Absolutely mental mooring price

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Eta this is the nearest apartment to rent to that site. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-43700998.html/svr/2705;jsessionid=F3DCA97D908095A15E2215DFE1C8F2D8

No pets, no smoking, no kids, need to have a salary, that rules out most boaters up here, can you see why these silly prices happen?

Does it come with a free boat?

I thinbk reality is beginning to dawn and the desirablity of on-line moorings over marina ghettos is beginning to dawn on boaters en masse.

Hence the inability of marinas to hike their prices while CRT moorings rocket.

I pay more for my online mooring than the marina a mile away because I think it's better value for money. The marina environment is horrid, frankly.

MtB

This is a good point I have a good corner slot in a good working marina but the a shorter CRT mooring nearby went for more than I pay for a full length marina berth.

Does it come with a free boat?

This is a good point I have a good corner slot in a good working marina but the a shorter CRT mooring nearby went for more than I pay for a full length marina berth.

Another step towards a rich man's playground ;-)

Electric, hot and cold water, legal protection, maintenance probably inclusive, postal address and electoral role. Thus giving access to credit, Dr's etc etc. No, I don't see the comparison....

I would rather have that mooring than the miserable, sterile flat any day. They are tiny boxes on a noisy main road. Pathetic balcony, no garden. Oh ....and they wouldn't let to me anyway, but CRT would, dog and all........

Edited by Lady Muck

We've had a 70' on line mooring available at Swan Lane Wharf for months. We haven't filled it because everybody wants live aboard moorings and this is a leisure mooring

Edited by Tunneltug

I would rather have that mooring than the miserable, sterile flat any day. They are tiny boxes on a noisy main road. Pathetic balcony, no garden. Oh ....and they wouldn't let to me anyway, but CRT would, dog and all........

I would rather have the mooring as well, but preferably priced for what it realistically is.

I thinbk reality is beginning to dawn and the desirablity of on-line moorings over marina ghettos is beginning to dawn on boaters en masse.

I pay more for my online mooring than the marina a mile away because I think it's better value for money. The marina environment is horrid, frankly.

MtB

Do you mean marinas in general or a specific one ?

Eta this is the nearest apartment to rent to that site.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-43700998.html/svr/2705;jsessionid=F3DCA97D908095A15E2215DFE1C8F2D8

No pets, no smoking, no kids, need to have a salary, that rules out most boaters up here, can you see why these silly prices happen?

Which part rules out boaters?

Most of us on these moorings fit into at least one of those categories, (smoker, kids, pets, no regular salary),some of us, all of those categories.

There are less and less options open to us as the housing shortage means private landlords can cherry pick. So, people get boats instead, but, the moorings are scarce, you get these silly prices.

If mine goes up to match these prices, then guess what, I'll cc.

Edited by Lady Muck

I think reality is beginning to dawn and the desirability of on-line moorings over marina ghettos is beginning to dawn on boaters en masse.

MtB

I struggle with this comment Mike. If every canal boat owner decided to vacate a "marina ghetto" the cut would be full of boats end to end then we would get mass complaints "I'm always on tick over as I'm having to pass all these moored boats.

Anyway I like to keep our boat in a "marina ghetto" as it is peaceful, relatively secure and gets my boat away from the bank so when I am not using it it is not slowing others down.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't one of your boats in a marina?

Back in the early years of my career in IT (1977 onwards) online, with no hyphen, meant directly connected to the computer (and I mean the computer, lots of companies only had one) with a keyboard+screen dumb terminal or "VDU" rather than just feeding programs and data in on punched cards. Times change...

Whether a boater wants to be in a marina or on-line is surely going to depend on individual circumstances, and it seems to me the wise course for the CRT is to find the balance of licence fees which suits the most boaters; not forcing everyone into marinas but not letting any part of the cut become too clogged up with lines of parked boats.

My brother keeps his (fairly shiny!) boat in a marina primarily for its security; it's used about half the weekends in a year and for the odd longer trip on his annual leave, so the rest of the time when it's unoccupied he wants it out of harm's way. But once aboard on a Friday evening, if there's daylight left he'll get it out of the marina, go a little way and moor on the towpath for the night just for the change of scenery. I prefer that too; it somehow feels more like boating when I'm not sleeping in the marina, and the view from the window in the morning is better. The weekend boaters will probably always want marinas for security, so they won't be coming out en masse anytime soon to clog up the towpath. Except from Pillings Lock maybe.

The number of people who want to live aboard a boat and never be far from central London is, from all the anecdotal evidence in this forum, steadily rising, and inevitably this means that prices fetched at auction by any mooring which can be used (or misused) for this purpose will rise too. It goes without saying that CRT must have proper security procedures in place to ensure the auction process cannot be rigged, in order to protect their income, but that's a separate issue from any questioning of whether auctions are the right policy. I happen to think they are, because it's the fairest way to allocate a scarce resource and it makes CRT lots of badly needed money to spend repairing locks and embankments, dredging etc. all over the network.

Not that I want to see the Regent's canal become just a lucrative marina full of static boats, they should keep and properly enforce enough short-term visitor moorings so that everyone gets the opportunity to bring their boat through London and experience the probably rather scary trip up the Thames. I've seen the river enough from the embankments, bridges, a few larger boats and office windows over the years to know it's not natural narrow boat territory.

Another group of boaters, not that everyone fits neatly into categories, is those who live aboard with no mooring and wander all over the system, often referred to as the "genuine CC'ers". These people are the salt of the earth I suspect, often the ones who know and care the most about the canals, and I get the impression that the CRT know it and value them.

Its strange we nearly all bid on ebay and pay but on these online auctions people default to get the mooring at a knockdown price? When we register to bid maybe a surity would be the best or a reference from a bank?

Peter

Its strange we nearly all bid on ebay and pay but on these online auctions people default to get the mooring at a knockdown price? When we register to bid maybe a surity would be the best or a reference from a bank?

Peter

That would mean one helluvalot of work for CRT staff. Too much really, and people simply would not bid if the had to arrange a bank reference to register.

The problem is far simpler. ID of the bidders is all that's required to peel out the false registrations necessary for this fraud. Using your boat licence number would suffice in most cases but for the few bidders not yet owning a boat on CRT waters, something else would be needed. Maybe a credit reference check...

MtB

Paul C, on 05 Apr 2014 - 1:16 PM, said:Paul C, on 05 Apr 2014 - 1:16 PM, said:

Why doesn't CRT just list them on eBay?

Because they would have to pay ebay their commission

10% for business users in the sections "Furniture, Holidays & Travel

Paypal then take 3.4% + £0.20 (handling fee)

So if C&RT sold a mooring for £10,000 they would actually only get £8659.80

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Because they would have to pay ebay their commission

10% for business users in the sections "Furniture, Holidays & Travel

Paypal then take 3.4% + £0.20 (handling fee)

So if C&RT sold a mooring for £10,000 they would actually only get £8659.80

Whereas with their fraud-susceptible system they occasionally end up with about £2k....

MtB

A much better solution (IMHO) would be a registration system - similar to eBay

There IS one.

And exactly like on ebay, there is nothing to stop fraudulent or multiple registrations beyond cross-checking on email addresses. So get yourself a disposable email address and just like on ebay, you can start disrupting (or worse) the auctions for the real bidders.

I think it needs to be more like the system used by Paypal where you have to link your credit or debit card or bank account to it. That would stop most of the multiple fraudulent registerers.

MtB

Do away with online moorings. Build more marina's. Put electric on the onine moorings and let them out on a nightly basis in summer, then let them as winter moorings for winter months..... ;-) saying this tongue in cheek of course.

Do away with online moorings. Build more marina's. Put electric on the onine moorings and let them out on a nightly basis in summer, then let them as winter moorings for winter months..... ;-) saying this tongue in cheek of course.

No need. Make everyone return to all those new marina berths for the winter...

MtB

MtB

Yes I'm moving to on on line spot too (well almost - behind an island on private bank) - and paying more than I am at the mo cos I don't like marina's. Nothing against the one I'm in now - it's better than most, I just don't like them.

Edited by mark99

People don't tend to want to leave when they get these moorings, either, there are people on the unserviced moorings that have had them for almost 30 years, well before BWB took them over and perhaps half the original people on ours - think our mooring has been here in this form for 16 years? Tottenham is not everyones cup of tea, but I love it here, great location and neighbours, lovely garden, feels like middle of nowhere yet I can be in town in half an hour. We have a large area for growing food, we planted fruit trees and there are wood stores.The dog loves it too because he can run free in here, there are two other dogs here and they are in and out of each others boats all day. I'm never short of dog sitting or walking, it feels like a proper community and we have made friends for life.

If we do get forced off due to rising costs - I'm assuming we might and have started getting the boat sorted for full time cruising just incase - large solar array is ready to be installed - then I think I'd do a marina somewhere for the winter then cruise in the summer - it would be ok, but I'd find it annoying not being able to just let the dog out like I do here.

Edited by Lady Muck

• 2 months later...

CRT have changes to the online auction system planned to close the "No ID" loophole and prevent people from pulling off the shill-bidding scam.

I found this thread as I am looking to rent a mooring, and as I didn't know what "shill bidding" was, I looked it up.

"Shill Bidding:It is an international fake bidding by the seller to increase the price of his own item that is up for bid. This is done by the sellers themselves making bids on their own items purposely to increase the price of his item." http://www.tutorhunt.com/resource/5964/

It is CRT who is the seller of these moorings, right? So if they were shill bidding, the incentive to stop that from happening would not be likely.

It seems that the type of auction fraud that is being described in this thread is actually "Multiple Bidding". Unless I am missing something and some people actually think that CRT are bidding in their own auctions to increase the price.

MtB

I'm not sure there is a better way to determine the price of moorings other than by market forces.

We've just finished a week on the virtually deserted forth & Clyde & Union canals. BW Scotland have spent a fortune on miles of fully serviced residential online moorings and are advertising them heavily http://www.livingonwater.co.uk/index.php/homepage/show/home/home - and a mere handful are occupied. You even get a little beach hut type storage unit with a post box in! Given what CRT are doing in England, the difference is staggering.