Just how representative are we?

carlt

Featured Posts

Rod from Tod uses the analogy of conversations you have down the pub, which a lot of the time I think is probably near the truth of it.

What characterises such "forums" is a free expression of views with no real penalty except when you mispronounce something in which case the ribbing can, and does, go on for several generations.

It's not the Oxford Union, points of view are not well thought out and rehearsed before expression, there is nothing at stake and no winners and losers, well not most of the time.

But, I often wonder if certain important matters of state had been left up to a few blokes down the pub, would the world be in a much worse state than it is at the moment? I can tell you one thing for certain, England would have won the World Cup more than once, Concorde would still be flying, we would still have steam engines, the Old Grey Whistle Test would still be on TV and beer would be heavily subsidised. On the other hand we might have brought back capital punishment and Jeremy Clarkson might be in the House of Lords.

What I'm saying is, if CRT took their lead from the views expressed on CWDF, would the end result be anathema to the vast majority of canal enthusiasts? Personally I doubt it would - but maybe I'm not very representative?

I didn't know you could get a sticker!

You can't AFAIK.

A load were printed long ago but efforts to repeat the printing order have failed so far I believe. Happy to be proved wrong though!

Nothing stopping anyone motivated enough arranging their own new stickers though, and offering them to board members.

MtB

That is, of course, a difficult obstacle for the forum to overcome.

Perhaps Daniel could breed some carrier pigeons to collect posts from those who choose not to be online.

We could have one of those vacuum messaging systems like they used to have in Dept stores, Fosters and Burtons and the like. They were great!

We could have one of those vacuum messaging systems like they used to have in Dept stores, Fosters and Burtons and the like. They were great!

Far too hi-tech!

I prefer the cash ball system in the Beamish Museum shop:

beamish03.jpgbeamish04.jpg

Nothing stopping anyone motivated enough arranging their own new stickers though, and offering them to board members.

MtB

Realistically, that's the best way of doing this. Any volunteers?

Richard

I haven't got a sticker and I haven't got enough glass to stick one anyway. By the time I get a licence disc in each engine room porthole it only leaves the cabin one and I'd like a bit of light.

The forum, no idea of who it represents but I know three people who think its full of idiots and boring old farts so they don't read it.

Realistically, that's the best way of doing this. Any volunteers?

Richard

I think the easiest way will be to make a standard design available for download and folk can print there own. The only snag will be inkjet prints fading in sunlight but once you have downloaded you can just print another. It does help if you use a spray varnish over the print but it will still fade in the end.

I think the easiest way will be to make a standard design available for download and folk can print there own. The only snag will be inkjet prints fading in sunlight but once you have downloaded you can just print another. It does help if you use a spray varnish over the print but it will still fade in the end.

We need a designer first

Richard

We need a designer first

Richard

I could give it a go.

ISTR a design was proposed but consensus was that a space to put the owner's forum name would be a Good Idea, and then it all stalled.

MtB

Sometimes it is best not to do certain things by committee.

We've got stickers - we actually got ours a week before we got the boat and it was a proud moment when I affixed them to our windows (I know - sad - but there you go).

I love this forum - it's given us so much help and information, particularly during those first few months when our learning curve was almost vertical. It's also provided us with a whole heap of friends for life - and I'm sure there's more out there.

As for the original question - that's quite a difficult one. There are a lot of people on here that don't post for many different reasons. I'm no shrinking violet but for a long time I found it difficult to post anything potentially contentious or argue with any long standing members because the combative nature of the forum quite frankly scared me. There are also those, like my husband, that may feel strongly about issues but can't be arsed to get into the ping pong volley of arguments that quite often descend into posts like "grizzle grizzle" as an excuse for debate. They read the information available to them, but does that mean they're represented? I also take on board Sue's comment - there are a lot of boaters who don't have internet access, so we don't represent them. It would be very interesting to know what proportion of boaters have internet access. Obviously we're not expecting Dan to provide carrier pigeons, but if you're discussing whether this forum represents boaters surely that's an important statistic.

IMO CWDF is the best online resource available to boaters, but I doubt very much that it truly represents the majority of boaters.

