Not displaying boat index number..

casper ghost

Featured Posts

Isn't your index number printed on your licence, if you have one? Mine is on mine. If not, I should complain to CART if I were you.

My licence PLATES are (possibly) in my engine room. May I suggest a visit to Confused.com?

yes it is printed on my license as you well know but the fact remains you need all 3 to comply, Boat’s name,index number AND the Licence on both sides of the Boat

if you have read through this thread there are 3 people who have had emails regarding not displaying index numbers.

On the Broads you have to have a Tolls plaque applied to both sides of the bows in a position stipulated by The B.A and also carry the boat reg on each side of the bows plus on the stern of the boat. The BA do supply self adhesive numbers on a single plaque by request and they are of a suitable size that complies with their regs

On E.A waters you are required to carry the reg number on each side so that it may be read from the bank wherever you are. For my own part I have reg numbers in the same colour and font as the boat name.

Phil

Some people here are just trying to be difficult!

The reason CRT want you to display your index number on both sides of the boat so that it is always easily visible by their employees on the towpath or on the waterway, is so that wherever the boat is - moving, or tied up to the towpath or to the offside - the licence checker on the towpath can see the boat number, enter it into his handheld computer, and immediately know whether the boat is licenced.

That doesn't seem to me to be unreasonable. Whereas arguing that merely displaying your licence, which includes the index number in letters only a few mm high, clearly doesn't achieve this.

Some years ago we we got a query from BW in just this way - the index number displayed on the boat (and observed at out offside home mooring) was, according to BW, allocated to a boat which had not been licenced for a couple of years. But the licence checker had also noticed that the system held details of another boat with the same name, same length and same home mooring, which was licensed. It turned out that due to an error in the licensing department we had been allocated 2 index numbers, and the licence payment had been set against one number, and the other was displayed on the boat. Of course the other index number was printed on the licence, but we had never noticed the mismatch. It was all easily sorted out and we are now correctly licenced and indexed.

Some people here are just trying to be difficult!

The reason CRT want you to display your index number on both sides of the boat so that it is always easily visible by their employees on the towpath or on the waterway, is so that wherever the boat is - moving, or tied up to the towpath or to the offside - the licence checker on the towpath can see the boat number, enter it into his handheld computer, and immediately know whether the boat is licenced.

That doesn't seem to me to be unreasonable. Whereas arguing that merely displaying your licence, which includes the index number in letters only a few mm high, clearly doesn't achieve this.

Some years ago we we got a query from BW in just this way - the index number displayed on the boat (and observed at out offside home mooring) was, according to BW, allocated to a boat which had not been licenced for a couple of years. But the licence checker had also noticed that the system held details of another boat with the same name, same length and same home mooring, which was licensed. It turned out that due to an error in the licensing department we had been allocated 2 index numbers, and the licence payment had been set against one number, and the other was displayed on the boat. Of course the other index number was printed on the licence, but we had never noticed the mismatch. It was all easily sorted out and we are now correctly licenced and indexed.

Fully agree.

Hell's teeth! What is it about some boaters which makes them nit pick over every tiny legality and request.

Surely it isn't unreasonable to have your boat readily identifiable to CRT. Take for example a boat passing called Kingfisher. It clearly shows its name and there is a licence showing. How can anybody tell from half a canal's width if the license is a mock up or genuine. Simple they can't, with out the index number to check. It strikes me anybody who takes the attitude the license is enough probably condones license evasion as well.

Incidentally my dictionary defines visible as "able to be seen". IMO a black smudge on what may or may not be a genuine license isn't a visible. It might be guessed it is the index number but on the other hand it could be two dead flies. To me (and I think by definition) it has to be readable for you to say I can see an index number as opposed to I can see a black splodge where I would expect the number to be.

Edit: I intended to say Canalplanner lists 49 boats called kingfisher.

Edited by Jerra

It strikes me anybody who takes the attitude the license is enough probably condones license evasion as well.

What a load of tosh.

(I was going to use an alternative word to 'tosh' which is is a word akin to spherical objects that hang between a mans legs but in recognition of the 'fluffy bunnyness' this place now is have resisted.

What a load of tosh.

(I was going to use an alternative word to 'tosh' which is is a word akin to spherical objects that hang between a mans legs but in recognition of the 'fluffy bunnyness' this place now is have resisted.

What other reason can any sensible person have for nit picking over such a simple and logical requirement. People seem to be suggesting that the CRT employees are fitted with superman's eyes.

Other than trying to hide the boat's identity what other sensible reason is there for not displaying index number?

What reasons are there for deliberately trying to make it impossible for CRT to identify the boat?

Did you tell the police when discs were still displayed "I don't need number plates because the number is on the disc"?

The index numbers need to be displayed sufficiently large to be readable for the same reason as a car number plate i.e. easy identification at a distance.

What other reason can any sensible person have for nit picking over such a simple and logical requirement. People seem to be suggesting that the CRT employees are fitted with superman's eyes.

Other than trying to hide the boat's identity what other sensible reason is there for not displaying index number?

What reasons are there for deliberately trying to make it impossible for CRT to identify the boat?

