Additional Residential Moorings - Oxford

Proper Job

Featured Posts

When I was in Oxford, I took a walk down the arm to see if I could moor there. I could have, and could even have turned at the end, but rejected it because of the large accumulation of cans and bottles on the grass at the end and the couple of characters on the bench who were adding to the pile.

They look lovely in the winter and spring, but the rest of the year it's a dark green tunnel.

Probably quite noisy in the early morning as it's one of the main roads into the city.

Great if you like oriental food or cooking it.

Since there's a huge shortage of VMs in Oxford, and the ones at the end of the Hythe Bridge arm are not much good as VMs because of the lack of winding facilities, the obvious solution is to make new VMs north of Isis lock, by removing long-term moorings there, and replace those long-term moorings with new ones a Hythe Bridge. Problem solved. Next.

MP.

We were in Oxford in the summer; there are lots of visitor moorings on the approach to Isis lock, it probably did fill up by the end of the day, but it was August. There is at most room for 2 boats at the end of the arm (no one using them when we were there), so I don't think it is going to make much difference overall to the mooring situation in Oxford if those are lost. If you are going on the river then there are also very good moorings there, but only free for the first 24 hours I think.

The problem CaRT will not address, especially as we now have the draconian "no return within" "rules and threats", is that all the Oxford moorings tend to fill up in the cruising season when the Thames goes into flood. The situation is not helped by the way the Osney cut restricts the water flow.

I use those moorings and have backed to and from them without a bow thruster. They are perfectly usable for many/most modern boats.

It's another example of "stuff the rule abiding license payers". just like the Upton upon Severn farce - except this time I am sure CaRT can do as they please.

It is fifteen years since I last moored there. The ideal place to spend two or three days visiting the city'; less than two days you may not get theatre bookings. The smell of the dog poo baking in the sun was 'unpleasant', reversing was not a problem but I doubt most hire boat companies recommend it.

The City Council and CRT should first look at encouraging visitors to moor at the terminus, maybe enlarge the 'basin' or even extend the canal to its former terminus.

From a Social Service POV, each residential boater is one less for which they have to pay exhorbitant 'temporary accomodation' fees. Yet another case of 'use it or lose it'?

Alan

We have the guys email address (CRT that is) may I suggest rather than complain on here we all write to him direct.

I thought it was posted here for discussion, isn't that what we are doing.

I posted it to make people aware of the proposal, allow it to be discussed openly rather than behind closed doors by the select few, and for people to email Nick Wild (if they feel inclined to do so)

Does anyone know the legal position about right of navigation on this arm? If the proposal is adopted, then effectively we will be prevented from navigating this stretch as there is no reason to do so. I then believe that there is a possibility that residential boats may double or triple moor, blocking the navigation anyway.

Edited by billS

Does anyone know the legal position about right of navigation on this arm? If the proposal is adopted, then effectively we will be prevented from navigating this stretch as there is no reason to do so. I then believe that there is a possibility that residential boats may double or triple moor, blocking the navigation anyway.

If CRT data is to believed, it has only been used by 25 boats since April 2013 anyway

I agree though, if these's no 'right' of navigation, it will could soon become blocked off and return back to the state it was in before the IWA cleared it out

I defence of the current residents of the arm. It is kept in good order and they do take pride in keeping the surroundings well maintained

Does anyone know the legal position about right of navigation on this arm?

None. As with most of the rest of the network, the public right of navigation was removed by the Transport Act 1968.

Under the 1968 Act the whole of the Oxford Canal was designated as a Cruising Waterway, so your legal positiion in relation to navigation of the arm is the same as for the rest of the canal.

• 1 month later...

Good response from CRT here! It's nice to see a consultation program actually working.

Dear all,

I would just like to update you on the Trusts proposal to create a permanent residential mooring in place of an existing visitor mooring, at Hythe Bridge on the Oxford Canal.

In response to the consultation we undertook about the proposal, we received constructive feedback and useful information – thank you for that. Having considered all of the information provided, the Trust has re-evaluated the proposal. We can now confirm that at this time we will not be pursuing a planning application for the proposed change of use. The existing mooring berth will therefore remain in use for visitors.

If you do wish to make any further comments please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Nick Wild MA MRTPI

Delivery Planner (north and north wales)

Edited by billS

I got this too. Most interesting to see email distribution does not appear to show that any boating Orgs were included in this "consultation". I really hope CRT improves its method of consultation.

Val

The consultation is public, therefore anyone can contribute. If the boating organisations choose not to......

It does rather look as if had it not been posted here and some of us bothered to write the result may have been rather different and rather more to CRT's liking, there is nothing to beat a selective consultation to get what you want through.

It does rather look as if had it not been posted here and some of us bothered to write the result may have been rather different and rather more to CRT's liking, there is nothing to beat a selective consultation to get what you want through.

How is the consultation selective?????????

• 8 months later...

The Hythe Bridge Arm moorings are still there. They're right at the end of the arm, though (I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere above, but never mind), and there's no proper winding hole at the end - I think anything over anywhere under I think the limit for turning is something like 30ft). There'll be space before Isis lock, just after the Jericho footbridge, if you'd rather avoid the reversing practise (both there and Hythe Bridge ate 48 hours).

The Hythe Bridge Arm moorings are still there. They're right at the end of the arm, though (I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere above, but never mind), and there's no proper winding hole at the end - I think anything over anywhere under I think the limit for turning is something like 30ft). There'll be space before Isis lock, just after the Jericho footbridge, if you'd rather avoid the reversing practise (both there and Hythe Bridge ate 48 hours).

Brilliant, thanks for the info. How far are we talking in reverse? Part of me wants to make all the way to the very end of the canal.