Low water from Leighton Buzzard to Marsworth

J R ALSOP

Featured Posts

Congratulations to the three "CRT volunteer's" who were moving a red boat to Limehouse last night, they passed me at the Aylesbury Arm junction about 2am. They had left every paddle up and gates open, the pounds from Ivinghoe lock 33 to 36 where 20inches down, I have never seen so many propellors on moored boats. the pound between lock 37 and 38 was empty.

A following boat who was sharing the Three Locks at Solbury with them, told me that they had to press on

Now tied at the Grove having a pint having taken all day to do a normally 3-1/2 hour trip.

Complete a***holes. Came past Seabrook at midnight and we have been on the botttom all day. Still not up now and I dont give much chance for tomorrow. Friend of mine was closing Ivinghoe Lock gates and paddles at 5.30 this morning. Messed up first day of my holiday! So much for those who say its ok to leave gates open!.

You are not the only ones to suffer incompetence of others. In October, we tramped down the Thames. Friday afternoon saw us at Brentford, we pressed on to half way up the Hanwell flight. Having finished a meal, we noticed the boat heeled over with a significant list. Looking out, there was a boat crewed by 2 young men who had followed us from Teddington. They were unable to leave the lock below because of low water levels, why I don't know....there was plenty when we came up an hour earlier.

" We didn't know these locks were here. " they told me, as we walked to the lock above. I ran water down to enable them to leave the lock below and pass us. They then entered the next lock. I left them to it then, asking them to empty the lock after leaving it to make our lives easier in the morning. They did......without closing the top paddles!

Next morning, the pound above our next lock was down to a third full. It took some 45 mins to let enough water down to enable a passage, during which we picked up a good bladefull of sari, cable and poly bags which took another half hour to remove. En route we passed the culprits...." Your mate told me to do it! " was their defence. Sometimes, I despair!

Dave

Isn't this particular problem due to paddles being left open rather than gates? huh.png

At least that's how it reads in the OP...

Ignoring modern protocol it is generally OK to leave gates open on the GU, BUT you must also look behind you to check that the paddles there are not leaking. If they are then it is essential to close the gates and paddles as you leave. It sounds as if these people are not doing that. If there is a succession of pounds that are dropping off in these river-fed sections the locks must be in very poor condition now.

Tam

Congratulations to the three "CRT volunteer's" who were moving a red boat to Limehouse last night, they passed me at the Aylesbury Arm junction about 2am. They had left every paddle up and gates open, the pounds from Ivinghoe lock 33 to 36 where 20inches down, I have never seen so many propellors on moored boats. the pound between lock 37 and 38 was empty.

A following boat who was sharing the Three Locks at Solbury with them, told me that they had to press on

Now tied at the Grove having a pint having taken all day to do a normally 3-1/2 hour trip.

Yes. If they left every paddle up and gate open they must have been superheroes or did.they have Arnie with them :lol:

I used to find bottom gates were worse for leakage so the worst bit would be as far as Marsworth with top gates being left open. If the bottom gates were left open on way down from Cowroast I would not expect such a serious problem unless the locks are really very shagged out. Haven't been for a few years - is it all.coming to bits??

I have come across a couple of people who call paddles gates....I wonder?...

JR ALSOP isn't one of them ;)

I think he means exit gates left open and paddles up at that end of the lock.usually to save time.

'all paddles up' would be vandalism and the boat would not progress through the locks at all.

Reported problem areas as where a boat has gone up a lock leaving top (exit) gates open exposing the pound above to bottom gate leakage problems.

Question is did the same problem occur below Cowroast? I doubt it.

(because top gates usually seal better than botto gates and as mentioned the GU is mostly river fed below Cowroast

Edited by magnetman

The CRT confusion is caused by the member of the crew wearing a CRT RSPB flourescent jacket.

He's just come through Copper Mill Lock and seems a pleasant enough chap though he is battling a boat that's in appalling mechanical condition. The list of issues he's had was not a short one.

I mentioned the comments on here and he said he was following notices on the locks to leave the sluices open, though whem I pointed out this was on the southern flights he did look a little abashed. His idle speed is the problem in the passing boats speed.

Single manning and not moving at night from today so some of you can tie up better for tomorrow!

As I spent the night at Grove lock, I watched a boat come up the lock this morning, after he closed the gates it took 15mins for the lock to empty, this due to the bottom gate mitre's being in a poor state. I bet the pub are glad, as the last time I was in the loo's there (they are under ground) the wall thickness from the lock is about 5feet, staff were mopping in a serious way, I went and made sure the lock was empty, I wouldn't have fancied doing my shift bailing.