Did you tell the police when discs were still displayed "I don't need number plates because the number is on the disc"?

The index numbers need to be displayed sufficiently large to be readable for the same reason as a car number plate i.e. easy identification at a distance.

More of what a said before I am afraid....

You made a huge leap to get to the point that I and others support licence evasion. In fact you couldn't be further from the truth in my case.

I of course realise you didn't actually say I did but I think it's a reasonable conclusion given your earlier post. Goodnight.

All vessels registered on the small ship register are legaly required to clearly display their registration number .A sheet of paper is supplied which shows the font and size of the letters.Ownership of the vessel can be established by reference to M.C.A.records. No argument about semantics.I would have thought that to clearly identify your vessel is in every owners best interest.for security reasons.Why make an issue of it?

More of what a said before I am afraid....

You made a huge leap to get to the point that I and others support licence evasion. In fact you couldn't be further from the truth in my case.

I of course realise you didn't actually say I did but I think it's a reasonable conclusion given your earlier post. Goodnight.

I note with interest you do not attempt to supply any answers to the questions.

Fair enough. Does that mean you can't? Answer in the morning as you have said goodnight.

Sleep well.

I note with interest you do not attempt to supply any answers to the questions.

Fair enough. Does that mean you can't? Answer in the morning as you have said goodnight.

Sleep well.

Just popped back in to say that when I feel under any sort of obligation to answer banal and irrelevant questions posed by yourself, in particular ones that actually have nothing to do with the subject under discussion be assured I will let you know.......till then no, i simply won't bother. I might have done if you had explained your erroneous conclusion about my condoning licence evasion but as you failed to do that I see no reason to reciprocate. Edited by The Dog House

Just popped back in to say that when I feel under any sort of obligation to answer banal and irrelevant questions posed by yourself, in particular ones that actually have nothing to do with the subject under discussion be assured I will let you know.......till then no, i simply won't bother. I might have done if you had explained your erroneous conclusion about my condoning licence evasion but as you failed to do that I see no reason to reciprocate.

If you had been able to give me some other reasons I might have been able to see it was erroneous. However with no evidence to the contrary I have nothing to base the suggestion that anyone might be acting as I suggest is erroneous.

So until I see some reasons a sensible person may have to disprove the position I have taken I have no reason or evidence to think I might have an erroneous idea.

We Brits simply don't like being told what to do.

However if we keep this up, the powers that be, will simply become more prescriptive. The T&C's will be changed to state the the plate given on first registration must be displayed in a certain place. eg top of cabin side at stern on both sides.

I, for one, will be unhappy about that, as the freedom we currently have to display the number by either using the plate or having it signwritten anywhere on the side as part of the overall decoration of the boat will disapear. By defying what seems like a reasonable request that a boat should be easily identifiable by name, number and licence, we all become losers.

Well said that man.

We Brits simply don't like being told what to do.

However if we keep this up, the powers that be, will simply become more prescriptive. The T&C's will be changed to state the the plate given on first registration must be displayed in a certain place. eg top of cabin side at stern on both sides.

I, for one, will be unhappy about that, as the freedom we currently have to display the number by either using the plate or having it signwritten anywhere on the side as part of the overall decoration of the boat will disapear. By defying what seems like a reasonable request that a boat should be easily identifiable by name, number and licence, we all become losers.

Fair comment, I can actually relate to that.

I too received this e-letter today, pointing out that my registration number was not displayed. It did not mention that the boat's name was not displayed. Licence is displayed. The registration number is mounted on each side of the vessel but unfortunately they are obscured by my aft covers, as it has been whenever the boat is unoccupied over the last 20 years. It is always visible when cruising and I always thought this to be ok, and the licence with name on it would be enough. Now clearly understanding I plead guilty as charge and will move my plates to a more prominent position.

Cant help wondering about all those boats completely draped in tarpaulins over winter.

Ye gods, what is wrong with these people? Just display your number properly, it isn't that hard. No wonder the canals are in such a bad state, CRT have to expend so much effort on trying to get the silly children on here to do something so basic and reasonable. When I am boss of CRT, I will take great pleasure in having boats not displaying their index number summarily crushed, preferably with the owners still on board. Well, it worked for Ronnie anyway.

I knew that someone would come up with a reasonable point of view.biggrin.png

I too received this e-letter today, pointing out that my registration number was not displayed. It did not mention that the boat's name was not displayed. Licence is displayed. The registration number is mounted on each side of the vessel but unfortunately they are obscured by my aft covers, as it has been whenever the boat is unoccupied over the last 20 years. It is always visible when cruising and I always thought this to be ok, and the licence with name on it would be enough. Now clearly understanding I plead guilty as charge and will move my plates to a more prominent position.

Cant help wondering about all those boats completely draped in tarpaulins over winter.

Had never really taken that much notice before but our index numbers are slightly obscured by our canopies. They have been in the same place for 12 years and it has not been flagged up but as we are putting new ones on shortly we will move them so that they can be easily read.

We have also not had names on the bow for at least six years. It is displayed on the stern. Might have to put them back on the bow as well!