How safe is it to leave a genny running whilst away from the boat...

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

You can make your own wind generator Doodle. Find a lowish output alternator with a pulley. From a large sheet of say 3mm thick aluminium cut out a multi blade turbine of about 3 or four feet diameter, drill and bolt it to the pulley then bolt it all onto a nice tall swivel stick. An aluminium vane attached at the alternators back will keep it facing the wind.

The ally blades are easily twisted to experiment finding the ideal pitch and power. closedeyes.gif

You can make your own wind generator Doodle. Find a lowish output alternator with a pulley. From a large sheet of say 3mm thick aluminium cut out a multi blade turbine of about 3 or four feet diameter, drill and bolt it to the pulley then bolt it all onto a nice tall swivel stick. An aluminium vane attached at the alternators back will keep it facing the wind.

The ally blades are easily twisted to experiment finding the ideal pitch and power. closedeyes.gif

You could of course make a whopper with a 175amp alternator, but the size of the turbine would call for a very stout stiff and stayed stick.

Just a thought for you. Can you remove part of the battery bank or add extra batteries? If so could they be charged at work or elsewhere? The idea only came about as I used to run a pub. We had a regular who lived on a boat for a while while his house was being renovated. He used to drop them off one evening and collect them the next. Often bought a pint or the odd meal and didn't happen every day but in winter it meant charged batteries and no petrol for the generator. May not suit but just an idea.

Now there's a good idea. I remember my father telling me about when he was a lad and took the accumulator from the family's wireless set to the radio shop to be charged.

Very interesting. Are you saying you now have a generator locker, like a gas locker, in which to run your genny? Or is it just for storage?

I have yet to identify a portable genny suitable for running inside a compartment in a boat. Have you found such a thing, the Holy Grail? Bigcol will be VERY interested as will many other boaters here.

MtB

Storage only, would never run it on the boat. Its seldom used coz we got 650 watts of solar, but its always good to have a plan B. I'll take photos when I can.

Only when you are not there and, therefore, the same as solar.

But the big difference is is doesn't have sparks, and petrol and stuff.

Another is that it's on the end of a long pole, so fairly far from other combustible stuff.

After all, the main application for small wind turbines is on rag and stick yachts, granted they usually have lots of water about, but if they were a significant fire risk, the insurance companies would effectively (by unaffordable premiums) outlaw them. On Sumitra, a Trident 24 sailing boat, the wind genny was the only way I could keep the nav lights alight all night. I think, typically, it was never switched off - and it never caught fire.

Roger

This is of interest to me. Could you give a bit more detail of the locker you had installed?

Many thanks.

Hi Cat.

Many years ago I had a Honda generator with a gas conversion regulator. The generator sat in what was effectively a gas locker in the back of a semi-trad. The exhaust was extended with a bit of bent pipe to stick out of the gas locker low level vent.

The generator ran fine and with the lid of the locker on (with an air intake vent) was nearly silent and it didn't seem to overheat (I have a feeling that they run a bit cooler when fed LPG rather than petrol).

This was pre-BSC days, but I am sure it could be modified easily if not compliant with current regs.

Ours is built as part of the semi trad deck - there is a hole in the bottom of the locker and a hose that goes downwards and then out of the side of the hull. He even welded me some fixing points inside in so I can chain the genny up with the motorcycle chain.

i just thought, 'better safe than sorry' after the insurers failed to pay out after a couple of boat fires up here so I got Dean to do it (DW Mechanical Handling in Harlow), because he's also a BSS inspector.

Edited by Lady Muck

I think the simplest answer to Doodlebugs question is. No, it wouldn't be wise to leave a generator running unattended.

Solution. More batteries, this would require less charging during the week, but weekends may be taken up with long charging times.

A "Bizzard" solution may be to moor up under a street light. Solar power 24/7.

Bod

I think the simplest answer to Doodlebugs question is. No, it wouldn't be wise to leave a generator running unattended.

Solution. More batteries, this would require less charging during the week, but weekends may be taken up with long charging times.

Bod

unsure.png My solution is post 77. closedeyes.gif

Bod

I disagree that more batteries is the way to go. Otherwise the batteries are just left discharged for longer leaving them to die quicker.

