Question: Mooring "etiquette"

1TobyM

Featured Posts

Well, he/she is just another waterways idiot who likes to tell people the "correct" way to do things, without actually knowing what they are talking about.

If there's no current then just moor the way that's most convenient for you.

I could not agree more!

Reverse in and erode the bank when you run engine to go out, as few people realise that its easy to just give it a manual push to get boat moving.

All this have to use one end or the other because of door locks well sort out so that you can use both ends its not rocket science and it may come in handy one day.

On the Broads we always moored stern on to get on and off easily boats where wide so easy to stern tie .

Just a thought Tixall wide now if all boats moored end on it would make a good meet.

I think there was a major incentive for working boats to moor stern to the bank when rafting up or on short finger moorings as to get off the boat would otherwise mean walking the length of the top plank to get ashore.

Naturally this is not such a problem with a modern boat which is cabined/decked the full length with no hold to negotiate.

MtB

oats, on 15 Nov 2014 - 6:03 PM, said:

Not correct 'having spent a few years in the med I can say that' it is not a 'rule' In the med if you moor stern to there is a chance you could hit the rudder & or prop on rubble etc. You also usually have to drop your anchor a few yards out & reverse back to set is as most places do not have pontoons. Therefore it can be better to moor bows to with a kedge anchor out the back & climb over the pullpit rail to get off.

Maybe the 'norm' is more correct than the 'rule' - certainly in my experience its the majority that are stern-to.

I'm sure that different areas will do it differently - whenever we were in the Med it was drop the anchor, reverse back until the stern was a few feet away from the wall/pontoon, drop the hydraulic gangplank,tie up and 'jobs a good-un'.

"RYA Mooring in the Med"

Mediterranean mooring is usually stern-to and occasionally bows-to the quay. Boats usually moor stern-to the quay or pontoon for ease of access ashore

Reverse in and erode the bank when you run engine to go out, as few people realise that its easy to just give it a manual push to get boat moving.All this have to use one end or the other because of door locks well sort out so that you can use both ends its not rocket science and it may come in handy one day.On the Broads we always moored stern on to get on and off easily boats where wide so easy to stern tie .Just a thought Tixall wide now if all boats moored end on it would make a good meet.

Reverse in and erode the bank when you run engine to go out, as few people realise that its easy to just give it a manual push to get boat moving.All this have to use one end or the other because of door locks well sort out so that you can use both ends its not rocket science and it may come in handy one day.On the Broads we always moored stern on to get on and off easily boats where wide so easy to stern tie .Just a thought Tixall wide now if all boats moored end on it would make a good meet.

Plus on the Broads mooring space is limited (no towpath)so its better use of space,the banks are normally quay headed so no danger of bank erosion due to prop wash.

Phil

I have reversed our boat into its marina mooring many times (mains socket for genny, access etc) until some diesle was nicked from boats either side of me. I put the boat sharp end in first now.

But if your untouched boat was moored between two boats which had diesel stolen, wouldn't it make sense to keep on mooring it the same way?

I'm a bit shocked that diesel was stolen in a marina, it's the type of thing I half expect to happen to my truck if I ever have to park overnight in Pikey Central, but I wouldn't expect it to happen in a marina.

We are third boat out on a four boat pontoon. Reversing in cuts down the walk which can be tricky in the wet, and makes for a quick getaway next time.

I love the challenge of reversing back between the other boats, especially if there's a bit of wind to liven things up. Slow and careful is the watchword, but if we look like touching one of the other boats, we deploy the "bonker " which is basically a boxing glove on a stick to gently fend off.

Bow end first for us, we have a trad stern and its much easier to load via the bow, especially as the pontoon only just reaches the stern.

Many of the other marina occupant moor stern first and I suspect there is some oneupmanship as it seems to be a bit of a spectator sport if it takes more than one attempt....

This may be a contentious one... but I honestly don't know the answer...

I've been living on a narrowboat for over 2 years now, mostly in a marina- and I've never understood why some boaters INSIST on always mooring "stern in". Or backwards. Not least because half the ones who do spend a LOT of time doing it.

One once said to me it's the "proper" way of mooring.

Now I'm not precious about such things, but I am curious if anyone here has strong views on the subject: could anyone shed some light on this?

As we have a side hatch you can use as entry and exit it rather depends on the jetty allocated to us in the Marina we are berthed at. At our old Marina we went in fore end first (side hatch against the jetty) but at our new one we prefer to be counter first for the same reason of the side hatch against the jetty. Otherwise I have no particular preference and have been known to go in fore end first at the new Marina when the wind has been blowing too hard and unfavourably to turn the boat into our jetty and reverse in. I usually give it 3 attempts (unless it is so bad I don't even try) and give up after that if I don't succeed.

