or I applied to put up the self-same statue that Mr Gormley erected, we would have our application denied. It isn't the quality of the statue that counts, its the fame of the name applying.

MtB

You can console yourself with the fact if someone wanted a boiler repaired they might call you and not Gormley

But when Anthony Gormley applies all objections are steamrollered out of the way.

I knew CART were asking for trouble when they appointed Mr. Aveling and Mr. Porter to head the locks embellishment committee.

If you read the article linked to in the first post, you'll see that the sculptures were commissioned by the Landmark Trust to mark their 50th anniversary. All five statues are by Landmark Trust properties -- in this case the lock cottage.

I can't believe how negative people are being about this. Anthony Gormley is without doubt one of our greatest living artists, and it should be welcomed that he's chosen a waterways location for one of his pieces of work. Apart from anything else, it will attract visitors who may just discover the joys of the canals while they're there.

And talk of putting a rope around it and pulling it over -- that's vandalism, which boaters should generally be against, I'd have thought. A pretty bad idea to encourage people to damage stuff, especially around locks, whatever it is.

Quite so. I like the figures and also that a canal lock was chosen as a site for one.

It is a positive image for the general public in promoting canal locations and the system in general and should be welcomed.

There are several studies over the years that show Art in any form enhances our lives and sense of well being and the absence adds to a feeling of austerity and less well being. So although I can't say I like all or any public art (I like the figures) spending money on the arts can be a good thing and worthwhile.

• Greenie 1

Gormley didn't apply. He was invited/commissioned by the Landmark Trust who own/manage the five sites involved, though no doubt CRT were involved at some stage. Whether you like or dislike the project, here's what Gormely himself writes about it...you might as well have ' informed dislike'.

http://smedmorehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/LAND-Artist-Statement.pdf

Thanks for the link, interesting reading. But page two says Mr Gormley chose the locations of his sculptures, rather supporting my point!

Maybe the Landmark Trust told him to only chose sites owned by them. My point still stands though.

I'm obviously not going to change your mind, but just to point out that:

- that's what they probably said about cave paintings and the White Horse at Uffingham.

- a canal is not a 'natural' beauty spot. It's man-made, like many of our 'natural' beauty spots.

- it's not always rusty metal e.g The Kelpies at Falkirk.

And if one of the functions of art is to stir the emotions, then it's clearly worked in your case. As Grayson Perry says, it's like Marmite. Love it or hate it. There's nothing worse than bland, 'please everybody' art.

I can do a dirty protest at any lock that will stir emotions, doesnt make it art.

I can do a dirty protest at any lock that will stir emotions, doesnt make it art.

Oh, I don't know. If you canned it and labelled it you might get the Tate Gallery to buy it for the nation. (Though they seem to already have one they prepared earlier).

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/manzoni-artists-shit-t07667

:-)

BTW It IS fun playing 'Guess the Button'...perhaps it ought to become a regular feature.

Edited by Québec

Having boated through the lock in question, past the statue in question, I can set you mind at rest on the clearances. They're more than adequate, and much greater than for the arched bridge across the tail of the lock.

MP.

You miss my point!

MtB

These two together sort of add to my point - the statue obviously is clear of the lock but did anyone check or is this more luck than judgement. CRT have implemented a lot of works that are safe, but the odd blatantly dangerous one suggests their risk assesment leaves something to be desired.

Also,a transparent process for approval would mean that were Mike to suggest fitting a lockside boiler, or I to suggest a giant Magpie Music statue, we would be shown the hoops that Mr Gormley had to jump through and told to do the same.

edited to add - from a boating perspective looking from the bridge would be better, but if it's a road bridge I bet the local highway authority wouldn't like it!

Further edited to add - here's one that doesn't get in the way

Hedging_MMB_06_Bridgwater_and_Taunton_Ca

Edited by magpie patrick

MtB

Why not give it ago? You could make an installation out of boilers. You might become known as mike the boiler art man . Just the sort of thing the art world loves.

Ps you could undercut mr Gormley on price maybe, to get your start.

Edited by kris88

These two together sort of add to my point - the statue obviously is clear of the lock but did anyone check or is this more luck than judgement. CRT have implemented a lot of works that are safe, but the odd blatantly dangerous one suggests their risk assesment leaves something to be desired.

Also,a transparent process for approval would mean that were Mike to suggest fitting a lockside boiler, or I to suggest a giant Magpie Music statue, we would be shown the hoops that Mr Gormley had to jump through and told to do the same.

edited to add - from a boating perspective looking from the bridge would be better, but if it's a road bridge I bet the local highway authority wouldn't like it!

Further edited to add - here's one that doesn't get in the way

Hedging_MMB_06_Bridgwater_and_Taunton_Ca

That certainly is a big Edam cheese, but still an eyesore. What was wrong with the view that it needs that plonked in it ?

Course, the most interesting thing I read about Gormley is that (like Hirst) he doesn't actually make any of the stuff himself. He has people who understand things like welding, engineering and metalwork to do it for him. He just gets the big money, and they get the peanuts. And his sculptures are all based on his own body. I reckon it's Freudian. He's obvously in therapy and with this one getting closer to facing up to his urge to return to the womb ...

ETA I quite like it, though.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

Course, the most interesting thing I read about Gormley is that (like Hirst) he doesn't actually make any of the stuff himself. He has people who understand things like welding, engineering and metalwork to do it for him. He just gets the big money, and they get the peanuts. And his sculptures are all based on his own body. I reckon it's Freudian. He's obvously in therapy and with this one getting closer to facing up to his urge to return to the womb ...

ETA I quite like it, though.

I am not sure why it is thought that art must be made by the artists hand only to be more worthy or indeed why gormley is unusual in employing people to make his metalwork designs. Many artists through history have had assistants even painters have through the centuries employed trainees to fill in the background boring bits, sculptures too. Do we think all the great bronzes have all been cast by the artisist? No they have been cast by the artisans who know their craft and do it for them and get paid the going rate for the job. Gormley is no unusual in his methods. Often it is the concept the thought process that is important in creation of the artwork not always the execution of it that sets the work apart from the others.