Unusual or Comical Boat Names - The Best and Worst

Hanzbebe

Featured Posts

There is no such thing as a 'comical' boat name.

Once you've seen the boat called "Sloake Hunt" and yawned with embarrassment and disappointment at the crassness and stupidity of some of your fellow boaters, killing yourself seems a good option.

MtB

Absolutely spot on.

There is no such thing as a 'comical' boat name.

MtB

I can't agree. Some boats' names make me chuckle each time I see them. A case in point was the little narrowboat somewhere on the Coventry which had a snail painted on the side and which was called 'Brian'. (Those too young to remember the children's TV series 'The Magic Roundabout' may not understand this).

I'm also amused by the drily frank humour of names like 'Legacy' and 'Inheritance'. I have yet to see boats names Ernie, Littlewood's or Bank Robbery though.

Edited by Athy

Of course it does. You display a licence. It includes the index number. Ergo, you are displaying the index number.

Licence condition 7.1:

You must display the Boat’s name, index number and the Licence on both sides of the Boat so that they are always easily visible by our employees on the towpath or on the Waterway. If you do not, we may place a sticker on the Boat or on any cover on the Boat showing the number, which must not be removed unless the number is displayed in some other way.

So the licence is in addition to the display of name and number. Presumably this goes back to the pre hand held days and was needed to show the patrol officer that the licence referred to the boat it was displayed on. These days, only the number is needed. It depends how you think of your boat, I guess, whether you feel that giving and displaying her name is important

Licence condition 7.1:

You must display the Boat’s name, index number and the Licence on both sides of the Boat so that they are always easily visible by our employees on the towpath or on the Waterway. If you do not, we may place a sticker on the Boat or on any cover on the Boat showing the number, which must not be removed unless the number is displayed in some other way.

Yes? In what way is this at variance with what I said, or are you simply agreeing with me?

So the licence is in addition to the display of name and number.

No, it is not.

Saw the "TWO OR BARN" on the Oxford the other day. It had a picture of a barn with oars. I thought it quite clever. (anag)

So what's the anagram then?!

There is a missing letter 'a' for the one I imagine you mean...

But going back a step, I don't understand why people feel the need to make up 'clever' or 'amusing' names in the first place. What's wrong with just calling your boat something straight, e.g. REGINALD, or TAWNY OWL?

MtB

The name and number on the licence is indeed easily visible -- but you might have to get quite close. No reading distance is specified.

Reading is not mentioned. It says "visible", not "legible", in the regulations.

It depends how you think of your boat, I guess, whether you feel that giving and displaying her name is important

Our boat's called "Reflection" which is a frankly terrible name - the people we bought the boat from (who lived on it for 10 years) bought it from an optician, apparently. They painted it when they bought it but put no name on because they hated Reflection but couldn't agree on another. 15 years on from that we've also failed to agree on anything name related other than hating the name Reflection, it's getting it's third paint job since we've owned it next week. 25 years with no name displayed other than on the licence.

But going back a step, I don't understand why people feel the need to make up 'clever' or 'amusing' names in the first place. What's wrong with just calling your boat something straight, e.g. REGINALD, or TAWNY OWL?

MtB

Because they can perhaps????

Ours is called what it is because the first owner ran a boarding kennels in Somerset (it was originally based on the K&A), I think it was quite apt and I have no wish to change it because it's a good conversation starter both with other boaters, gongoozlers and it's even been know to interest and attract comment from the occasional fisherman.

Plus of course it does normally 'house' a dog so it's factually correct too.....

Edited by The Dog House

I think some boat names are funny.

But the Sloke thing is just plain rude and unpleasant IMO

Agreed.

We came across 'The Saucy Mrs Flobster' a couple of years ago at Chirk. The name still makes us laugh. laugh.png

There is an old gag that goes something like this:

Judge, to barrister : "But is your client familiar with < reels off a long list of legal Latin >?"

Barrister : "In Barnsley M'lud they talk of little else"

When we were buying our boat we must have bored the backsides off our (non boating) friends as we talked of little else. If we were looking for a name for a boat it would have to be that.

As it is a lot of people think the name 'Red Wharf' is a play on the TV series Red Dwarf but it isn't. The people who had the boat built run the pub at Red Wharf Bay in Anglesey. So I suppose we should have 'Red Wharf' on one side and 'Treath Coch' on the other.

Prynhawn da.

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

Yes? In what way is this at variance with what I said, or are you simply agreeing with me?

No, it is not.

I agree that you are making a valid argument, but I don't agree that that was/is the intent of the condition for the reason I gave (validating the use of the licence for that boat). If simply displaying the licence satisfied the requirement, there would be no need to specify that the name and number should be shown separately.

As it is, it just demonstrates the sloppy way the Ts and Cs are formulated.

Anyway, this is way off topic and scarcely worth pursuing.

I wish I had a fiver for every wit who has asked me "Shouldn't that be Insanity?" To which my stock reply these days is "Guess what our first boat was called.) (She was Sanity).

I think there are 8 Comfortably Numb's including ours, of which I've seen 3 of them.

As well as an 'Ummagumma' there was a 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' I saw near Middlewhich a couple of years ago.

Recently we needed to cover up some old sign writing and (this will only be understood by Floyd fans) I wanted to have 'Is there anybody in there?' on one side and 'Is there anybody out there?' on the other side. But the wife was dead against it unfortunately.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn now moored at Wrenbury.

As it is, it just demonstrates the sloppy way the Ts and Cs are formulated.

Anyway, this is way off topic and scarcely worth pursuing.

Your first point I entirely agree with.

The second point is, I think, up to individual posters to decide.

So what's the anagram then?!

There is a missing letter 'a' for the one I imagine you mean...

MtB

Surely "Reginald" is comedy name?

Our boat is "Amber Rose Too"(because our first was "Amber Rose") and you would be amazed how many people who've said "that's not how you spell TWO" I thenhave to explain that TOO means also.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose