Worcester & Birmingham, ufn btwn Gas st & Granville St

springy

Featured Posts

Called in yesterday to have a look down the hole but I couldn't see anything obvious and there's no indication of where it is. Had a chat with the contractors security guys but they didn't know either.

Took a few pics (which don't show anything new but I thought some of you may be interested anyway):

From the Mailbox end (Gas St Basin in the background):

WP_20150228_12_30_02_Pro_zps50nrszdu.jpg

The pumps are running continuously:

WP_20150228_12_30_38_Pro_zpsjea04sbv.jpg

No sign of the 'big' hole:

WP_20150228_12_31_23_Pro_zps9chu9764.jpg

WP_20150228_12_32_28_Pro_zpsx2z8xq7x.jpg

WP_20150228_12_33_10_Pro_zpsgpb7kvxf.jpg

WP_20150228_12_33_39_Pro_zpsvidou4s8.jpg

WP_20150228_12_34_07_Pro_zpsixv2v2fa.jpg

Where's the TENS machine gone!:

WP_20150228_12_34_53_Pro_zpsywqw9ois.jpg

WP_20150228_12_35_03_Pro_zps7aexiyb4.jpg

The contractor managing the works:

WP_20150228_12_39_41_Pro_zpss56fps8q.jpg

ETA: Sp. and a few pic comments

Edited by Kendal

The holy grail?.

I'm reasonably sure there are loads of them about these days...

Actually I think you're right.

There's loads of films about it and in every film there's a different Holy Grail

Well done Dave, all we needed was that photo and we're hot on the trail of the function of the mystery gadget.

It has (or rather was at least alleged to have) a medical purpose; TENS is an acronym for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, and the ACU refers to its application to acupuncture points. We all knew that of course... I confess I didn't until I Googled it:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MNbYAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=ACU+TENS-4&source=bl&ots=-6Xn95_Vr1&sig=GPBl9j-mm4UzC2_9xIzpUhV5kQI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5CTzVKa3No_jaJm9geAG&ved=0CGwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=ACU%20TENS-4&f=false

Maybe if you clean it up, put a new power lead on it, wire the right part of yourself up to it, and pick the right settings of those knobs,

you'll have a pleasant experience. However I do not accept any responsibility for possible consequences...

Does the BCN Challenge already have a trophy for the winner? If not, what better than the Holy Grail, suitably mounted on a plinth?

Does Ian Hunter want his sunglasses back?

I went down to have a look at about midday on Friday.

From what I could see, the width of the towpath had been extended at some time and the canal bed goes under the towpath, the towpath being supported on concrete posts.

The leak could be under there. You can see the towpath extension from the photos looking towards the Mailbox.

There were half a dozen men in bright orange boiler suits in a huddle, having a conference and looking at the drained canal. They were on the ramp leading down from the pedestrian bridge which goes over the turn. There was a scaffold pole stuck in the canal by the towpath where it extends over the canal. Some of the boiler suits being worn were in pristine condition and had Network Rail on the back of them. I assume that whoever they worked for, they had to be wearing the correct orange railway safety equipment before they could enter railway property and go and view the leak from the tunnel.

The towpath does indeed come out above the canal, as I saw when I was having a little mooch about down there at an ungodly hour of Saturday morning.

I've been told the sunglasses are more reminiscent of Bono. DBDBB93A-7DB5-4511-B637-AE621A93CC40_zps

Looks like that to me.

Tim

Me too.

shout.gif Dave_P, time to get your wellies on again and see if Graham wants it back :)

However with the rings to which the hoops attach removed on both Collingwood and Anson I'm guessing he doesn't :)

Anyone know what's happening there? We took a walk past it yesterday and there wasn't anything going on (no sign of the 'large hole' either just mud and an entertaining variety of rubbish).

I can answer my own question - the canal hopefully opens again middle of next week.

The leak is right in the side where the towpath widens out over the water (by estate agent and Thai restaurant). Possibly the bed weakened by that widening.

Being cleared and refilled with clay today and tomorrow. Network Rail doing stuff in tunnel roof too. Scrap etc being removed from canal, test filling and if all ok then full refill.

I can answer my own question - the canal hopefully opens again middle of next week.

Hey, good news!

But, but, but, but...................we'll have to find something else to talk about ohmy.png

(And it looks like I'll never get my spring clip back, oh well....)

Hey, good news!

But, but, but, but...................we'll have to find something else to talk about ohmy.png

Maybe Dave_P can treat your pain with the TEN machine?

This topic has been very illuminating from day one. I for one will miss the banter and exchanges that have gone on. I would personally like to thank all the members who have taken time to post some great pictures of this stoppage, without their input we would have been in the dark. CRT have not been that forthcoming with information and it has taken the members to go out of their way in order to update us. Having floated over this site many times in my boat it great to see what's underneath. Also we could have formed a Canalworld team of volunteers to clear up some of the rubbish and other items from the bed of the canal but no doubt health and safety would have stopped this.

Also we could have formed a Canalworld team of volunteers to clear up some of the rubbish and other items from the bed of the canal but no doubt health and safety would have stopped this.

Hmmm.....

In general terms i see the beginning of a good idea there...

I'm sure if you select one of the photos in this thread and re-post it with an arrow pointing to your spring clip, someone from CRT will go in and get it for you.

:)

MtB

This topic has been very illuminating from day one. I for one will miss the banter and exchanges that have gone on. I would personally like to thank all the members who have taken time to post some great pictures of this stoppage, without their input we would have been in the dark. CRT have not been that forthcoming with information and it has taken the members to go out of their way in order to update us. Having floated over this site many times in my boat it great to see what's underneath. Also we could have formed a Canalworld team of volunteers to clear up some of the rubbish and other items from the bed of the canal but no doubt health and safety would have stopped this.

It's what we do

I wouldn't be too critical of CRT, I don't know of many large organisations that would provide the kind of chatty, fun-filled postings that we do here. I'm happy if they get on with the mending the canal bit

Some day, you might find yourself in the position of man-on-the-spot and provide info to the forum. It isn't the fist time we have had a thread like this

Richard

I think that CRT lost a great opportunity here to promote themselves.They have improved their public image over the last couple of years by allowing the public to see how they renovate repairs I.E Lock chambers etc,which I think is great.How often do you get to see part of the canal like this in the City of Birmingham.

Glad to have helped. Also, I tend to think that those deely-bopper bunny ears could have caused a serious prop-foul if I'd left it in there.

I tried to get the nice coal scuttle out but it was well embedded in mud and just crumbled in my hand.

Deely boppers, I haven't heard that for years. I had some with springy antennae and fluorescent Pom poms. I wonder where they went.

Just the thing for the end of the BCN challenge.

I've enjoyed this discussion. Thanks for the photos.

I had my eye on the coal bucket but will pass on the Holy Grail .

Actually to be fair to CRT I went in to the local office and asked and they gave me the update and a CRT man in suit on site happily confirmed them.

I think that CRT lost a great opportunity here to promote themselves.They have improved their public image over the last couple of years by allowing the public to see how they renovate repairs I.E Lock chambers etc,which I think is great.How often do you get to see part of the canal like this in the City of Birmingham.

Today they had two people at the site talking to passers by, answering questions and trying to sign them up for CRT