Speeding day boats

Featured Posts

I remember once trying to explain to someone how the outside of a wheel is moving faster than a point on the hub....gave up in the end , it just wasn't worth the effort. There was no way he could ever grasp the concept

I remember once trying to explain to someone how the outside of a wheel is moving faster than a point on the hub....gave up in the end , it just wasn't worth the effort. There was no way he could ever grasp the concept

Flanged railway wheels are even more fun

Richard

A fly was travelling by train, the train was travelling at 125 mph, the fly decide he wanted to get there quicker so left his seat and flew in the same direction as the train was travelling.

Train speed 125 mph, fly could fly at 10 mph, so fly was travelling at 135 mph and reached his destination before the the train.

I get the bus to work each morning. Most mornings I sit on a seat on the bus and it goes up a hill. One day, I decide to sit at the back, but as the bus starts climbing the hill, I change my mind and I get up out of my seat, and walk 'up' the bus and sit in a front seat. Because of the hill, the floor of the bus is not level, its effectively uphill, and I've used up energy swapping seats. Has the bus used less energy to ascend the hill and saved a tiny bit of diesel?

I get the bus to work each morning. Most mornings I sit on a seat on the bus and it goes up a hill. One day, I decide to sit at the back, but as the bus starts climbing the hill, I change my mind and I get up out of my seat, and walk 'up' the bus and sit in a front seat. Because of the hill, the floor of the bus is not level, its effectively uphill, and I've used up energy swapping seats. Has the bus used less energy to ascend the hill and saved a tiny bit of diesel?

LOLOL, congratulations, think you may have just solved the impending energy crisis. All thats needed now is to train the human race to do everything in sync and jobs a good un icecream.gif

Back to speeding day boats. Quite why this happens is beyond me. I'm about to buy a day boat myself. It has a solid bar welded to the control box preventing the boat going over about 3mph. Not only does this save fuel but it must surely reduce damage caused by inexperienced (OK, and maybe pissed) day boaters when they inevitably crash into other boats. Can't understand any boat operator not having a robust limiter fitted.

I think I know the boat you are talking about.

Two little pointers which may assist you.

Make sure you instruct hirers NOT to get her going too fast astern. The attempt to stop rearward progress with the speed limited forward gear can be quite disconcerting.

Secondly, unless it has been modified, enterprising hirers have been known to "adjust" the speed stop bar with the supplied windlass! You may wish to stiffen it up.

Best of luck with you new venture, see you on the system.

George ex nb Alton retired

LOLOL, congratulations, think you may have just solved the impending energy crisis. All thats needed now is to train the human race to do everything in sync and jobs a good un icecream.gif

I think I read somewhere, that if all the Chinese jumped up and down at the same time they could destroy America with earthquakes etc.

I think I read somewhere, that if all the Chinese jumped up and down at the same time they could destroy America with earthquakes etc.

I read that on this forum

Richard

But the bits they can use, they must therefore use twice as often...

DOUBLE the license fee for widebeams. You know it makes sense!

MtB

But some bits they can use, they can't use from the bit they are on that they can use.

Due to the bits in between that they can't use

This displacement V water usage thing keeps coming up but I think I've finally cut the Gordian knot. lots of theoretical examples ALL of which I agree with (though Mike has missed a fundamental point) but it seems to me we over complicate the issue. In terms of water useage the whole issue of water displaced here or there is a long story of hydrodynamic boredom. The only thing that really matters is how much water is lost to the top pound? Anything else is irrelevant. Clearly the more volume of boat at the point the top gates close the less water lost to the top pound. It is of course then not so much lost as temporarily mislaid when the same boat comes up but only displaced from the top pound into the lock chamber where unless the lock is cycled empty it will be reclaimed to the top pound when the next boat enters. So, the very first boat ever to transit the lock displaced X amount which would have been lost had the lock been cycled empty and every boat since has been sloshing the same X back and forth from pound to lock chamber ever since and really the argument is close to necromancy! Don't cycle a lock empty people! You can't save water with your displacement only maintain a historic status quo.

I'm just waiting for someone to come along and construe this as racist...

Flanged railway wheels are even more fun

Richard

You are referring to the fact that part of a train is always traveling in the opposite direction to the rest of the train, I imagine?

:)

MtB