Hi,

When I moored in Cowroast Marina years ago, it was wise to moor 'stern in' on one side to protect the boats stern gear.

A vicious wind blew across the small marina and if a boat over 55 ft came in and tried to berth it was interesting unless the steerer got it right first time. as the boat would be blown across the sterns of up to 8 or 9 boats.....

L

But if your untouched boat was moored between two boats which had diesel stolen, wouldn't it make sense to keep on mooring it the same way?

I'm a bit shocked that diesel was stolen in a marina, it's the type of thing I half expect to happen to my truck if I ever have to park overnight in Pikey Central, but I wouldn't expect it to happen in a marina.

Yawn

We moor stern first. Although the main entrance to the boat is at the front and going in and out at the stern means going through engine room and boatman's cabin, we still prefer it.

The main reason is it gives us a much nicer view from the lounge and cratch, it puts our side hatch looking out over water rather than being unable to open as it's right next to another boat, and I actually find it easier to get in and out of the mooring.

It does mean we have to balance along the gunwale with a gas bottle though when it runs out, it also means moving all the bags of coal along the roof, and makes filing up with water harder than it should be - all for a better view!

I agree with the poster above who said it prevents silting up. When we first moored in that spot (forwards) we had to come in quite quickly to force our way in. It was even harder reversing in the first few times, but now we just stir up some mud and that's it.

Tom

Edited by Tom and Bex

We moor stern first. Although the main entrance to the boat is at the front and going in and out at the stern means going through engine room and boatman's cabin, we still prefer it.

The main reason is it gives us a much nicer view from the lounge and cratch, it puts our side hatch looking out over water rather than being unable to open as it's right next to another boat, and I actually find it easier to get in and out of the mooring.

It does mean we have to balance along the gunwale with a gas bottle though when it runs out, it also means moving all the bags of coal along the roof, and makes filing up with water harder than it should be - all for a better view!

I agree with the poster above who said it prevents silting up. When we first moored in that spot (forwards) we had to come in quite quickly to force our way in. It was even harder reversing in the first few times, but now we just stir up some mud and that's it.

Tom

I once complained about having to get a gas cylinder to the bow on an IWA National mooring until it was pointed out to me that they float, even when full. Tie rope to top of cylinder, lower it in and walk the gunwale towing the thing.

Another consideration: if your front fender is higher than stern fender (mine is) then it could get stuck on the pontoon when water level drops. This does happen where we are, Glos & Sharpness; also pontoon is shorter than boat.

So stern first is better in my situation

I once complained about having to get a gas cylinder to the bow on an IWA National mooring until it was pointed out to me that they float, even when full. Tie rope to top of cylinder, lower it in and walk the gunwale towing the thing.

I hadn't even thought of that. I'll give that a try next time I change a cylinder.

Tom

Another consideration: if your front fender is higher than stern fender (mine is) then it could get stuck on the pontoon when water level drops. This does happen where we are, Glos & Sharpness; also pontoon is shorter than boat.

So stern first is better in my situation

Front fender should be rigged so its not possible to hang the boat up on it. For example, either so it simply flops upwards, or there's a weak link in the chain which would snap once a little bit of force is applied, thus saving the boat from sinking (in a lock, for example). We have chains but one of the links on each side is tied with cord.

Another consideration: if your front fender is higher than stern fender (mine is) then it could get stuck on the pontoon when water level drops. This does happen where we are, Glos & Sharpness; ...............

Last Winter the water level on the Trent rose by very nearly 4 feet - fortunately our pontoons are floating and just slide up the risers.

So on the G&S when the water drops you are hanging on your ropes - what happens when the level rises ?

Last Winter the water level on the Trent rose by very nearly 4 feet - fortunately our pontoons are floating and just slide up the risers.

So on the G&S when the water drops you are hanging on your ropes - what happens when the level rises ?

You adjust mooring lines as appropriate and/or moor on long lines to allow for more up-down movement on a river.

I moor stern in unless there is a gale blowing - if there is a strong wind when I leave the mooing tis easier to go out forwards.

Dave

Same here, we are at kings Bromley and have been told the wind can be a real pig, so if we arrive to go out and it is windy I can just drive straight out instead of having to do a 180° to get away. If its windy when I return I will probably come in bows first, but that has not happened yet.