Scary Manchester!

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Currently tied up in Bugsworth Basin at the end of the Peak forest, contemplating how to return to Fazeley. I must say Bugsworth is fascinating (and very tranquil with the calming roar of the A6 the other side of the trees!). Anyway, I suppose we should go back via Manchester but as we all know, there be dragons etc. Our Nicholsons is 2000 vintage and of course the Rochdale is in private ownership, the HNC is an unnavigable ditch etc.

My question - the archaic Nicholsons mentions a "Leeds and Liverpool style anti-vandal key". Is this the same as eg the anti vandal key as used on the BCN, or something else?

The Marple flight looks lovely, really looking forward to that bit, at least...

We went that way a couple of years ago.

The key is, as other posts have said, the standard 1/4" square female socket, but.......................................................................

The locks are nothing like the insert, twist and ping to unlock, push to relock a la BCN. They are in the form of a screw that holds the lock together. This needs to be unscrewed to unlock and the reverse to lock. HORRIBLE!!

Add that to hydraulic paddle gear and you realise how quick and efficient a standard BCN lock is.

ENJOY (not)

mad.gif

Nick, Manchester isn't scary at all.

I must admit we put the route off for a good while but we have now been up and down from Marple to Manchester a good few times.

Marple flight is lovely, good moorings can be found just before Hyde Bank tunnel on the LPF, then 3 hour cruise to Portland Basin, good place to stop with a great museum and good brekky in the cafe the following morning.

A left onto the Ashton canal which is mixed with industrial and rural (earlier problems have been some what alleviated by demolishing a scroats estate), we find it delightful, then overnight in Piccadilly Basin (secure, ask a resident for the key code to get in and out) then on to the Rochdale nine in the morning for an experience. Depending who is there depends how interesting or not it may be closedeyes.gif.

The locks can be difficult if you are impatient as most have no by-pass channels. Then you can settle in to Castlefield for a few days, take advantage of the free buses circumnavigating the city. When you have had enough its all lock free cruising to Preston Brook whilst you recover. Enjoy.

Regards

Roger

Before you leave Bugsworth try to find time to walk up the hills and explore the old limestone quarries.

You can usually stay extra days if you make a small donation. I believe £5 is the "going rate" but we met someone who only gave £1 !

..........Dave

Nickorman - currently moored on.the 'arm' of Bugsworth, it's Whaley Water Festival this weekend and should be good; you can walk up.the towpath and up to Whaley Bridge Basin - they are opening the old terminus building this weekend as well.

Lots of lovely walks, including one which takes you round the reservoir which feeds the Peak Forest Canal. Nb Alton will be up Saturday if you need any supplies.

Do say hello - banter is always good - we came through Manchester three weeks ago; prefer to stop st the bottom of the Ashton Canal (about two minutes from Piccadilly Station) - the vandal key, you will need for the swing bridge just before Portland Basin and if you are stopping there, moor up before you turn as the moorings on the Basin are rubbish, rings are nearly in the cut.

There is an Elsan Point at the top of the Ashton Flight (in the CRT building with the Fairfield Junction sign on it) they are new toilet as well.

In Castlefield, moor further round to the left, or you just get goose guano all over - the Elsan & water point are on your right on.the way out, just past the restaurant trip boats.

Down the Bridgewater, moor just after Bridge 30, there is a little path next to the sub station and an Aldi is just at the top of the road, opposite B&Q.

It's a nice run and we moored in Dunham Massey - that's a nice area - if you need wood, there's a place just before Bridge 30 - flood plain, with loads of beech.

We had a lovely journey through Manchester, second time in nine months and no trouble apart from a piece of Harris fencing blocking the gate in Lock 88 on the Rochdale. (oh and watch out for the shoals of condoms under Piccadilly One!)

Edited by StarUKKiwi

We went that way a couple of years ago.

The key is, as other posts have said, the standard 1/4" square female socket, but.......................................................................

The locks are nothing like the insert, twist and ping to unlock, push to relock a la BCN. They are in the form of a screw that holds the lock together. This needs to be unscrewed to unlock and the reverse to lock. HORRIBLE!!

