Lethal Locks

Rebotco

Featured Posts

Just finished a cruise on the K&A and sharing an unexpected experience that could easily have become a disaster.

Going down the Seend locks, no 17 I think, and sharing with a another narrowboat, about 45 footer.

Gone down about 2 ft when both boats began to tilt into the centre. Although boating through hundreds of locks in past 4 yrs, this was a new development for us both!

The lock was emptying fast and the tilt became greater, when I realised we were wedged together and slowly crushing each other as the roofs were almost touching. Fortunately my crew man doing the locking heard my yelling to drop the paddles immediately. As luck would have it, these were geared ground paddles that couldn't be instantly dropped in an emergency, and it seemed to take an age for them to both be wound down manually. By this time both boats were hanging in mid-air with the water about a foot below the bottom of the craft which were now on 15 to 20 degree angle. Equally slowly it seemed the top paddles were opened to try and refloat the boats. Eventually we were lifted sufficiently to stabilise and reverse the situation.

We both had fenders down, although they were only the 2" pipe fenders, so we lifted them and very cautiously tried again. To everyone's relief this was successful.

Fortunately no great harm was done, but it was a most salutary lesson not to take for granted the things you have been doing for years. I don't think any crockery was broken, and luckily neither had anything boiling on the cooker. Its also a good reason to ensure batteries are well strapped down.

It has since occurred to me that the refloating may have had its dangers too. If the boats were wedged such that they were unable to rise as well, water could have begun to enter via the drain holes or engine vents on the lower side of the hull. But I don't want to think about that any more!

I do wonder if that lock is maybe slightly tapered lower down - but in any event I shall not be leaving my fenders down whilst cruising again. It was only the quick action of experienced boaters that prevented a tragedy, and I do wonder what could happen to new boaters or hirers, who would have to loose valuable time trying to work what was happening and what to do about it. A slow or incorrect response could so easily become fatal.

So, hands up all those around here who still sees no problem locking with 'fenders down'...

I have had an identical incident, prior to which I too saw no problem locking with fenders down. Changed my mind pretty damned quickly.

MtB

Rebotco, scary indeed - glad you were paying attention and got it sorted

Also serves as a warning: all canals are subtly different and the K and A locks are a couple of inches narrower than say the Grand Union ones - it doesn't take much. No one is expected to know all the possible variants but being alert to the possibility that any new location is a potential hazard is wise.

the only place I would ever consider using a fender is on the Nene and only because of the stupidly installed chains at low level

I didn't even use them there, but don't rope the boat tight against the side, I am happy for it to keep moving.

Fortunately my crew man doing the locking heard my yelling to drop the paddles immediately.

We have always told our crew, that if we sounded the horn, this would always indicate to drop all paddles asap. Haven't had to do it yet, and don't fancy having to.

• Greenie 1

Locks generally are tapered towards the bottom

Tim

That does somewhat surprise me, as I've never heard that before. It does make some sense from an engineering point of view. Any idea of the source of that information?

Sounds to me like operator malfunction!

4 pipe fenders at 2" each is 8" or being generous 3 as the middle ones will overlap, that's 6" wider than the two boats need to be and you are surprised?

K&A is somewhere I would definitely refuse to share locks with someone if they had fenders down.

Hopefully you will learn from this experience and lift your fenders when not moored.

I had a similar experience on the Caen Hill flight many years ago when the boat i was locking down with had pipe fenders, we wedged solid in one lock and it took half an hour to un-jam us, Our boat is 7ft wide and since then, not wishing to repeat the experience, I always ask other boats to lift their fenders before entering the lock, explaining the problem. If they refused, I would refuse to lock through with them. So far we have not had a problem.

Edited by David Schweizer

We have always told our crew, that if we sounded the horn, this would always indicate to drop all paddles asap. Haven't had to do it yet, and don't fancy having to.

That is what bothers me with engine off in locks, no horn

I had a similar experience on the Caen Hill flight many years ago when the boat i was locking down with had pipe fenders, we wedged solid in one lock and it took half an hour to un-jam us, Our boat is 7ft wide and since then, not wishing to repeat the experience, I always ask other boats to lift their fenders before entering the lock, explaining the problem. If they refused, I would refuse to lock through with them. So far we have not had a problem.

There is a notice on that lock now telling you to enter singly I think its 38 or 39

They do say otherwise but fail to explain how they help or what purpose they serve whilst underway.

Anyone care to explain?

Julynian (IIRC) says he likes the way they trail in the water.....

(Somebody shoot me, now!)

MtB

That does somewhat surprise me, as I've never heard that before. It does make some sense from an engineering point of view. Any idea of the source of that information?

Observation.