Just picked up a boat, engine problems already. Please help!

boatcat

Featured Posts

My boyfriend and I have just a boat from Braunston Marina. It's our first boat so we got an engine service done by the marina before setting off.

A new fan belt was fitted but we only made it to Whilton before the engine overheated and the alternator alarm came on, the engine room looked a bit smokey. We moored up and on inspecting the engine my boyfriend found the fan belt broken on the floor and the secondary alternator belt detached and on the floor as well. The fan belt appears to have been fitted so that it chafes badly on one of the altenator mounting bolts and has therefore worn out. In addition, the broken fan belt appears old and is perishing even though it was supposed to have been replaced.

We've phoned Braunston and they were very short with us, even insinuating that we've been going too fast; this isnt the case, as newbies we've been going very slow. They aren't able to send anyone out. Our journey has already been delayed due to a faulty lock and this is just incredibly annoying, particularly as we spent £305 on an engine service. I'm dubious as to whether much that was listed in the invoice has actually been done.

We want to mount a new fan belt that doesn't chafe but are having problems.

If anyone in the area is able to lend a hand I would be incredibly grateful. We're currently moored just past bridge 18, a few hundred metres south of whilton marina.

Obviously it would be a lot of hassle for someone to come to our boat so I'd also be grateful if someone is willing to talk us through the process. If up you're happy to do this Pm your number and I'll call u.

Any help would be appreciated :(

I can hardly see you going too fast between Braunston and whilton, hardly above tick over for most of it. Braunston have previous for not doing paid for work I am afraid.

The chandlery at bottom lock may have replacement belts, take old belt with you, do you have any tools on board. What is the engine??

Please please please when you've sorted the immediate problem, sue them. It's about time they were stopped. They have done this kind of thing before

Take lots of pictures, not only of the fan belt but of all the other work they are supposed to have done. Post the pictures here ( ask for help if you need it ).

Write down, as near word for word as you can, the phone call as this is also evidence.

The engine is a beta marine bv1505.

My boyfriend has now put on a fan belt. There was a new one left in the engine room, they obviously couldnt be bothered to fit it.

He's mounted it to the other side of the alternator bolt it was originally chafing on. However, there is still one point where the belt is touching what appears to be the calorifier outlet and there's evidence of previous chafing in this position. We can't see any obvious way to avoid this withoit repositioning the outldt. it's not ideal but it's a hell of a lot better than it was.

Hi Phil,

We've taken lots of pictures. They were supposed to change the oil filtures but they are scratched and dented, they obviously haven't been replaced.

We also paid for them to fix a fuel leak in the aft injector. I dont feel confident that they've done this.

Sorry about that^ it was supposed to be a new post but I'm typing all this on a mobile phone.

Out of curiosity how far do you have to go to get home. Of you have the time it may be worth taking the boat back there.

They can ignore your phone calls but can't ignore you causing a fuss in public in their marina.

First the alternator problem - I think this must be quite common on the beta 1505 if the wrong size fan belt is fitted. I had the same issue until I fitted a longer belt. Maybe if you posted a photo of the mountings it would help.

Second £305 seems expensive for just a service and the work doesn't seem to have been 'fit for purpose' I would contact Trading Standards for advice.

I bought my boat from there.

Two weeks later...it nearly sank !

They had carried out work on the stern gear...and had not put the two nuts and bolts back..that held the stern tube to a cross member. As a result..I reversed and the tube unscrewed itself from the hull leaving a two inch hole with the prop shaft down the middle !!

The water poured in..and I had to dive down upside down....find the stern tube..and screw it back into the hole against the flow.

They were dismissive of my rather 'irate' phone call...and said the nuts and bolts must have shaken loose.

They were amazing nuts and bolts...as after I had drained all of the water....they were never found in the bottom of the bilge !!

Must have slipped into some kind of paralle universe !

I bought my boat from there.

Two weeks later...it nearly sank !

They had carried out work on the stern gear...and had not put the two nuts and bolts back..that held the stern tube to a cross member. As a result..I reversed and the tube unscrewed itself from the hull leaving a two inch hole with the prop shaft down the middle !!

The water poured in..and I had to dive down upside down....find the stern tube..and screw it back into the hole against the flow.

They were dismissive of my rather 'irate' phone call...and said the nuts and bolts must have shaken loose.

They were amazing nuts and bolts...as after I had drained all of the water....they were never found in the bottom of the bilge !!

Must have slipped into some kind of paralle universe !

Thank you, that now makes it 5 people who I know of who haven't had the stern gear job done properly, or at all at Braunston.

Out of curiosity how far do you have to go to get home. Of you have the time it may be worth taking the boat back there.

They can ignore your phone calls but can't ignore you causing a fuss in public in their marina.