Add that to hydraulic paddle gear and you realise how quick and efficient a standard BCN lock is.

ENJOY (not)

mad.gif

This is true! The normal key, but not normal locks -- and they do take a while to undo and do back up again.

When we did this is September, we did from Bugsworth right down almost to Portland Basin in one day, mooring just past the lift bridge. We had every sort of weather that day, starting the Marple locks in warm sunshine, and ending them in torrential rain. Blog post here.

The following day we did the Ashton down as far as Piccadilly Village -- excellent moorings in the little basin there, just ask a resident for the gate code if you want to go out (very convenient for central Manchester). Blog here.

Then we set off early the next day to do the Rochdale 9, which tend to fill up overnight. We'd expected a couple of other boats to set off very early (they'd beaten us down the Ashton the day before), but their guidebook said the Rochdale 9 didn't open until 9am, which isn't true these days. We've stopped at Castlefield in the past, where there are good moorings, but on this occasion we carried on to Lymm. Blog here.

If you get a chance, say hello to Ruth and mark off wandering duck, the hotel/hostel boat. I fitted their solar.

They do all the routes round there on a regular basis and will be able to tell you the best ways and times to travel.

Thanks for all the good advice folks. Looks like we'll have to do it then... Off to Portland basin tomorrow. Sat (dreadful wx forecast) short day to Piccadilly, thence onwards and outwards on Sunday - have to be back at Fazeley Sunday afternoon (the following week -obviously!)

One more question, we are getting a bit low on diesel. With nb Alton nowhere to be seen and a dearth of marinas selling diesel on the Peak Forest, any suggestions for diesel in Manchester?

Edited by nicknorman

One more question, we are getting a bit low on diesel. With nb Alton nowhere to be seen and a dearth of marinas selling diesel on the Peak Forest, any suggestions for diesel in Manchester?

NB Alton will be leaving Fools Nook today heading in your direction on its weekend run to Buggie and back.

George ex nb Alton retired

The only dragons I encountered where on the Ashton into Piccadilly (although travelling the other way) in the form of school kids leaping across locks and your boat. Avoid any time they may be around. Be aware of sunken appliances under footbridges as well!

This is true! The normal key, but not normal locks -- and they do take a while to undo and do back up again.

A battery powered electric screwdriver is a most useful tool in your armoury! You will need to make up an adaptor to 1/4 square.

NB Alton will be leaving Fools Nook today heading in your direction on its weekend run to Buggie and back.

Thanks George, I suspect that means we will miss them because we will be at Marple in 2 hrs. I phoned but they must be out of signal, I left a message.

Nickorman - you can get diesel at Portland Basin Marina - on the right just before the aqueduct at Portland Basin. (0161 330 3133)

I have written about places to moor in and around Manchesterr here:
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/faq.htm#manchester2

(The preceding answer on that page may also help to alleviate any fears you may still have of Manchester being 'scary'!)

Edited by MartinClark

You might get diesel st Portland Basin at the marina

Nickorman - you can get diesel at Portland Basin Marina - on the right just before the aqueduct at Portland Basin. (0161 330 3133)

I have written about places to moor in and around Manchesterr here:http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/faq.htm#manchester2

(The preceding answer on that page may also help to alleviate any fears you may still have of Manchester being 'scary'!)

Thanks both. Martin, your piece about Manchester is very helpful, thanks.

I have written about places to moor in and around Manchesterr here:http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/faq.htm#manchester2

You don't mention the towpath moorings at The Watch House Cruising Club at Stretford. Pretty safe for an overnight in the 3 years I've been here.

You can also get diesel at Furness Vale Marina, or you could last October. Moorings at Sale are OK too with Tesco, Sainsburys and Aldi all in easy walking distance or an M & S food if you want to go upmarket.

If you moor at Piccadilly there is also an Aldi there.

You can also get diesel at Furness Vale Marina, or you could last October. Moorings at Sale are OK too with Tesco, Sainsburys and Aldi all in easy walking distance or an M & S food if you want to go upmarket.

If you moor at Piccadilly there is also an Aldi there.