I used to like the idea of horseboating

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Why do some owners /operators of historic boats think the rules and general courtesy don't apply to them?

Traditionalists play by different rules - they get 10% discount on their licence and look down their noses at everyone else.

That's why they always look so smug. glare.gif

Traditionalists play by different rules - they get 10% discount on their licence and look down their noses at everyone else.

Generalisations R us!

'Some' traditionalists, not all.

What sort of a word is that anyway??!!

MtB

That's why they always look so smug. :glare:

Yes, and all widebeams never go anywhere....

I don't get a discount on a CRT licence, because my boat's converted, and I don't look down my nose at anyone.

Yes, and all widebeams never go anywhere....

I don't get a discount on a CRT licence, because my boat's converted, and I don't look down my nose at anyone.

That's odd, because I get the historicalist discount and only two thirds of my bote is pre 1900. The rest is only 44 years old, including the conversion

I look up to blackrose, because he has a widebeam

:)

That's odd, because I get the historicalist discount and only two thirds of my bote is pre 1900. The rest is only 44 years old, including the conversion

I look up to blackrose, because he has a widebeam

:)

They are very inconsistent with the discount, something HNBC are trying to standardise. I would probably get it with an undercloth conversion!

I just though before anyone has a pop & grasses me up ;-), I'll just mention that Alton is currently moored up on the waterpoint in Middlewich town pound. I've been told to moor here during the Folk & Boat Festival w/e. Boaters are very welcome to tie up abreast of us for water or there are water points at the Junction or below Big lock.

If this causes any problems, just knock on & we'll sort something out.

Cheers, Brian

You can be a complete arse sometimes, Mike!

There are some people in all different categories of canal boaters that can give others who enjoy the same type of boats a bad name, and historic boating is no better or worse in this respect than many others. Rightly or wrongly, Sue Day enjoys a certain reputation, as this thread shows, but that doesn't mean we all deserve the same.

I meet wide-beam owners acting like complete and smug tossers, (presumably because they also get a discounted license due to the anomaly where CRT charge only by length). Should I conclude that all wide-beam owners are like this? Well frankly I don't know, because most of them never go anywhere, do they?

• Greenie 1

I just though before anyone has a pop & grasses me up ;-), I'll just mention that Alton is currently moored up on the waterpoint in Middlewich town pound. I've been told to moor here during the Folk & Boat Festival w/e. Boaters are very welcome to tie up abreast of us for water or there are water points at the Junction or below Big lock.

If this causes any problems, just knock on & we'll sort something out.

Cheers, Brian

Told by whom, as a matter of interest? I think the arrangements during something like that festival are a bit of a "special case" - it's not like you are leaving the boat unattended there for 2 weeks (hopefully!). I would just say that it's a little dangerous to presume that it's OK because there are another 2 water points in the vicinity. It will just take 2 other boaters with the same view and suddenly, there are zero free water points in the vicinity.

Perhaps a sign on the side of the boat saying "breast up to use the water point" would be helpful?

Told by whom, as a matter of interest? I think the arrangements during something like that festival are a bit of a "special case" - it's not like you are leaving the boat unattended there for 2 weeks (hopefully!). I would just say that it's a little dangerous to presume that it's OK because there are another 2 water points in the vicinity. It will just take 2 other boaters with the same view and suddenly, there are zero free water points in the vicinity.

Perhaps a sign on the side of the boat saying "breast up to use the water point" would be helpful?

Told by Sue Day, presumably...

ninja.gif

MtB

Sorry Nick, I know I should have run it by the self styled waterpoint police first ;-)

I thought Hudson's were allowed to moor on water points anyway.....certainly the few I've come across seem to imply they had a god given right to stay there while they had lunch/did the washing/walked the dog etc.....

I wouldn't be throwing too many stones and generalising about certain boating types...

Cheers

Gareth

I thought Hudson's were allowed to moor on water points anyway.....certainly the few I've come across seem to imply they had a god given right to stay there while they had lunch/did the washing/walked the dog etc.....

Yes, you are quite correct there, we have permission from god himself Sir Steve of Glascote.

When we arrived at Wheelock on Monday night, as well as Maria, another modern boat was tied up for the night on the service / water point bollards. I didn't feel the need to rant about though ;-)

What I did want to rant about is that as usual the shower at the services was out of order, it seems CRT Manchester & Pennines place a very low priority on maintaining or repairing these customer services! Grrrrr! RANT ;-) OT

Probably shower's been out of action since we went through there a month ago - did report it at the time - annoying

I think the issue here is that the boat is Maria, it was on a water point for a week, and it was left there by the Horse Boating Society. They are either setting a bad example to others, or setting themselves above the rules: or possibly both.

I will admit I didn't know until this thread that Maria didn't belong to the HBS.

As for private correspondence, I'm chairman of a canal society, if I were to send an email in that capacity I have to accept that I am speaking on behalf of the canal society and the correspondence may be published. Clearly if I sent a private email about something that was nothing to do with the society that is a different matter.

Picking up on another point in Sue Day's email, I would say that whoever at CRT resisted opening motorcycle barriers for the HBS needs "re-educating": that is an instance where the HBS should receive special treatment, as it is integral to their work that they have distinct requirements. They need towpath barriers opening, they don't need to moor on water points.

Fair points. In this electronic age we probably have to accept that anything put in writing may be forwarded or uploaded to websites.

So polite question not answered, a personal attack instead. Hmmmm!

Not the emoticon in the post to which this is an answer.

N

They are very heavy, its true but I think only the ones that grazed near roads pre-80s are made of lead. But you are right, even the lead ones are not driven, they are led.

Traditionally they were driven. Vintage pics seem to show them being lead, but that is slightly misleading as the horseman would always hold the horses bridle while the pic was being taken, partly so he's in it and also to keep the horses head still because of longer exposure times back then. You really wouldn't want to be leading a horse through a bridgehole, and besides, you can't steer a horse effectively while leading it.

They even build contraptions that dragged behind the horse mimicking the sound of footstep so the horse thought there was someone behind him, and didn't stop to nibble.

Didn't think I had? Except Hudsons of course.

That's strange, this whole thread started with your comment "some HISTORIC boaters".

I know you have the word "some" but I still maintain the word "historic" is totally redundant if you wish to give the impression of not typecasting one sort of boater.

George ex nb Alton retired