Things you hope not to see too often

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

There are some sights you don't want to see too often on the waterways.

That mattress round the prop is one.

Dead bodies are always a no-no.

What about both head and tail lock gates open?

sdU9fyL.jpg

This was Johnson's Hillock bottom lock this morning.

(You let those southern softies use our waterways for a week and everything falls apart!)

(Edit for pix fix)

Edited by TheBiscuits

Time to jump on a new member! Excuse me, we southerners are not softies, that's a myth. We may be ever so polite, but underneath the surface we're well 'ard.

And here in Croydon, nobody dumps a mattress in the canal, in fact they tend to leave them on the pavement in the street where I live. What canal, I hear you ask, didn't the Croydon Canal close in 1836? Yes, but there is a very short section left in Betts Park, Anerley SE20, which unlike yours has a proper depth of water, and people respect it. I grew up near there and cannot remember ever seeing any significant rubbish in it.

Hiya!

Had both of your no-nos on our blades over time, though not with the same boat. In both cases, a docking was the only solution....neither was a pleasant experience. Fortunately, in both instances, we were close to a solution. British Waterways let us use the the dock at the junction of the Caldon for the body incident, while the mattress was acquired not far from our home yard at Norton Canes.

Excrement occurs, Sod's Law bites harder with boating than anywhere else I know.

Dave

A rare occasion when such a sight is welcome.

Approaching Denver complex as the rising tide matched the river levels offering a 10 minute window when both lock gates could be opened. It still felt wrong approaching a lock I could see through.

Denver.jpg

Ah, Mr Meggers

I hope that you don't see that centre line around the mushroom vent too often!

:)

N

Ah, Mr Meggers

I hope that you don't see that centre line around the mushroom vent too often!

:)

N

Perhaps Mr Meggers had "flicked" his centre line in readiness to use the VMs which are on his Stb side so he could visit the Jenyns Arms.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

The nearest lock to our home mooring, Lodes End lock on the Middle Level is frequently open both ends. The view through isn't that good because the top gates are left with a chain between them allowing them to move about 3 feet apart to facilitate flow "upstream" but let them close without too much of a bang if water tries to flow "downstream". It's a funny place, the Middle Level.

MP.

The nearest lock to our home mooring, Lodes End lock on the Middle Level is frequently open both ends. The view through isn't that good because the top gates are left with a chain between them allowing them to move about 3 feet apart to facilitate flow "upstream" but let them close without too much of a bang if water tries to flow "downstream". It's a funny place, the Middle Level.

MP.

So 70 footers can explore beyond Lodes End provided the levels are right. I didn't know that.

A rare occasion when such a sight is welcome.

Approaching Denver complex as the rising tide matched the river levels offering a 10 minute window when both lock gates could be opened. It still felt wrong approaching a lock I could see through.

Denver.jpg

is it just me or can anybody else see the pretty landscape picture on the lock?

I think most locks that join tidal waters tend to open when the tide is on the same level as the non tidal I often see the big locks the other end of bristol docks open for an hour when the tides are on the level they tend to be as much about flood prevention and controlling levels as just letting people come and go oh and murflynn lovely looking boat is that a recent pic as it looks very familiar ? I travel along the feeder on a weekly basis when I weigh my scrap in at manor scrap just along from were you are moored and think I may have seen you

murflynn lovely looking boat is that a recent pic as it looks very familiar ? I travel along the feeder on a weekly basis when I weigh my scrap in at manor scrap just along from were you are moored and think I may have seen you

????? I haven't posted a picture of my boat.

is it just me or can anybody else see the pretty landscape picture on the lock?

Looking at the photo on my BB, and yes I can just make out what appears to be a landscape on the raised guillotine gate, in reality its probably just assorted silt, weed and general crap.

Phil

Looking at the photo on my BB, and yes I can just make out what appears to be a landscape on the raised guillotine gate, in reality its probably just assorted silt, weed and general crap.

Phil

tsk...no romance in your soul? I can see a rainy sky above clouds over the trees and a cottage roof under the trees laugh.png

So 70 footers can explore beyond Lodes End provided the levels are right. I didn't know that.

They can, but if course they take the risk that by the time they want to return, the levels have changed.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa