What a night.

MHS

Featured Posts

Go outside and look at the sky.

We are moored on the Shroppie near Hack Green. It's so clear the stars are amazing. I wish my brother was with us as he's an accomplished astronomer, he could tell us what the stars between the stars are called!!

....... he could tell us what the stars between the stars are called!!

That's quite easy......

..... even the very "smallest" or "faintest" ones are still called "stars"!

(Unless they are called planets, planes, satellites, etc....)

That's quite easy......

..... even the very "smallest" or "faintest" ones are still called "stars"!

(Unless they are called planets, planes, satellites, etc....)

Yeah, yeah go and get an education.

dont you just love this time of year, i can sit on the step of my boat with the door open as the fire is too hot and star gaze without having to go outside! Seriously though it amazes me sometimes how many stars are there. The best night though was join the summer when we had that special moon that looked very close, that was really good as we were really away fom light pollution. It was beautiful. Cant you tell my astronomy skills are really good!

Edited by little duck!

Cloudless, moonless night mid Pacific on a tanker with only navigation lights showing, the display of stars is magnificent. You could see why the "milky way" was called that.

I never counted "falling stars" but they were on continuous display I would say about thirty every minute. You have got to get a long way from light pollution sources to view stars to their best. Sometimes the starlight would be enhanced with sparkling florescence from the crests of waves. One night I recall seeing long florescent trails made by dolphins racing past the ship and cris-crossing in front of the bow. A real "I wish the folks at home could see this" moment. Since retiring I really do miss occasions like that

Edited by Radiomariner
  • Greenie 3

Similar good views of stars when in remote areas of Africa, but the best was deep in the desert in Saudi. We had a surveyor with us who was a keen astronomer and we used the survey instrument as a telescope - with all those stars out there, it is sheer arrogance to think we are the only life form about.

dont you just love this time of year, i can sit on the step of my boat with the door open as the fire is too hot and star gaze without having to go outside! Seriously though it amazes me sometimes how many stars are there. The best night though was join the summer when we had that special moon that looked very close, that was really good as we were really away fom light pollution. It was beautiful. Cant you tell my astronomy skills are really good!

Oops, if you have to have the door open then you have over stoked your fire, very wasteful on fuel.

Phil

You have stars inside your cratch? Wow :)

Go outside and look at the sky.

We are moored on the Shroppie near Hack Green. It's so clear the stars are amazing. I wish my brother was with us as he's an accomplished astronomer, he could tell us what the stars between the stars are called!!

Much warmer in here.

:)

I have just cut a ventilation hole off the end of my bed successfully. Now if I were to cut another one directly over my pillow, and fit a telescope instead of a ventilator, I could see stars whilst snugly laying in bed. Has anybody tried fitting some variety of telescope in the ceiling of a narrowboat? Obviously it would have to be dismountable for cruising.

I have just cut a ventilation hole off the end of my bed successfully. Now if I were to cut another one directly over my pillow, and fit a telescope instead of a ventilator, I could see stars whilst snugly laying in bed. Has anybody tried fitting some variety of telescope in the ceiling of a narrowboat? Obviously it would have to be dismountable for cruising.

If they can install a large telescope in a 747 I'm sure you can install one on ya boat :D

Three hundred and twenty seven apparently but i've never bothered to count them so i cant vouch for the accuracy of that number.tongue.png

Cloudless, moonless night mid Pacific on a tanker with only navigation lights showing, the display of stars is magnificent. You could see why the "milky way" was called that.

I never counted "falling stars" but they were on continuous display I would say about thirty every minute. You have got to get a long way from light pollution sources to view stars to their best. Sometimes the starlight would be enhanced with sparkling florescence from the crests of waves. One night I recall seeing long florescent trails made by dolphins racing past the ship and cris-crossing in front of the bow. A real "I wish the folks at home could see this" moment. Since retiring I really do miss occasions like that

That sounds fantastic.

My first indulgence when I move aboard is going to be a half decent telescope.

Greenie for that one Sparks!

Mid Indian Ocean was fantastic for me, though spend more of my time West and North of Suez these days. Still like to use the stars to get a fix in the morning and shoot the sun at Noon. More for professional satisfaction rather than anything else. though the yanks HAVE been know to switch off the GPS from time to time so good to keep the old skills to hand!