some people don't help themselves

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

20140317_091145.jpg

Now, maybe BW/C&RT shouldn't put a water point on a single lock mooring, but this is taking the piss.

We approached this lock today to drop down onto the river. It's a single mooring for lock operation. The guy wasn't taking water, it looked like he was having breakfast actually.

I'm sure it would have done the water point a lot of good if the wind blew the boat around too much. Yes it was windy.

Bob

Similar water point to one on the Lee. Can't remember which lock it is, but the water point is actually on the side of the lock keepers cottage, so you have to moor IN the lock to fill up! (Bet somebody has a better memory than me and will name it in - 5 minutes?)

Similar water point to one on the Lee. Can't remember which lock it is, but the water point is actually on the side of the lock keepers cottage, so you have to moor IN the lock to fill up! (Bet somebody has a better memory than me and will name it in - 5 minutes?)

Mexborough bottom lock on the S&SY Navigation is the same. The tap is on the lock keepers control 'tower'

Did he have fenders down as well.......

....gets coat and goes home...

Aye, don't forget about the pump out that's in the lock at long sandal on the South Yorkshire

looks more like a Cassette kind of guy.....

....takes off coat and grabs popcorn...

Old Ford? Or Picketts?

You're possibly thinking of Old Ford Lock on the Regents Canal.

You're possibly thinking of Old Ford Lock on the Regents Canal.

Nope, the other one near the Olympic Park. I used the Elsan there recently and i'm sure I noted the tap was positioned so it was only realistically possible to use it whilst in the lock.

I was told that a lot of locks had water points so that the working boaters could fill their can while they were passing through the lock, without wasting any time. I don't know if it's true or not.

I know you have been boating long enough to remember some Allan!

One of my memories from the early 1970s, was when the converted Josher "Fox", had Joe and Rose Skinner in tow on "Friendship", and was taking them on a tour to London.

The Berkhamsted water point then was in Raven's Lane lock.

"Fox" took out a long hose, and spent at least half an hour filling its capacious tank, (which was great, as we got to have a long chat with the Skinners - I was "star" struck!). When they were finally done, Joe to his single water can over, and filled it in about 30 seconds flat.

It was probably the most stark statement I have seen of the difference between minimalist living in a back cabin, and "modern" (which cledarly "Fox" itself was not) leisure boats, with loads of on board facilities.

Whilst not actually in the lock, the water point at Nash Mills still remains just outside it, meaning that boats filling up are thoroughly in the way when attempting to work the lock.

I would have been tempted to cast that line off.

What did he think those funny white mushroom things were there for?

Definitely tempting, but I'm not that vicious. I just hate inconsiderate mooring.

Bob

I know you have been boating long enough to remember some Allan!

True under. Thing is I remember the taps being there, I'm just not sure whether the reason is so as to be convenient for the boaters, or just because that was where the water pipe was. Probably a bit of both.

If you rely on cans then grabbing a top up at every chance is a must. It amazes me how little water I use on the boat and still keep me and everything else clean.

Although I now have the luxury of tanked water, I too grab a top up whenever I can. Filling takes a minute or two and, if necessary, I can skip a planned watering stop if it is busy. Leaving a tank until it is well down is a pain for me and for any boat waiting behind me.

George ex nb Alton retired

The signwriter who did our boat made that sign. He also made a sign for the butty that boaters use for socials. Like a pub sign that says, The Lock and Punt. The letters L and P are on pegs so they can be removed and changed for other letters which he made too. By the end of the night the sign almost always says the same thing. ;-)

I woulda thought the sensible thing to do was to have tapped on his window/door and pointed out that his barge (heh!) could rip the water pipe support away, and said that's wot the mushroom thingies are for... perhaps his breakfast was magic mushrooms...?

Edited by Emerald Fox