Back to Basics

CathyC

Featured Posts

Thank you for displaying your ill-informed prejudices in public.

Lighten up!

Ever heard of Al Murray the Pub Landlord?

If not get yourself acquainted with his work before going all hair trigger on a post.

Where is MJG patented mobile smiley guide?

Grrr etc.

Edited by gazza
  • Greenie 1

I was doing 6mph or more and backed off to between 3 and 4 I'd guess. In future I'll be using the tie up properly reply I think.

I bet the old boys on working boats didn't used to slow down.

They didn't go at 6 mph either, most of them, not unless they'd fed their horses on more than grass. But then, I suppose they wanted the canal banks to stay intact.

They didn't go at 6 mph either, most of them, not unless they'd fed their horses on more than grass. But then, I suppose they wanted the canal banks to stay intact.

He was on a river with a limit of 7mph. I would guess 6mph upstream a little optimistic though.

Out of interest which club was it? I'm guessing Pyc (Orton) or PCC - (alwalton)

He was on a river with a limit of 7mph. I would guess 6mph upstream a little optimistic though.

Out of interest which club was it? I'm guessing Pyc (Orton) or PCC - (alwalton)

I was averaging 5.5 to 6.25 on most sections, where deep enough. I had me gps tracker jobbie running. Just paid a boat mover guy to climb all over 23 locks on Monday, his comment was that out of all the narrowboats he's driven mine was one of the fastest ones apparently. The 40 year old engine has certainly been awoken from retirement anyway!

Think it was PCC, we wondered why non of em were smiling or waving back. Everyone else has been wavy and happy when I've been passing, so I assumed the idle speed thing wasn't bothered with. Perhaps its not on rivers but on the boring muddy still canals it's more commonly adhered to...

I was averaging 5.5 to 6.25 on most sections, where deep enough. I had me gps tracker jobbie running. Just paid a boat mover guy to climb all over 23 locks on Monday, his comment was that out of all the narrowboats he's driven mine was one of the fastest ones apparently. The 40 year old engine has certainly been awoken from retirement anyway!

Think it was PCC, we wondered why non of em were smiling or waving back. Everyone else has been wavy and happy when I've been passing, so I assumed the idle speed thing wasn't bothered with. Perhaps its not on rivers but on the boring muddy still canals it's more commonly adhered to...

That pretty impressive pace for a narrow boat!

Guessed it would be PCC, we don't go there very often..

Whilst I am more than happy to slow to tickover whilst passing moored boats one of the points I noticed whilst on the Kennet & Avon last year was that those who are likely to make some sarcastic remark about speed are often the same people who when they need to make their periodic shuttle to the water point/elsan will do so at a great rate of knots to try to get back before anyone pinches 'their' place. Try and challenge them on speed then and you'll get a mouthful of abuse (this is aimed at the guy who was moored on Bathampton Swing Bridge moorings).

The other point about speed is that it all rather depends upon the draught of the boat. I have seen 'yoghurt pots' go past at quite a speed without creating any significant rocking so rather than all of this 'tickover' stuff perhaps we should go back to the advice that was given to hirers on the Norfolk Broads when I first went there in the 1970's for you to 'mind your wash'. If you are making any significant wash as you pass moored boats you are probably going too fast.Before people mention about being properly moored, I will usually try to moor to chains attached to the armco but if someone goes past at speed these chains will snatch and over time will damage the armco (15 ton of boat yanking on the armco isn't going to do it much good is it?). So ignoring the stuff that may fall over inside the boat, it may actually be damaging the system.

Lighten up!

Ever heard of Al Murray the Pub Landlord?

If not get yourself acquainted with his work before going all hair trigger on a post.

Where is MJG patented mobile smiley guide?

Grrr etc.

You should have said Ireland.....no BSS, no license (just a simple one off free registration)...only place I have been burned off ...by a float plane smile.png

Know how to tie a bowline, round turn and two half hitches and rolling hitch, at the very least. Add a clove hitch if you have some more time, but if you do nothing else master the bowline knot. It can stand in for almost anything.

Know how to tie off to a cleat.

Find out what a spring is.