When on my boaty travels, which at the moment are few, I can count the number of forumites I meet on one hand, excluding banters.

Since joining CWDF in 2008 I have only seen 3 other boats with CWDF stickers. Yes I realise that many may not want to.

IMHO I do not feel we are representative of the wider canal world.

I don't think we need a sticker to be recognised!

Rod from Tod uses the analogy of conversations you have down the pub, which a lot of the time I think is probably near the truth of it.

But, I often wonder if certain important matters of state had been left up to a few blokes down the pub, would the world be in a much worse state than it is at the moment? I can tell you one thing for certain, England would have won the World Cup more than once, Concorde would still be flying, we would still have steam engines, the Old Grey Whistle Test would still be on TV and beer would be heavily subsidised. On the other hand we might have brought back capital punishment and Jeremy Clarkson might be in the House of Lords.

I think the forum works really well. Just like the opinions given in a pub though, you will get a good mix of ideas. Just take them with a pinch of salt.

That's what I love about British pubs and boating is the mix of characters.

We were in an isolated Cornish pub last November. Our daughter is at Plymouth Uni. The locals were great, big beards, long hair and shaggy dogs. Recognised our accents and pinpointed our home 300 miles away immediately. Full of knowledge and great fun.

The Marquis of Bath lookalike turned out to be a retired Uni professor.

I love the forum and long live the British pub.

It seems self evident to me that folk who live on the cut 365 days a year are likely to have more knowledge and experience than those like myself who can only manage, say 20 - 30 days a year.

That reminds me of my former boss who referred to some teachers claiming 30 years experience, when what thay actually meant was that they had repeated the same experience 30 times.

Similarily some boaters have a different experience each day for 30 to 40 days each year, whilst some have the same experience every day year after year.

Edited by David Schweizer

I haven't got a sticker and I haven't got enough glass to stick one anyway. By the time I get a licence disc in each engine room porthole it only leaves the cabin one and I'd like a bit of light.

The forum, no idea of who it represents but I know three people who think its full of idiots and boring old farts so they don't read it.

Then they are missing out on a great deal of useful info. and at times a good laugh.

The vibe and atmosphere of this forum is replicated across many across the internet, particularly ones moderated with a similarly light touch. The fact that some people don't read it because of the reasons stated means they probably don't participate in many or any other forums either.

It's their loss and certainly not ours.

That reminds me of my former boss who referred to some teachers claiming 30 years experience, when what thay actually meant was that they had repeated the same experience 30 times.

Similarily some boaters have a different experience each day for 30 to 40 days each year, whilst some have the same experience every day year after year.

Exactly....

I have found the forum a place to read a variety of opinions and counter views. This allows me the opportunity to develop my own thinking on issues. Over the years I have learned huge amounts from other forum members, and reformulated my ideas on many issues, both boating related and general. I have also seen others say that forum discussions have changed their views. I have no doubt that there are many others who have shifted their stance, but have not come back to say so. I believe that the exposure to other peoples' POV makes us more tolerant of our differences. To me this must be a good thing.

As a member of a regional partnership, I am very aware that not everyone thinks that they are a good thing. However they are the way that CRT has chosen to engage with 'stakeholders', and I believe that if they didn't find representatives that they consider can represent a stakeholder POV, then they would find others who don't fit the bill so well. I believe that the forum has allowed me to represent the boater POV better than I would have done otherwise.

I have always thought that if someone argues a point better than me, then I need to get more information. Either I am wrong, or I need to sharpen my arguments. While there may be a degree of 'rough and tumble' in forum discussions, it does provide a good place to improve your argument and discussion style. Which, as I'm typing makes me wonder about how we should view criticism of spelling, grammar and post style. Before you come back with the idea that I condone any criticism of these things, I don't, but I would appreciate comments to help me to hone my own views.

Typed on a tablet, which won't let me see the whole post....

When I read Jenlyn's original comment my immediate reaction was absolute rubbish, the number of "active" members must

be into three figures surely.

Out of interest, by my reckoning 30 members have contributed to this thread so far.

I'm wondering is there a way the forum can be interrogated to reveal how many members post say daily, weekly, etc?