Scary moment - runaway engine.

Delta9

Featured Posts

Point of order M'Lud. Diesels don't have an 'ignition system'.

MtB

In respose to my learned friend, I have a key that I put in the control panel, and when turned causes the engine to ignite (start). To stop the key has to be in the 'on position in order for the 'stop button' to be pressed in order to cease the function of the engine running, thereby ceasing the ignition process of the engine to stop. Hence the wording, stated by your goodself, 'ignition system' which indeed it is. It is in common vocabulary usage that such a key is known as an 'ignition key'.

There are boats where when the 'key' is turned off the engine stops, just like in a car. Spooky if you don't know this process and are searching around for the stop button!

I rest my case, and ask the court to take into account other engine stopping procedures in mitigation.

More of a 'starter key', innit? Diesels run forever given clean oil, fuel and air, as I was taught. To stop them, you have to stop the fuel flow. (Murphy valve, in our case)

Or stop summat else, like the air flow, or the crankshaft. (Magnetron's post)

I'm still learning here though...

Look you two, it was bait for RLWP to refute my statement...

He LOVES refuting statements of absolute fact like wot I just statified. He seems awfully quiet though... biggrin.png

MtB

Huh? Another Glenfiddich, thank you

Richard

Point of order M'Lud. Diesels don't have an 'ignition system'.

MtB

2nd point of order M'Lud Kelvin K have spark plugs 'cos they start on petrol then switch to diesel !!! http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114178

3rd point of order : when it's running on petrol, is it a diesel engine?

Iain

In fact, the vacuum motor will speed up (if it changes speed). Blocking the inlet to the fan reduces the load on the motor as it is no longer shifting air. But you knew that, it's what happens when a sock/ping-pong ball/hamster gets stuck in the pipe

Richard

We had many arguments about that when I was an apprentice. We used to put an ammeter in line to prove that the motor was doing less work when the pipe was covered.

We had many arguments about that when I was an apprentice. We used to put an ammeter in line to prove that the motor was doing less work when the pipe was covered.

We had an experimental fuel pump on test, a centrifugal pump running at 39,000rpm capable of delivering around 4,000 gallons per hour at several thousand psi. We always started testing that with the outlet fully shut off to reduce the load on the test rig. That took some getting my head around. That thing would get significant cavitation erosion in the HSS rotor in around fifteen minutes, and could catastrophically fail in a fraction of a second. When we first started testing, it had a metal shear pin that the old hands* sensibly replaced with a piece of wooden dowel. Happy days...

Richard

*<thinks - I'm one of the old hands now - bugger!>

In fact, the vacuum motor will speed up (if it changes speed). Blocking the inlet to the fan reduces the load on the motor as it is no longer shifting air. But you knew that, it's what happens when a sock/ping-pong ball/hamster gets stuck in the pipe

Richard

A major problem when you are trying to pump gas for an offshore platform back to land with an RB211 driving the compressor. Happens when you are pumping like S**t and the wells close in for some reason. you know its happened.

We had an experimental fuel pump on test, a centrifugal pump running at 39,000rpm capable of delivering around 4,000 gallons per hour at several thousand psi. We always started testing that with the outlet fully shut off to reduce the load on the test rig. That took some getting my head around. That thing would get significant cavitation erosion in the HSS rotor in around fifteen minutes, and could catastrophically fail in a fraction of a second. When we first started testing, it had a metal shear pin that the old hands* sensibly replaced with a piece of wooden dowel. Happy days...

Richard

*<thinks - I'm one of the old hands now - bugger!>

Love it :)

Commercial diesel engines, as used in large generator sets, have the option of being fitted with an "air shut off" valve in the air inlet pipework. Basically it is a spring loaded flap and when the engine over speeds it sucks in more sir, overcomes the spring pressure and closes the flap. Can also be manually and remotely operated.

There are two manufacturers that I know of, Amot and Chalwyn. Not sure if they do them for small engines found in canal boats.

When I commissioned my first one it stopped the engine (Cummins KTA50) almost instantly, I shudder at the forces that must be involved. I wanted to repeat the test to demonstrate repeatability, but the engine manufacturer would only allow one forced stop without a strip down to check for damage.

Next time this happens ( ninja.gif ) put into gear - provided you are confident you're well moored up. This will limit the revs the engine can reach and possibly prevent any serious damage.

And given the history of this engine checking the oil level prior to starting every single time you start it would be a Very Good Idea.

It would have revealed the developing problem. Or have you been doing this anyway, and the sump filled up really fast?

MtB

Would that not bugger the gearbox?

I am guilty of not checking the oil as often as I should have considering its previous problems. The last few times I've started it I intended to check it and didn't remember until I'd started it. I think I've learned my lesson now...

Can only think of three ways to get diesel into the sump:-

Seals on the diesel pump

leaking injectors/injector sleeves

cracked block

Not sure about the cracked block - swap it for a leaking lift pump diaphragm and I'd agree with that. Assuming you mean the main injector pump in the first item, and it isn't a Lister with internal diesel pipes

Richard

put it into gear and try to sling a rope round the prop?

A CO2 extinguisher is a handy tool but I seem to think the BSS hates them for some unknown reason

I don't think there is anything to stop you having one so long as you have the others they require as well.

The overfilled sump on our Peugeot 305 slopped up into the bores once when cornering hard on a roundabout, I had the dual carriageway ahead to myself so I could have carried on and burnt off the oil but didn't think and stopped instead, brought the whole area to a standstill! Embarrassing.

I reckon a CO2 extinguisher is the best bet.

BCF was even better, I have stopped some big Caterpillar Gen sets with that.

A CO2 extinguisher is a handy tool but I seem to think the BSS hates them for some unknown reason

I don't think that's true, the BSS doesn't care of you have them on board but they just won't count towards your extinguisher capacity. That's what my inspector told me recently anyway.

I wonder if rigging up a remotely activated CO2 extinguisher in the engine hole would be a good idea in case of fires or runaway engine? Obviously the mechanism would need to be protected so it couldnt go off accidentally.

Edited by blackrose

talking of runnaway engines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM

a scary vid about 4 minutes long of a BIG bolinder, on a light load run after being rebuilt, running away, the guys had put oil in the sump, and it just took it in with the air (for those that dont know, its a two stoke semi diesel that draws are into the crank chamber then exports it into the cylinder on the down stroke ready for combustion ... you dont put oil in the sump on a bolinder of this type!!).

Jay

I don't think that's true, the BSS doesn't care of you have them on board but they just won't count towards your extinguisher capacity. That's what my inspector told me recently anyway.

I wonder if rigging up a remotely activated CO2 extinguisher in the engine hole would be a good idea in case of fires or runaway engine? Obviously the mechanism would need to be protected so it couldnt go off accidentally.

CO2 ext on rear deck going into 38mm plastic pipe through deck into some flexi teed into air intake.

In emergency release pin lock, pull pin and activate.

put it into gear and try to sling a rope round the prop?

The unknown reason is known. It is simply that CO2 is an asphyxiant.