Braunston this weekend.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

How busy will it be mooring wise?

ian

I put this on Junior's thread about moorings in Braunston at the Festival a few weeks ago.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67314&p=1329265

Virtually impossible I would say - or be prepared to do a very long walk.

Edited by Catrin

I arrived Monday evening and it was packed then already. I found a space on the pub mooring for night and then moved round onto the puddlebanks yesterday morning.

There is 'no mooring' (unless you are a historic boat) between the locks and Braunston Turn.

You can moor from Braunston Turn onwards on the North Oxford (14 days), however on Tuesday this was full for a considerable distance already.

You can moor from Braunston Turn down towards Wigrams, although the first 100m up to the brick bridge are always no mooring. I am the first boat after that bridge and yesterday there was quite a bit of space beyond me, although be warned you can't get right into the bank and will need to use the plank.

If you want to know anything else or an update on space, give me a shout.

What's happening at Braunston this weekend then?

ninja.gif

MtB

Dunno, I heard that some boaters are forming a blockade and obstructing the canal, probably to show Nick Brown how it's really done. I also understand that most of the boats will be generic copies of Triggers broom having had almost total replacement therapy over the years. rolleyes.gif

I also understand that most of the boats will be generic copies of Triggers broom having had almost total replacement therapy over the years. rolleyes.gif

If you care to come along and make yourself known to us, I'll be more than happy to show you just how much of ours is still what W. J. Yarwood & Sons first riveted together in 1936.

(More of it than it seems you probably imagine?)

Dunno, I heard that some boaters are forming a blockade and obstructing the canal, probably to show Nick Brown how it's really done. I also understand that most of the boats will be generic copies of Triggers broom having had almost total replacement therapy over the years. :rolleyes:

Blockade and mooring restrictions terrible, hope everybody has a good weekend. We are travelling south and plan to get to the edge of Braunston Sunday so hopefully we can get through Monday morning.

If you care to come along and make yourself known to us, I'll be more than happy to show you just how much of ours is still what W. J. Yarwood & Sons first riveted together in 1936.

(More of it than it seems you probably imagine?)

Thanks for the offer, however I will be many miles away, and doubt that I could moor within walking distance even if I got there. Passing interest is not really a possibility with current organisation of this event.

As to authentic boatwomen, the one I'm married to suits me just fine,

There is nothing to really attract me to such an event, otherwise I would obviously go there.

I sincerely hope that the people who are interested in such boats have a great time there and don't get too introspective about their boats rivets.

Thanks for the offer, however I will be many miles away, and doubt that I could moor within walking distance even if I got there. Passing interest is not really a possibility with current organisation of this event.

As to authentic boatwomen, the one I'm married to suits me just fine,

There is nothing to really attract me to such an event, otherwise I would obviously go there.

I sincerely hope that the people who are interested in such boats have a great time there and don't get too introspective about their boats rivets.

Queer innit.... Those of us who are many many miles away, too far to travel in a reasonable time by car or boat would love to pitch up and enjoy the occasion.

It is unfortunately a fact of life that if you don't own a historic boat it is rather easier to attend this one by car than by boat!

It's hard to know how it can be otherwise, when the event has in the past attracted "historics" into treble figures in numbers, and most of them are full length - it couldn't happen without taking over somewhat, (which I appreciate will upset some other canal users not interested in "old boat" events).

An event where loads of old boats will be present, but casual mooring nearby by any boat is rather easier will be the Alvecote one on 23rd to 25th August - we have not had trouble accommodating our "non-historic" there, so one to consider by people who miht bring a boat along, (as I know a lot of forum members have done for at least the last 2 years).

The Audlem "Festival of Transport" event also claims to have plenty of nearby moorings for all, but I have never been to that one to know what it is like in practice.