Double the length of two of your mooring lines to facilitate said springs.

Learn how to splice three strand rope.

And understand that if you were on open tidal water, ie anywhere at all other than a canal, anyone who can't tie their boat up properly has always been viewed as an incompetent landlubber.

Where and when did this widely accepted level of incompetence appear and come from?

• Greenie 1

"Pass on tickover" all well and good but you kinda have to do it a few boat lengths before you reach the moored boats. If you wait until you're level with the moored boat, you might as well not bother. I agree with Alan that consideration has to be given to cross winds and the like, no point in scraping along someones boat for the sake of pedantic tickover.

Surely That's what we all need, some rules, and something that can be enforced by hanging, walking the plank.

Now no excuse, it's in with your license, if of course we can have one.

Col

Surely the appropriate punishment on a canal would be keel(cooler) hauling? :)

no point in scraping along someones boat for the sake of pedantic tickover.

"Pedantic" seems to be a favourite adjective of some CWF colleagues - but I must say that I have never seen it used to describe engine speed before!

"Pedantic" seems to be a favourite adjective of some CWF colleagues - but I must say that I have never seen it used to describe engine speed before!

Sounds like a big slow revver to me: ......peDAN.............peDAN.................peDAN........

The whiners are going to whine whether you slow down or not I am starting to believe , the same whiners also think the rules they champion only apply to others and not them.

I have found this to be the case on at least a few occasions.

One woman once leaned out of the side hatch and asked if "Perhaps you'd like to come in and join us!" as we passed very close to her boat (no choice, they were moored in a narrow channel.) Then my wife came out and dealt with the situation :) Her performance was remarkable! I almost felt sorry for the ignorant person on the badly moored boat!

Vos préjugés, ils vous disent "merde". Il rigolait, le mec.

:)

My skool boy French served me well enough to understand that.

It always seems that those who are quick to stick the boot in are never so fast to offer an apology when they get it wrong.

I did like the delicious irony in stillearnings unnecessary post though!

The whiners are going to whine whether you slow down or not I am starting to believe , the same whiners also think the rules they champion only apply to others and not them.

Certainly on at least two occasions now I have been heavily rocked when properly moored up by passing boats that have forgotten to remove their magnetic "slow down to tickover" roundels from each end of the boat before setting off.

They were at massively more than tick-over, and didn't, I think, have hydraulic drives.

So yes, definitely, with some boaters it is very much one rule for you lot, but different rules apply to me.

And this now reminds me of that massive bad tempered thread from a few years back arguing interminably over what exactly 'tickover' meant!

I don;t think a consensus was ever reached, amazingly, because to me it's blindingly obvious what it means.

If you're passing me in my boat feel free to carry on at normal speed. If you were passing my house (the one on land - if I had one) and you made it rock due to passing too fast in your vehicle I'd be annoyed. But I bought a boat, boats bob about.

Some guys having a social at a white boat club over easter weekend yelled at me that I'm supposed to slow down when passing moored boats, I already had, I was doing 6mph or more and backed off to between 3 and 4 I'd guess. In future I'll be using the tie up properly reply I think.

I bet the old boys on working boats didn't used to slow down.

Oh yes they did.

I was reprimanded in my yoof by Charlie Atkins (senior) for 'leaving it a bit late' (to slow down with a trip boat), and boated with him a few times, he definitely did slow for moored boats.

Tim

• Greenie 1

And this now reminds me of that massive bad tempered thread from a few years back arguing interminably over what exactly 'tickover' meant!

I don;t think a consensus was ever reached, amazingly, because to me it's blindingly obvious what it means.

Not really, if you have a proper modern jap engine it purrs at idle, their is no "ticking"!

I used to have a great repost when yelled at for going to fast in the barge. Three seconds of full reverse, followed by "is that slow enough for you?". Their boat if not moored securely by this time would be bobbing about like a cork.

I would then drop it into forward at tickover, which is where I started from and carry on.

Works well with Fisherfolk as well but has the added advantage of stiring up all the muck from the canal bed in their swim.

BTW sold the barge 3 years ago now have a NB that swims like a fish.