drips from the mushroom vents

Pennie

Featured Posts

It will be dripping from the screw and thing it screws into due to condensation, from the bottom, you can wrap them in insulating tape. id guess once your boat has been nice and toasty for a few days, it'll dry out, and you'll get much less condensation, and it will stop. Mine only does it in freezing fog now. I also have a very annoyingly placed mushroom vent right above my head on the bed... One day I'll go and do the above and cover the metal bits..!! Till then, I put up with the occasional drip. Always little things to do, and I forget until it drips!

Do not block vent danger of CO carbon monoxide poisoning have you got smoke detectors and CO detectors in boat water collector hanging underneath is best for now .

I have been thinking something like a bobble hat on top of mushroom or some material glued to inside of mushroom.

The thing is to, when you're using hot water for anything like boiling the kettle, simmering stews, doing the washing, showering ect open windows and doors too if you want, to ventilate the boat properly, especially in the winter. A roof vent directly above your cooker is a good plan. Without plenty of ventilation precipitation takes place, just like the weather, it starts raining. In really serious cases nimbus clouds can develop near the ceiling and isolated mini thunderstorms may break out.

Hope this helps. closedeyes.gif

• Greenie 1

Definitely condensation. Cant sleep the other way round as the foot end only has space for feet. Will put a sponge on the grate to avoid more nasty surprises lol

dont worry about the condensation...in comparision with the large spider that dropped onto my head from a vent hole during spider season...condensation becomes a non issue...lol

We've also got a vent just above our bed. Particularly bad in heavy rain when it bounces up off the roof into the cap then drops down.

Similar to the paper cup idea, we've got a small shallow plastic bowl which we hook on to the grill covering the vent hole. Works a treat.

Don't block it.

In bad cases of vents raining upon you in bed a divers wet suit can be worn in loo of pajamas along with a swimmers skull cap, or cheaper still a waterproofed Onesie, these can be made waterproof by rubbing on that stuff called Messowax, the stuff you can buy to waterproof tents and awnings with. Or simply erect a tent on your bed.

Edited by bizzard

We have a small bowl hanging by chains to catch the drips. What we have found is that we never need to empty it as the water obviously evaperates during the day.

We also noticed that the condensation got less and less as we used the boat.

As others have said don't block the vent.

Presuming it is condensation, and not splash, I wouod try to glue some thin foam or other insulation to the underside of the dome.

We did this using that table insulation sheet sold by fabric sellers (Birmingham Market). Works fine for us.

Perhaps try providing some more ventilation to reduce the amount of condensation. Crack the windows open a little perhaps.

This is pretty much my approach to condensation. When I did the refit I put more vents on the roof - 8 mushrooms in total - and I've always got a window or 3 open. Combined with the fire always in during the winter I only get condensation on the metal window frames, none dripping from vents and I never have to wipe the windows down.

This is pretty much my approach to condensation. When I did the refit I put more vents on the roof - 8 mushrooms in total - and I've always got a window or 3 open. Combined with the fire always in during the winter I only get condensation on the metal window frames, none dripping from vents and I never have to wipe the windows down.

Ours as well. Whenever we are on the boat all the windows are open. The diesel heating still gets the boat to temperature.

Mushroom vents really are the work of the devil aren't they if they're not leaking they're dripping condensation I intend to replace all mine this year with ufo vents which in my experience don't cause the same problems and they let a bit of light in as well.

A couple of years ago we met a guy we knew vaguely who said he was overnighting in London the week before and got woken up in the early hours by the sound of someone on his cabin roof. He dashed out, - stark naked, - grabbed the machete he kept by the door "just for cutting the long grass" and cornered the villain who, not surprisingly, had run off screaming with fright. In a Tescos bag he had a dozen mushroom vent caps that he had obviously been filching from moored boats. For goodness' sake, what sort of idiot steals mushroom vents?

We've also got a vent just above our bed. Particularly bad in heavy rain when it bounces up off the roof into the cap then drops down.

Similar to the paper cup idea, we've got a small shallow plastic bowl which we hook on to the grill covering the vent hole. Works a treat.

Don't block it.

We have a vent over the head of our bed (on Chris,s side) and we do the same thing.

Phil

Mushroom vents really are the work of the devil aren't they if they're not leaking they're dripping condensation I intend to replace all mine this year with ufo vents which in my experience don't cause the same problems and they let a bit of light in as well.

A couple of years ago we met a guy we knew vaguely who said he was overnighting in London the week before and got woken up in the early hours by the sound of someone on his cabin roof. He dashed out, - stark naked, - grabbed the machete he kept by the door "just for cutting the long grass" and cornered the villain who, not surprisingly, had run off screaming with fright. In a Tescos bag he had a dozen mushroom vent caps that he had obviously been filching from moored boats. For goodness' sake, what sort of idiot steals mushroom vents?

When you consider the current price of scrap brass is £2000 per ton, You have your answer.

I cured it by removing mushroom cap and inserting an inverted plastic flowerpot from inside the boat, I was then able to inject aerosol foam into the gap between pot and vent. When dry I trimmed off any spare foam and replaced cap. Finished off with a walking stick rubber over the securing nut to prevent condensation forming there.

ETA: grease outside of flowerpot to enable it to be removed after foam has cured.

Edited by nb Innisfree

• 2 months later...