Back to Basics

CathyC

Featured Posts

I also think the tick over rule is too specific. Should one go at tick over on a wide stretch of river if there is a boat moored quite some distance away?

Also depends on what is meant as tickover. When we bought our boat, it was set so that the lowest rate on the throttle was way too high revs - for reasons that later became apparent. At that engine speed, we were not as slow passing other boats as I would have liked. Now fixed.

smile.png

My skool boy French served me well enough to understand that.

It always seems that those who are quick to stick the boot in are never so fast to offer an apology when they get it wrong.

I did like the delicious irony in stillearnings unnecessary post though!

There is some method in me calling myself Stilllearning.

Al Murray has largely passed me by, I admit.

It is 10pm and my engine is running to charge my batteries,100' away I cannot hear it! There are some people who, maybe having a less than quiet engine, will challenge others?

On tickover (3LW, 480 rpm ~1mph) you will neither hear me nor will your boat surge back and forth. Boats may rock e.g. when canoes pass - that is what boats do!

Winter before last a hire boat was having trouble getting past my moored boat in a strong cross wind, I helped them and suggested that, whilst they had been instructed to pass moored boats at 'tickover' it was impossible in the prevailing wind.

Then again, when adequately moored to stakes in a wet winter boats with a huge breaking wash have removed my stakes complete with a chunk of the bank.

Generally, boats do slow down past my temporary mooring; my major problem is hanging on to the centre line when I am trying to moor up or leave a mooring single-handed and boats charge by without concern for the old bloke desperately hanging on to a centre line.

Alan

"Pedantic" seems to be a favourite adjective of some CWF colleagues - but I must say that I have never seen it used to describe engine speed before!

I like to be a bit creative with words from time to time, especially a word like pedantic.

my major problem is hanging on to the centre line when I am trying to moor up or leave a mooring single-handed and boats charge by without concern for the old bloke desperately hanging on to a centre line.

Absolutely. In the worst case (Southern Oxford) I chose to let go of the centre line. The boat won't go far, and I didn't want to be pulled in. The boat in question was having a nice shouted conversation bow to stern about where they would have lunch

Richard

I have no idea what we do differently to the people who are disgruntled about boats going past them to fast that it either makes them rock or pulls their pins out.

By no means would I put it down to us "mooring correctly" as we've never used springs. It's either a pin at the front & back or the goat chains if on armco (our preferred method)

In the past 9 months of mooring on both the K&A and the GU, we've yet to have it happen to us. Now I don't mean to imply that some boats don't pass us faster than most, but have yet to cause us any grief and never to the point I have felt the need to ask them to slow down.

And none have caused us to rock anywhere near as much as the bloody rowing skiffs or canoes, whatever you want to call them, that pass us in-mass having a race practice. They were a nightmare when we were moored both in Kintbury and at Leighton Buzzard, It wasn't even so much about how much they made the boat rock, what really annoyed me was them hitting the side of the boat with their oars/paddles as they went past whilst having about 15 feet between them and the offside - why do they feel the need to come so close to moored boats??? Moan over - there I feel betterblink.png

As Alan and others have said the wind will really dictate how we pass moored boats - there was a fairly strong side wind late this afternoon and we did need to go past a few moored boats faster than we normally would, with that said I think we were doing slightly over 2 mph. But then again rarely do we do much more than 2.5 mph on the canals anyway - we just cause to much wash if we do.

Sounds like a big slow revver to me: ......peDAN.............peDAN.................peDAN........

That's when it's on pedan-tic over I suppose?

Actually, in neutral ours goes WOMbat WOMbat, not sure what to make of that.

Daring to deviate from the group mind ---- as long as you make no breaking wash you can pass me as fast as you like, I am moored securely and ( shock horror) I actually enjoy the sensation of being on a boat.

I have seen hire boaters cowed by liveaboards screaming out of their side hatches when not speeding excessively and I think this is reprehensible bullying.

• Greenie 1

Daring to deviate from the group mind ---- as long as you make no breaking wash you can pass me as fast as you like, I am moored securely and ( shock horror) I actually enjoy the sensation of being on a boat.

I have seen hire boaters cowed by liveaboards screaming out of their side hatches when not speeding excessively and I think this is reprehensible bullying.

Totally agree.

I was once shouted at to slow down when I wasn't steering and was sat at the front of the boat. What the woman expected me to do about it I still don't know.

Another time we were following a boat which did pass a moored boat too fast. We were just approaching the moored boat and I'd slowed right down a few boat lengths before but the person on the boat decided to shout at me to slow down before I'd even got to them when the one responsible for making them move about was in the other direction. I put it down to them having to shout at someone but had gone to the wrong end of the boat :)

Daring, you were wonderful.

Oops, rephrase that, well put, Dave.

I always slow down past moored craft (though the 2LW seems to me to have a rather fast tickover speed). If people on the craft speak to me I like to think that they are conveying a friendly greeting, but on account of the delectable WOM-bat WOM-bat of the Gardner I generally can't hear them, so they could be calling me all the names under the sun.

That pretty impressive pace for a narrow boat!

Guessed it would be PCC, we don't go there very often..

Got to say I've been pleased with the speed the boat has been able to achieve, the 5.5 to 6.25 does mean you are kicking the engines head in to get it - so I only really did that when I was pushing to get the the next mooring before dark.

Downstream on the Ouse I had over 7, proper progress that, though it makes for a significant cycle recovery of the van!

Got to say I've been pleased with the speed the boat has been able to achieve, the 5.5 to 6.25 does mean you are kicking the engines head in to get it - so I only really did that when I was pushing to get the the next mooring before dark.

Downstream on the Ouse I had over 7, proper progress that, though it makes for a significant cycle recovery of the van!

Ah, that explains it. Had that been cruising speed it would have been mighty impressive!

No harm giving the motor a good work out now and again.

Did you enjoy the Nene? - Excepting your exchange at PCC :)

biggrin.png

I'll stick to proper British time and say "Half past two" if it's all the same to you.

smiley_offtopic.gif aha the good old Chinese dentist... ninja.gif

EDT for double posting

Edited by Dharl

Certainly on at least two occasions now I have been heavily rocked when properly moored up by passing boats that have forgotten to remove their magnetic "slow down to tickover" roundels from each end of the boat before setting off.

They were at massively more than tick-over, and didn't, I think, have hydraulic drives.

So yes, definitely, with some boaters it is very much one rule for you lot, but different rules apply to me.

Just seen a boat called Kingfisher hurtle past my mooring, proudly displaying a magnetic "slow down to tickover" sign. Poor old DQ continued to rock on his wake for ages.

I am thinking of making a note of the names of excessive speeders, and returning the compliment when I see them moored.

Oh yes they did.

I was reprimanded in my yoof by Charlie Atkins (senior) for 'leaving it a bit late' (to slow down with a trip boat), and boated with him a few times, he definitely did slow for moored boats.

Tim

Yup most of my boating was done with old boatmen and without exception they slowed down for moored boats. If someone tried to tell them to slow down further than they thought necessary however, they werent afraid to ask them to learn to tie their boats up properly.

Dear CaRT,

With the boating season upon us, I, and maybe a few other people, would be very grateful

- Please do not dump your rubbish on the towpath or at locks, as we do not collect it from there. Please keep it on your boat until you reach the next CRT rubbish facility.

Opposite Our boat last night someone decided to relieve their self of their boat ballast and lob it into the hedge. Now we have about 2 ton of paving slabs that you know in time will just end up in the water. Walk up and have a look Cathy.

Darren