An eventful morning.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Well, for doing only four locks today, we've sure packed it in.

At the first lock, a boat called Judd was coming up as we arrived which turned out to be fitted with a Lister FR2. These engines are rare enough that whenever two meet their owners have to have a catch up and swap war stories, which was dully done.

Then two locks down, at Lowsonford, the lock was surrounded by cameras and furry microphones and luvies. There's a new scuplture at the lockside which we saw yesterday, and which was the focus of attention. I'd had my suspicions, so called out "Is that a Gormley?" To which the answer came, "Yes, what do you think?" I said, honesty, that I though it was wonderful. Which was fortunate, as there, sheltering under the bridge, was Sir Anthony himself!

It really is rather good: made of geometric rusty steel cubes, in the signature style; it reminded me strongly of myself as a small child, worrying my mother by standing too close to the edge and looking intently into the lock chamber.

MP.

At the first lock, a boat called Judd was coming up as we arrived which turned out to be fitted with a Lister FR2. These engines are rare enough that whenever two meet their owners have to have a catch up and swap war stories, which was dully done.

Then two locks down, at Lowsonford, the lock was surrounded by cameras and furry microphones and luvies. There's a new scuplture at the lockside which we saw yesterday, and which was the focus of attention. I'd had my suspicions, so called out "Is that a Gormley?" To which the answer came, "Yes, what do you think?" I said, honesty, that I though it was wonderful. Which was fortunate, as there, sheltering under the bridge, was Sir Anthony himself!

It really is rather good: made of geometric rusty steel cubes, in the signature style; it reminded me strongly of myself as a small child, worrying my mother by standing too close to the edge and looking intently into the lock chamber.

MP.

I like Gormleys stuff, have you seen the figures on Formby beach? Well worth a visit

I like Gormleys stuff, have you seen the figures on Formby beach? Well worth a visit

One of his more unexpected works was this chap I nearly tripped over, emerging from the pavement outside the Edinburgh Gallery of Modern Art.

a9eOjYz.jpg

Bit of a senior moment there! The picture came out of an album marked 'Crosby Beach', I must have been still thinking about tree monkey's post.

Yeah sorry about the geographic slip, we visited after an attempt to try to see the Formby red squirrels, unsuccessful unfortunately but the two places are now linked in my head

One of his more unexpected works was this chap I nearly tripped over, emerging from the pavement outside the Edinburgh Gallery of Modern Art.

a9eOjYz.jpg

I thought this was a photo of somebody trying to use the Elsan facility at Stonebridge!

MP.

But who paid for it, CaRT? (us)

But who paid for it, CaRT? (us)

The Landmark Trust, I think. They own the classic barrel-roofed Stratford canal lock cottage there, and this is one of five sculptures at Landmark Trust properties, The others are all at the coast.

MP.

The Landmark Trust, I think. They own the classic barrel-roofed Stratford canal lock cottage there, and this is one of five sculptures at Landmark Trust properties, The others are all at the coast.

MP.

I think the National Trust still own it. Its just let out as a holiday cottage through the Landmark Trust.

I think the National Trust still own it. Its just let out as a holiday cottage through the Landmark Trust.

I stand corrected. Did the National Trust own the whole canal in the era when they ran it? Was it privatised with the others and then handed over to the NT, and did they hand it back when BW took control.

MP.

I wonder how long it will be before someone uses it as a bollard and damages it?

It looks pretty substantial. I doubt using it as a bollard would do it any harm. Much more solid that some of the things I've wrapped a rope around.

MP.

MP.

I have just seen a picture on Facebook, its bit of a silly place to put it.