Anti Anglo-Welsh Rant

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Last Feb we struggled to pass over Wootton Wawen aqueduct due to masses of Anglo Welsh hire boats cluttering up the canal. Going towards Stratford it was impossible to see where the canal went and not possible to pass without pushing the boats out of the way. Coming the other way (over the aqueduct) it was not possible to exit the aqueduct without pushing the boats out of the way. I contacted Peter Reed(?) who promised he would remind AW not to block the canal. I was not that hopeful that it would make any difference however, since CRT do seem very cosy with the hire operators.

So today, we arrived at Great Haywood jn to see this:

16599120491_eb7c569781_c.jpgGreat Haywood1 by nick.norman, on Flickr

The junction roving bridge is what you can see on the left of the picture so these 4-abreast boats are moored right on the junction, making it a little difficult to wind (which is what we did) and I'm sure quite difficult to come up the S&W and turn right, in a long boat. Visibility is also hampered. Just behind these boats are the services so at best it makes it rather awkward to get in or out of them, and I am not totally clear whether they are actually moored on the services moorings (which are quite long there).

I really resent AW dumping their boats in "public space" and obstructing or at least impeding other canal users. I can't help thinking that CRT's current attack on CMers only stretches to the "little guy" whereas it should stretch to anyone abusing public space, especially when it is done solely for private profit. I liken it to the government going after the little guy who has failed to declare some work, whilst leaving the property tycoon who has never paid any tax in the last 20 years although leading a millionaire lifestyle un-prosecuted. Both are wrong, and both should be equally pursued.

Can someone remind me who is CRT's commercial boating chap for that area, is it still Peter Reed? In which case it is probably hardly worth bothering because I think he is too cosy with the commercial operators.

I also recall struggling below Bunbury staircase a few years ago, due to the canal being virtually blocked by Anglo Welch hire boats. They just don't care about anyone else.

Edited by nicknorman

I had the same problem with ashby boat co the other year....waited a bit as it was a turn around day.....after being studiously ignored for 10 mins just pushed a way through to much tutting...I did point out they were blocking the navigation but just got a shrug back. I wanted fuel but they lost my business.

Cheers

Gareth

Good afternoon Nick

They sometimes do this when they need room for craning out. Certainly not the normal view we get when driving by.

It will be more interesting during the week whilst the dredging/unloading is going on (just out of view to the right).

Regards

Steve (Eeyore)

Off to sunny Wales to get away from the rain ;-)

Good afternoon Nick

They sometimes do this when they need room for craning out. Certainly not the normal view we get when driving by.

It will be more interesting during the week whilst the dredging/unloading is going on (just out of view to the right).

Regards

Steve (Eeyore)

Off to sunny Wales to get away from the rain ;-)

Well IF it is just for a day or two I mind less, however there is no need to stack the boats right on the junction, there is plenty of space further along but Oh! No bollards there, they might have to bend down to put a piling hook in!

I've been past Great Haywood on many an occasion, and never seen that. I had some work done there too, and they are a most helpful bunch of people.

Yes I'm sure they are very nice to people who are giving them money. It's the rest of us they are inconsiderate towards.

I think there are two taps there?

They are moored on bollards so I suspect they are blocking one of the two water taps.

Still there is space to get past, Have you tried going right down into Oxford? the hire company there is really bad.

...........Dave

I had the same problem with ashby boat co the other year....waited a bit as it was a turn around day.....after being studiously ignored for 10 mins just pushed a way through to much tutting...I did point out they were blocking the navigation but just got a shrug back. I wanted fuel but they lost my business.

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth

You would probably have been lucky to get fuel anyway, as most hire companies don't offer services on changeover days.

Cheers Mike & Wendy

I think there are two taps there?

They are moored on bollards so I suspect they are blocking one of the two water taps.

Still there is space to get past, Have you tried going right down into Oxford? the hire company there is really bad.

...........Dave

I have a photo of 'my boat' (an Anglo Welsh boat from another of their bases) blocking the canal while taking on water from a water point near the canal shop. It was the only available water point at the time. Fortunately no other boats turned up, so I did not have to move before the tank was full. If there was a water point in a sensible place that was blocked by a moored boat. There are lots of water points in silly places.

If this is the AW rant thread then I had the same problem at Wooton Wawen last Autumn. They moored a boat on the entrance to the

aqueduct to use their pump out. Just lazy inconsideration so I pushed the boat out of the way to get past. I was told they always do that.

No, that is where the water points are, unless there are more round the corner?

Sorry, for some reason I thought they were moored opposite their basin. There seems to be more AW boats behind the 4 in front so they will be right across both water points. Selfish mooring and a bit of I'm all right Jack.

haggis

Sorry, for some reason I thought they were moored opposite their basin. There seems to be more AW boats behind the 4 in front so they will be right across both water points. Selfish mooring and a bit of I'm all right Jack.

haggis

No actually the boat behind them is a private one using the other water point. Yea, their basin is through the bridge at the start of the S&W. Of course, their longer boats tend to stick out into the channel, for others to have to dodge just as they complete the turn at the junction. (well, this is a rant thread!).

Hi Gareth

You would probably have been lucky to get fuel anyway, as most hire companies don't offer services on changeover days.

Cheers Mike & Wendy

I believe the company in question (Ashby boat co.) do though. Though I also seem to recall they ask you to avoid change over days if possible which seems a reasonable enough a request to me.

I believe the company in question (Ashby boat co.) do though. Though I also seem to recall they ask you to avoid change over days if possible which seems a reasonable enough a request to me.

Fair enough, you just may end up with a bit of a wait. No problem if you're not in a hurry.

Fair enough, you just may end up with a bit of a wait. No problem if you're not in a hurry.

I'm sure Ashby used to say as much on their web site but I have just had a look and it looks like they have completely revamped it and in fact now it would look like they don't provide any other services other than boat hire and services to hire boaters, so now I'm not as confident my original comment is correct TBH.

Well IF it is just for a day or two I mind less, however there is no need to stack the boats right on the junction, there is plenty of space further along but Oh! No bollards there, they might have to bend down to put a piling hook in!

Nick, the only thing I will say in their defence is that Anglo-Welsh paid for the moorings to be extended specifically so that they could put boats there without blocking the ones BW had provided for the services, so these boats are on AWs rings.

I left Lutine on that exact spot for a few days with their permission, and that was their reasoning (Lutine was immobile, a not uncommon state of affairs!)

I'm not sure that defends putting them four abreast though

At Bunbury they frequently use the lock landing as well as having breasted boats for the previous 8 boat lengths. When we moored up near Chester my fear was that as I passed their boats seeing the lock gates open to reveal a pair of working boats coming out. No room to pass and a long way to reverse around the corner under the railway bridge.