That is a very good idea, if they have the time, as there is nothing worse for a business than bad publicity, and the more clients they have in their place while they are complaining about the badly done job by them, the more pushed they'll be to cure the problems and get them out of their place.

Peter.

The engine is a beta marine bv1505.

My boyfriend has now put on a fan belt. There was a new one left in the engine room, they obviously couldnt be bothered to fit it.

He's mounted it to the other side of the alternator bolt it was originally chafing on. However, there is still one point where the belt is touching what appears to be the calorifier outlet and there's evidence of previous chafing in this position. We can't see any obvious way to avoid this withoit repositioning the outldt. it's not ideal but it's a hell of a lot better than it was.

Hi Phil,

We've taken lots of pictures. They were supposed to change the oil filtures but they are scratched and dented, they obviously haven't been replaced.

We also paid for them to fix a fuel leak in the aft injector. I dont feel confident that they've done this.

Sorry about that^ it was supposed to be a new post but I'm typing all this on a mobile phone.

If the engine is an earlier BV1505 rather than a later B38 and only has the one alternator the fan belt required is a 1000mm circumference and 10mm wide.

That is a very good idea, if they have the time, as there is nothing worse for a business than bad publicity, and the more clients they have in their place while they are complaining about the badly done job by them, the more pushed they'll be to cure the problems and get them out of their place.

Peter.

Unfortunately we haven't the time to go back to the marina.

Too bad, best of luck with whatever you'll have to do to get on your way again, and as most jobs like this one in reality are basicly quite easy to DIY, do as much as you can yourself, as you'll be sure that things like filters have been changed instead of only having received a touch-up with a cleaning rag.

The more you do yourself, the more money you'll safe, and the better you'll know your boat.

If you're not practical enough (yet) it may be a good investment to do an engine course with someone like Tony Brooks.

ATB,

Peter.

I must admit I'd be reluctant to take it back just in case they cause more problems. It does sound like it's time to get trading standards involved. The good thing about forums is that you can pull other people together who have had similar gripes. It's very difficult to know who you can trust at first until you start talking to people.

Another reason why we need a trip advisor type section in the absence of one I would advice ops to write letters to boat mags if Braunston do not do the right by them.

I wonder if RCR had been called out to this problem would they assist in a claim against these cowboys ?

• Greenie 1

Another reason why we need a trip advisor type section in the absence of one I would advice ops to write letters to boat mags if Braunston do not do the right by them.

I wonder if RCR had been called out to this problem would they assist in a claim against these cowboys ?

No I doubt it !, we boat a boat from New and Used at Mercia nearly 3 years ago, we paid them to have a full service but I also joined RCR as backup

3 days into our journey home the boat broke down, RCR were called out and after looking at the engine said, "You should have got it serviced before

you set off" I showed him the receipt for the service and he said well they've not changed either of your fuel filters and showed me them, they were totally

gunged up, we finally got on our way home losing several hours journey time.

When we finally got home I rang the brokers who insisted the job had been done correctly and they would speak to the mechanic, Months later after

several phone calls and emails I finally received a personal cheque from the salesman to cover the service.

They really don't want to know after they've got your money

Unfortunately the best idea is to do servicing yourself. It is bad enough getting your car serviced but at least there is plenty of choice. With boats there is limited choice and probably a presumption that if you knew about engines you would do it yourself, so if you are getting it done by a costly "professional" you don't know about it and therefore won't notice corners cut. A maintenance training course will pay dividends.

I am amazed that such a well known and reputable marina as Braunston would carry out sub-standard workmanship, or even no workmanship at all. Is Mr. Coghlan aware of this?

Perhaps members could mention the names of boatyards where servicing is done properly and honestly. I'll start the ball rolling with Fox's Marina in March, and Springwood Haven Marina near Nuneaton. Both have carried out engine work for me this year and it has been satisfactory.

How do you know who to ask to service your boat engine so that it will be done properly? This all sounds scary.

You ask on here for recommendations and also ask other boaters but I would trust the replies on here rather more. However no "professional" is likely to take the time to empty and possibly cut filters open and such like. In my view it is far better if you are able to learn how to do it yourself. RCR offer their members an "on your boat" service training and also if a member books a service the engineers are usually perfectly happy for you to watch them. They often explain what is going on as well. I no longer run the courses but the RCR two day courses are based on my course so would be a good investment in my view.

How do you know who to ask to service your boat engine so that it will be done properly? This all sounds scary.

It can be a bit of a lottery, but I think personal recommendation is the best - but not from someone who you share a lock with, or get chatting to in a pub. It needs to be someone you know fairly well, and who's judgement you respect.

I was put onto a mobile marine engineer about 15 years ago and he has always looked after our boats ever since. I trust him, both in his ability to do the job, and his honesty in advising me on work required.