I am exploring alternatives and blizzards wind turbine is not a bad idea. About to post another topic about wind turbines (sorry it just keeps it neat on the forum!)

I think you probably need to sort the basics out, like other people have said. Can't understand why your solar isn't enough for your fridge. We are fine with ours (3 leisures, 650watt solar, 12v shoreline fridge). I would forget a wind genny, really not worth it in London, seriously.

Yes we had one. it was up a 15 foot scaffold mast on the bankside, it's very windy on our mooring, but the elec we got was negligable and the noise distrubed us and our neighbours. If you have one on the boat it'll drive you nuts.

Do you defrost your fridge often? Do you keep it full?

Oh and our leisure batteries are 7 years old too. smile.png

ETA, I would always err on the side of the caution with gennies - I would not create a situation for myself where there is a risk of something going badly wrong, leaving a genny going, that's just too much risk for me, I don't run mine on my boat either.

Like others say, I would be approaching this from the opposite direction -if you use laptops onboard, replace with lower voltage or something with a longer battery life that can be charged at work every day, consider using tablet/ipad for long battery life.

I won't do without a fridge onboard and agree with you about not living like you're in a tent if you don't have to, but we have both changed the way we use and charge our tech so that we don't cane our batteries (we both use tech onboard all day most days)

Edited by Lady Muck

I think you probably need to sort the basics out, like other people have said. Can't understand why your solar isn't enough for your fridge. We are fine with ours (3 leisures, 650watt solar, 12v shoreline fridge). I would forget a wind genny, really not worth it in London, seriously.

Yes we had one. it was up a 15 foot scaffold mast on the bankside, it's very windy on our mooring, but the elec we got was negligable and the noise distrubed us and our neighbours. If you have one on the boat it'll drive you nuts.

Do you defrost your fridge often? Do you keep it full?

Yes I know I have lots to sort out but the solar wont do anything in winter. And the wind turbine would be for paddington basin which was a wind tunnel. It was constantly windy all winter and there were only a handful of days when the one the boat next to us had was not spinning.

Temporarily given up on the fridge until I can sort out the solar and batteries. I need to give the batteries a kicking and check the connections of the solar panels to check they are all working ok. I haven't checked them in two years and have taken them off 3 times so there could be connection issues.

........... check the connections of the solar panels to check they are all working ok. I haven't checked them in two years and have taken them off 3 times so there could be connection issues.

I know of a man that can let you have 200w monocrystalline solar panels only £224 (he might even do you a discount)

I know of a man that can let you have 200w monocrystalline solar panels only £224 (he might even do you a discount)

Haha so do I! What I mean is that the connections to the solar panels were done 3 years ago using crimps and has all been taped up. The panels have been moved whilst still connected and connections could have wiggled loose. Also I discovered one panel the soldered connection on the inside of the little black box had popped off. I've sorted that but theres no telling how everything else has faired over the years.

Fridge shouldn't need much in winter time, make use of cool air from bilge if need be.

Why not ask your neighbours what they prefer when the time comes. If it comes to it run genny a bit in the morning and then evening too if solar hasn't caught up in the daytime.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

He may be married to her

Richard

She may be married to him...

Fridge shouldn't need much in winter time, make use of cool air from bilge if need be.

When the outside temperature is 4degC or less, you don't need a fridge at all, just a convenient box outside.

Invest in a thermometer!

Not going to happen! For a start we run it on the generator. Although sometimes I put it on rinse mode and pour a kettle of boiling water into it and a tablet and it washes things fine. Uses about 3 amps for 15 minutes. Not bad.

Is that at 240 volts or 12 volts, because I can't imagine 36 watts doing much not even spinning the arms

Not going to happen! For a start we run it on the generator. Although sometimes I put it on rinse mode and pour a kettle of boiling water into it and a tablet and it washes things fine. Uses about 3 amps for 15 minutes. Not bad.

Is that at 240 volts or 12 volts, because I can't imagine 36 watts doing much not even spinning the arms

Sorry blame Three for not going first time, but it did.

Edited by ditchcrawler